Prince of Hearts (Elders and Welders…

Prince of Hearts (Elders and Welders Chronicles Book 1)

by Margaret Foxe

A light, fun, very enjoyable and pretty steamy read, ladies and gents! I will definitely recommend this to any fans of steampunk romance.

I only heard about Margaret Foxe last December and I confess that her marvellous cover swayed my opinion into buying and reading the book almost immediately. The main hero being a Russian prince was just a big, fat bonus point. *grinning*

The plot is essentially an easy to follow murder mystery slash romance, the world-building is thorough, but what really got me was the main heroine, Miss Finch was just riddled with wonderful flaws.

She was a horrible gambler, a penny dreadful story writer and a formidable blue stocking. I just adored her! You see, Miss Finch has been a long term secretary for Professor Romanov and she has had enough.

He is an impossible, stubborn, overbearing, extremely demanding and driven by his obsession with solving murder mysteries employer. He is also brooding and dark and a beautiful man with a string of mistresses following him around. She can't stand him, he doesn't notice her enough, and yet... nothing is as it seems. You know what is going to happen, right?

They will fall madly in love with each other among the danger and the impossibility of it all.

So if you need a bit of warmth and laughter in one of my favorite genres to start new year with a bang, this will be a nice reading choice. I'm going to read book #2 at some point, and hope you'll give Prince of Hearts a go. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Book – Prince of Hearts (Elders and Welders Chronicles #1)

Author – Margaret Foxe

Star rating - ★★★★★ Movie Potential - ★★★★★

Plot – very well planned and executed

Characters – very diverse and relatable

Ease of reading – very ease to read.

Cover - ✔ Suitable Title - ✔

Would I read it again – Yes

**I WAS GIVEN THIS BOOK, BY THE AUTHOR, IN RETURN FOR AN HONEST REVIEW**

This is my first steampunk book, ever! I have to say that it doesn't disappoint.

I was drawn into this book right from the very beginning. It gripped my heart, dragged me into the pages and made me feel for every single character.

I wasn't really sure what to make of Aline Finch, at first, but I really grew to love her. She's stubborn, independent and sticks up for herself in a time when women weren't supposed to. She's also fiery and a perfect match for Romanov. I love how she doesn't always say much, but her actions and body language screams so much more.

I love Romanov, or Sasha, and how he's got inner demons that don't just get glossed over or passed aside. I really enjoy getting to explore parts of his history, when they're appropriate. When the story demands it, we discover more about his past and how he's felt about his history.

I really like the fact that we get Sasha and Aline's POV. I think if we only got one, the story would fail, but if we had any more then it wouldn't be as enjoyable. I love seeing things from Finch's POV and then seeing how Sasha is dealing with the same event.

The two are an ideal match and I love the will-they-wont-they between them, the hot, spicy moments and the romance of the simplest elements of the story. Such simple things, that are realistic and normal, like Romanov putting her glasses back on for her or finding her adorable when she sneezes, come across as heartwarming and real.

I love the progression of the story and the criminal aspect. I'm a sucker for a great crime story and this story was that great. There was a supernatural element, the steampunk element and it all felt real and logical. There wasn't one thing that I didn't find believable or thought didn't fit the story.

The author is a really talented writer. I love the way she weaves emotional and mystery elements together, to make you care as much about the characters as you do about the solution to the crime. The whole plot is seamlessly put together, well executed and littered with little nuggets of newspaper clippings. I didn't know what to make of them at first, but then it was explained it was a really nice addition, like a parallel universe; it was super cute.

I really love the way the author combines Romanov's dark humour with the dark aspects of the book. He lightens up all situations, with his quick wit and his sarcasm. He's not, perhaps, my new favourite male MC.

Overall, a great book. Although I sussed out a few of the 'twists' in the plot, I was really happy with how they were revealed, when they were revealed and the overall execution of the book. Everything was considered in intricate detail, so that nothing was left out or left unexplained. ( )
  ElleLainey | Dec 17, 2014 |
Sent home with a pair of semi-mechanical Russian wolfhounds to slobber on her skirt when she was looking forward to seeing the sites of Paris is the last straw. Aline Finch doesn't care if she never sees her oblivious employer again. After all, she's engaged, getting married, and heading off to Egypt shortly, right?

Professor Romanov may have something to say about that plan - and given he's a centuries old, mostly immortal with some very bloody secrets, he'll probably have the last word. Or perhaps not, given the nature of Miss Finch.

Steampunk romance that balances nicely the juxtaposition of mechanical and romantical. Looking forward to reading more of the series. ( )
1 vote SunnySD | Oct 1, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,409,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible