Sing the Midnight Stars (Rift) (Volume 1) by…

Sing the Midnight Stars (Rift) (Volume 1)

by C.M.J. Wallace

212,551,640 (4)None
Recently added byWingedWolf, catya77

I did enjoy this book, and I have to say, I love the characters. They have a great deal of depth, and their personalities and reactions suit their backgrounds. The plot is intriguing, and the mystery is gripping. At the end of the first book, I haven't guessed a thing about who the killer is, or where all of this will lead!

Now, I also have to admit that I struggled over this rating, and I almost had to give it three stars. It was saved by all of the above, BUT... this book is in dire, critical need of copyediting. The first three chapters are the worst, and the first chapter was incredibly difficult to get through at all. Overly long sentences, colorful and excessive prose, and a proliferation of metaphors and similes were the main culprits. This could be a GREAT book... but it's not yet ready to be published, and that is the truth. It has one of the most amazing first lines of any book I've ever read... and I don't mean that in a good way, I'm afraid. That having been said, I really hope the author will work with a copyeditor to fix these issues, and I also urge readers to wade through those first chapters, because it really does smooth out, and becomes much more readable later on; it's worth the effort. ( )
  WingedWolf | Aug 13, 2016 |

This is not a stand-alone book but is the first volume in the Rift series.

A cold-blooded killer lusts for others' magic. A drug-addicted detective vows to thwart him. Dragged into a dangerous homicide investigation, Andrin Sethuel alone stands between the killer's murderous desires and his future victims' salvation, a kingdom's freedom and its enslavement.

Andrin has survived a childhood that should have destroyed him. Slavers brutally murdered his parents in front of him, ripped him away from everything he knew, and addicted him to drugs. The aftermath leaves him warring against hostility, prejudice, and suspicion on every front. And it leaves him entrenched in self-loathing. Yet despite the odds, he becomes head of the Torvian kingdom's criminal investigative forces.

Andrin speculates that the killer scythes magic from his victims to reap power and augment his burgeoning might, but such a capability is unthinkable. And wielding spells without a catalyst should be impossible. Yet irrefutably, the killer is wrenching his victims' craft away with his own unimaginable sorcery, growing more powerful and treacherous with each successive murder.

While Andrin struggles to expose the murderer and his search for the killer turns into a fight for his life, lies and duplicity threaten to rip his only friend from him--and she's keeping a secret that could be the key to solving the murders. Andrin is forced to choose between his friend and his duty, and ultimately between his king and a betrayal that will save his country from a ruthless conqueror's invasion.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:52 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,815,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible