The Wrong Girl by C. J. Archer

I received a copy of this book months ago through Library Thing in exchange for an honest review. I am so glad I finally read this book! This was very well written. The characters are colorful and complex, the story line is interesting and steady paced. There are some great twists. I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the rest of what this Author C.J. Archer has written. I will be purchasing everything she ever wrote because if the rest are as good as this, then I need to have them. I am especially excited to see how this series ends. This book could be stand alone, but I am very happy that it isn't. ( )
  juliehall2015 | Oct 28, 2015 |
Thank you to the author for providing me a copy to review.

I had a lot of trouble with this book. A supernatural Gothic novel set in England had me very interested. Unfortunately, I wasn't too captivated from the start. Hannah and her friend Violet Wade were kept locked in an attic their entire lives. Hannah has narcolepsy and her friend Violet can start fires with her mind. Hannah is soon kidnapped and sent to Frakingham House, aka Freak House because of her assumed fire-starting abilities. Trouble is, she's the wrong girl. If she tells them she's the wrong girl, though, her best friend Violet will be taken instead..,Not to mention there's a charmingly handsome fire-starter named Jack who is to be her teacher.

I had a lot of trouble with the way the plot unfolds in the first half of the book. I think that's why it was so hard for me to get through it. I knew the premise of her being "the wrong gir" couldn't last too long, especially because eventually shed have to show her fire starting abilities. It seemed, therefore, kind of silly to me to be reading a story when I knew it would have to come out eventually and it was sort of bland. However, about halfway in this started to get good. Very good. The story picked up pace and became extremely interesting and the mysteries grew. I totally didnt see where the story was going, so I started then to really enjoy reading it.

If I had to rate the first half of the book I would give it 1 star. If I had to rate the second half is give it 4 stars and tell you ill probably read the next book in the series. So, to be fair I'll go in the middle and give it 3 stars.

I'd recommend this book for people who like gothic mysteries with a touch of romance. ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
I chose this book because I read it was a gothic romance. It was gothic, but had no romance. ( )
  Sharon612 | May 28, 2014 |
So in digging through my books on my Kindle I came across this little gem and read it this afternoon. Not only is it a Gothic romance, but it's got a supernatural mystery in it as well as a snarky main character, or maybe I should use the word "cheeky"? In any case, Hannah definitely livens up the atmosphere of the typical Gothic landscape and made this a fun enjoyable novel.

The story takes place in England, somewhere in the countryside. Hannah is the companion to an Earl's daughter who has a strange affliction. Because of this, they have sequestered the daughter to the attic (don't think Flowers in the Attic) a comfortable if somewhat sparse place. Hannah, an orphan of servants, is lucky, she could be on the streets or in an orphanage, but instead can roam about the attic, has a true friendship with the Earl's daughter Violet, and they even get to roam about the gardens on occasion. She has had the tutoring of a privileged upbringing and her belly is always full, her rooms always warm. But she can't help but look about when they come downstairs and out the front door to walk the gardens, wondering what it would be like to come an go. She is fiesty even if she is only a companion to the Earl's daughter. She's secure in her position so she doesn't hold her tongue with the governess or the footman who speaks to Lady Violet but ignores her. This sort of explains her spirit-

"Good afternoon, Pearson," I said breezily. (Pearson is the footman holding the door as they go out.) He hadn't addressed me, but sometimes, when I was feeling particularly irreverent, I cast aside the rules of propriety, I was, after all, a prisoner, a narcoleptic and a companion to a lady who started fires with her mind. Propriety was the least of my concerns.

As the summary says, Hannah gets snatched instead of Violet, but she plays along with the kidnappers pretending she is Violet to keep her friend safe. The confusion is believable, no one knows the one from the other except the governess who was conveniently missing at the time of the kidnapping. They both have red hair though Hannah describes her own as "orange!" and Violet's as mahogany. The biggest concern is what will the kidnappers do when they find out she isn't Violet. But Hannah wakes up in a carriage with a pert blonde girl, about her age who happily offers her reticule (after she empties it) for her just in case her stomach is upset. And again, in keeping with her cheeky attitude, Hannah throws up in it and offers it back to her. That's Hannah!

So, no Jane Eyre's or Cathy's. A really fun character in a somewhat confusing situation. I can't say more without ruining the surprise of it. It was predictable in some places, but the fun dialogue especially between Jack and Hannah and the mad scientist, August Langley made it less so. Hannah had a bit of the rush in without thinking first that so many heroines do, but I can forgive her given the giggles she gave me. I am very curious to see where the story leads. And according to Goodreads and the author's website, the next book releases soon. ( )
  hrose2931 | Sep 5, 2013 |
This was one fantastic read! A really fascinating story which I couldn't put down, so this is easily a 5 stars.

The characters really came to life for me, and there was plenty of mystery and drama, and even a spark of romance.

Hannah was loyal and strong, Jack was headstrong and Sylvia? Well, I still think she's hiding something. Bollard was creepy and more than a little scary.

The twists in this book are excellent and I wasn't even expecting most of them. It's great to be surprised by a book, by the way the plot is woven, especially when there are so few original ideas out there. I don't know if this book will be to everyone's tastes, but I freaking love it, it's an excellent start to the series which I know I will continue reading.

I am now more eager than ever to read C.J. Archer's Emily Chambers series, that little reference has got me intrigued. Thank goodness I already have the first book!

I don't understand the cover though, isn't Hannah a fiery red-head?

I received a copy via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Corazie | Jul 25, 2013 |

It's customary for Gothic romance novels to include a mysterious girl locked in the attic. Hannah Smith just wishes she wasn't that girl. As a narcoleptic and the companion to an earl's daughter with a strange affliction of her own, Hannah knows she's lucky to have a roof over her head and food in her belly when so many orphans starve on the streets. Yet freedom is something Hannah longs for. She did not, however, want her freedom to arrive in the form of kidnapping. Taken by handsome Jack Langley to a place known as Freak House, she finds herself under the same roof as a mad scientist, his niece, a mute servant and Jack, a fire starter with a mysterious past. They assure Hannah she is not a prisoner and that they want to help her. The problem is, they think she's the earl's daughter. What will they do when they discover they took the wrong girl?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:50 -0400)

C. J. Archer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,446,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible