13 by James Phelan

Sam, Eva, and Alex find themselves kidnapped and in a helicopter . They soon find themselves at The Academy where Sam becomes one of the Thirteen. The thirteen must save the world from evil but first the other 12 must be found. Alex and Eva become Sam's team as they fight off bad guys.
All 13 books are published by Scholastic and have been available from some time. A slow starter for middle grade readers, this series picks up speed fast.Readers of Harry Potter will read them all. ( )
  oldbookswine | Jun 6, 2016 |
ARC ( )
  melcbooks | Mar 16, 2016 |
Sam wakes from his nightmare to discover the terrifying reality. It will come true.
Kidnapped from school and finding out his parents aren't who he thinks they are, Sam is suddenly running from danger at every turn. Nothing will ever be the same again.
He alone can find the last thirteen. (www.goodreads.com)
I was fairly disappointed with this book but I guess the kids will lap it up. I thought it was a lot like Muchamore's Cherub series and thus also like Horowitz's Alex Rider series...boy finds out his entire life is a lie....mmm...parents aren't really his parents, has to do a mission, blah blah. I probably will not read the others. ( )
  nicsreads | Mar 18, 2015 |
Exciting storyline that has kept 7 classes engaged and interested. Even to the point of disappointment when we have to stop reading. As an adult reader there are some areas of inconsistency but even with these the story was enjoyable. ( )
  Denise_Barrington | Sep 4, 2014 |
The Last Thirteen Book One: 13 by James Phelan is the first book in a new multi-platform series for 10-14 year olds. The publisher compares this book to Inception and The Da Vinci Code, but I also see similarities with Divergent and with Rick Riordan novels. Essentially the plot is this: thirteen kids are prophesied to save the world from impending doom with their powers of true Sight and mysterious ability to dream things before they happen or to dream the answers they seek.

The series skews towards a male audience. The characters are fairly flat, but the lack of character development allows for more action, destruction, and suspense. The series features teen heroes with a lot of power and responsibility. These are characters to look up to, who make selfless and logical decisions based on the greater good of others. The adult characters in this book tend to be unreliable and suspicious, if not dangerous. Make of this what you will, but all the heroics are achieved by the younger characters.

There is violence, but it's fairly muted in the use dart guns and smoke grenades. No matter what potentially fatal situation occurs, the characters remain as resilient as cartoon characters. They walk away from explosions and helicopter crashes without as much as a broken bone. For readers who like this kind of excitement, parents can feel good that the kids are reading something they like, something with as much destruction as Allegiant, without the deaths and gore.

There was something that bothered me in the opening scene. The main character (Sam) is dreaming of Solaris (the enemy), who is telling him to surrender a mysterious and obviously important crystal that has appeared in his pocket. I'm a #Potterhead... this scene was a little TOO familiar to me. Really? A powerful magical item appearing in one's pocket and a villain creepily taunting a kid? For example, Harry Sam wouldn't surrender the stone crystal to Voldemort Solaris, even when he threatened to kill everyone he knows.

"So brave, right until the end…” Its voice rattles around inside my skull. “At the final battle, just like the prophecy says, you will lead me to my rightful power, thinking all the while that you are saving these foolish people.”

"I have no idea what it is talking about but then I sense a weight in my pocket. I have something important that this thing wants… this heavy, round object.”

Regardless, it didn't sway my enjoyment of the story. The book ends with a heart-stopping cliffhanger, which will definitely get readers excited to start reading Book Two: 12. I was lucky to have access to both books, so I closed book one and went right to book two! These books are short, fast-paced, and great for reluctant chapter book readers. The book is accessible, full of action, destruction, and suspense. There are thirteen books in all; Book Two will be released February 1st, and then one book a month after that!

3.5 Stars ( )
  loveofreading | Jan 10, 2014 |

Kidnapped from school and finding out his parents aren't who he thinks they are, Sam is suddenly running from danger at every turn. With his life and identity shattered, Sam's salvation is tied to an ancient prophecy. He is in the final battle to save the world, up against an enemy plotting to destroy us all. He alone can find the last 13.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,136,694 books! | Top bar: Always visible