Raven (Raven, #1) by Kimberly Brockman

Raven (Raven, #1)

by Kimberly Brockman

511,436,638 (4)None

Like everyone else I have too many books on my Goodreads to-read shelf and it's become a strategic decision making quandary to decide what to read next. What I am in the mood to read now, something spicy, funny, mysterious etc? After reading the synopsis to quite a few books I read Raven's and it sounded interesting and mysterious and peeked my curiosity. Boy I had no idea how mysterious a read this story was going to be.

Raven started as a slow paced story of mostly fear, regret and sadness. Rayne is a young girl dealing with constant terror and torture filled nightmares and haunting's that make her think she was losing her mind. And not only that, but Rayne was mourning the death of her older sister who she had a very close relationship with. I understood Rayne's sadness but I understood even more when the events leading up to her sister's death were revealed. Rayne blamed herself for her sister's demise, she felt like she wasn't there when her sister needed her the most and later because she found out that she was the actual target. And why was Rayne the target? That's where the mystery came in, half way through the book I still didn't know entirely what was going on. I had some information but not enough to figure out what or why is Rayne's life in turmoil and why is she being stalked by evil forces. This story was so mysterious and intriguing I couldn't wait to find out what the heck is the truth of it all.

I was so happy when Chase Turner appeared in her life, yes he brought his own dangers with him to Rayne's life, but she needed someone to lean on other than her peppy friend Danielle. Chase was confident, a huge flirt, and the swoony good looks to go with all that. I so hoped that he wouldn't play games with Rayne's emotions because no surprised there he brought out her insecurities. He was sweet, and instantly protective of Rayne. Chase is a Raven, the product of an immortal and a human, which made him an immortal himself but his background stems from dark forces which made him afraid that telling Rayne would make him lose her.

Then there is Alexander Lawson, Rayne's childhood friend who abandoned her with a move to England, only to return looking better than he every had, which had all the girls in school all over him. He was another mystery to figure out. Rayne wanted answers from him why he just disappeared from her life and then to return so out of the blue?

Rayne had a lot to deal with, evil haunting her and strange people warning her of her fate, a mysterious guy in her life, and lest not forget the horrible nightmares. I was so anxiety ridden for her safety and she drove me crazy how much she liked to walk everywhere. Every time someone offered her ride she turned it down, preferring to walk and she had me nervous every time. Gah.

Even though the world building took some time to develop the bits and pieces had me guessing on what the supernatural forces haunting Rayne might be and why. I'm still not a hundred percent sure on why 'they' wanted Rayne, but I did find out who they are. I don't want to give away anything so I won't say what it's all about but it has a lot to do with Chase and stuff that happened before he even existed that he was born into. This story was not high energy or action packed but it had a lot of other things going for it. The story development had me enamored, and it had characters who developed as the story progressed. You see different sides of them and changes to their persona depending on the situation. Raven was an absorbing story that made me think and by the end it had me tearing up. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Oct 22, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,167,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible