Cathedral of the Sea by Ildefonso Falcones

Cathedral of the Sea (2006)

by Ildefonso Falcones

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett (Smahler1986, OTVTT2010)
    OTVTT2010: Molemmat mieleenpainuvia lukukokemuksia, laadukasta viihdettä.
    World Without End by Ken Follett (Smahler1986)
    L'atles furtiu by Alfred Bosch (omaixant)
    Historia del rey transparente (Narrativa (Punto de Lectura)) (Spanish Edition) by Rosa Montero (LilianaL)
    LilianaL: Una novela historica muy linda y entretenida, con ingredientes como los cátaros y el norte de Caalunya

English (49)  Spanish (19)  Dutch (8)  Norwegian (6)  German (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  Czech (1)  Finnish (1)  Polish (1)  Hebrew (1)  French (1)  All languages (98)
I'm glad that I did not buy this book. When I visited bookstores, I saw it on the shelves, but I hesitated buying it.
That I'm now writing a review for this book is because one of my fellow BookCrossers released this book at a meeting I was at. And then I decided to give it a try.

And I'm happy I did, for it was a nice book.
I liked it, but there were a few minors too. Minor one for me was, that I absolutely lost track of all the names of riches and their families, allies, kings, sons, enemies. I am not very familiar with (royal) histroy of Souther Europe, so apart from unfamiliar names the came to me without context.
A second minor to me was, that the characters were quite flat. Apart from growing up, Arnau and his brother do not really develop. And the rest of the entourage is either good or bad, without too much grey areas.

But... I liked it for the richness of description of the life in Barcelona and surroundings in that period of time, how churches were built, the delicate balance between the different ethnic and religious groups. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Jul 15, 2015 |
La dramática vida de los Estanyol gira alrededor de la construcción de la Iglesia de Santa María del Mar. Novela ágil y de giros abruptos, centra en el Medievo barcelonés una trama que va de lo entrañable a lo trágico. ( )
  arpashl | Jan 16, 2015 |
Engrossing tale of two childhood friends, during the time of the inquisition. One, outrunning his hidden family history, grows from being a dockworker to one of the richest men in town. The other, an orphan, becomes an adopted brother, eventually becoming a priest. The two lives are intertwined, along with the building of the cathedral. The book covers a long period of time, but held my interest throughout. ( )
  Pmaurer | Nov 9, 2014 |
A very enjoyable read. I would compare this to Pillars of the Earth but it's not quite as good. It's definitely not heavy reading but don't let that put you off. After all a good story is a good story, you either enjoy a book or you don't. If you're a fan of literature set in mediaeval times or Ken Follett's [b:The Pillars of the Earth|5043|The Pillars of the Earth|Ken Follett|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1165517379s/5043.jpg|3359698] I would highly recommend it and it's a definite 'must read' for anyone who's living in Barcelona, like myself. ( )
  pcollins | Jul 27, 2014 |
First novel of Ildefonso Falcones, it tells the story and adventures of a servant during the Medium Age. His life will involve a lot of turning points during the story. ( )
  Anaveliz3 | Mar 25, 2014 |
¿Ildefonso Falcones o Ken Follett?
Falcones intentó una hazaña colosal con su primer libro, en el que empleó más de dos años, dar forma a un libro épico, pero todavía no estaba preparado para hacerlo. Follett dedicó más de una década a construir el suyo, tal vez por eso Ken formó “los pilares de la tierra”, un libro que nos sobrevivirá a todos e Ildefonso ideó la basílica de Santa María del Mar, un edificio tosco, repleto de ilusión y fe, pero con poca gracia y hermosura. El libro de Follett traspasó los conceptos localistas y creo una historia universal, donde lo de menos es el telón de fondo, pero Falcones construyó un mundo imaginado, una Barcelona que nunca ideal, el paraíso de pecheros y campesinos apaleados que se refugiaron en sus murallas para respirar la fresca brisa del mar Mediterráneo, pero se olvidó que aquella isla de luz y color nunca existió, que el burgo de Barcelona era uno más en el Reino de Aragón y sus hijos parte de un condado perdido en la periferia de la Cristiandad.
added by alipg89 | editEl País, bestsellerespanol (Jan 18, 2008)

Dla Carmen
To Carmen  (English translation)
"Num m omento em que ninguém parecia prestar-lhe atenção, Bernat ergueu o olhar para o límpido céu azul."
Bernat realized nobody was looking in his direction, and glanced up at the clear blue sky.  (English translation)

Begins in 1320.

The “riveting”(The Washington Post) #1 international bestseller—now in paperback in the U.S.

In the tradition of Ken Follett’s The Pillars of the Earth, here is a thrilling historical novel of friendship and revenge, plague and hope, love and war, set in the golden age of 14th-century Barcelona. Arnau Estanyol arrives in Barcelona and joins the powerful guild of stone-workers building the magnificent cathedral of Santa Maria del Mar, while his adoptive brother Joan studies to become a priest. As Arnau prospers, he secretly falls in love with a forbidden woman. When he is betrayed and hauled before the Inquisitor, he finds himself face-to-face with his own brother. Will he lose his life just as his beloved cathedral is finally completed, or will his brother spare him?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:16 -0400)

Set in 14th century Barcelona, the 80-year construction of the Church of Santa Maria affects the lives of the citizens, those who devoted their lives to building it, and those who were sheltered there.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,499,161 books! | Top bar: Always visible