Peril: A Novel (Bloodline Trilogy) by Jordyn…

Peril: A Novel (Bloodline Trilogy)

by Jordyn Redwood

195537,190 (4.5)None

Looking for an edgy suspense novel with heart-racing action and a chilling look at medical technology? Then you need to get a copy of Peril, the third book in Jordyn Redwood’s Bloodline Trilogy. Bringing together new characters with favorites from the previous books, this novel is a look into the ethics and morals of transplantation and abortion. It also begs the question, is there a limit to what science can or should do?

Morgan and Tyler Adams’ world has been shaken by tragedy and illness. Holding onto their marriage by a thread, the despair of losing a child and facing the necessity of a transplant have caused a dangerous rift in their relationship. And the pressures of job and family are adding to Morgan’s depression. In the midst of this, a child is murdered and another finds new life through the donor’s heart. But something sinister seems to be following this transplant recipient and others in the research that Tyler is doing. Can memories and traumatic events be transmitted through donated tissue?

Redwood offers up food for thought in Peril while producing a page-turning, action-packed thrill ride. Characters are well-developed — even the bad guys are given a well-rounded approach. And I loved the depiction of the dedicated nurses and staff in a PICU unit. Great for those who love suspense, Peril would be great for a discussion group with questions about when life begins, medical ethics and the consequences of science gone too far. Peril can be read as a standalone novel, but this trilogy is really good. Get them all!

Recommended.

Great For Book Clubs.

(Thanks to Kregel for my review copy. The opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Nov 14, 2013 |
In Peril, the final book of the Bloodline Trilogy, Morgan is a nurse in the pediatric intensive care unit. So, she is consistently surrounded by very sick children -- stressful, yes? Now add to that, just a month ago her friend and childcare provider for Teagan, her baby girl, murdered the little girl by shaking her -- oh, no, my heart breaks for Morgan. I understand her anger and attempts to hang on the Teagan. However, her marriage with Tyler is crumbling fast because she can’t let him in. Also, due to complications a few days before Teagan was born Morgan’s kidneys started to fail. She needs a kidney transplant...but does she even want to live?

Now she learns a secret about parents that continues to shake her foundation of Faith and trust. This twist also puts her in the middle of a very horrible situation!

I was able to review all 3 books of the Bloodline, and it’s been quite a ride! I really enjoyed Peril - very fast paced with interesting character and totally fascinating scientific possibilities. I love the experience and the amount of research the author, Jordyn Redwood, brings to her novels. You could read the books of the Bloodline Trilogy -- Proof, Poison, and Peril -- individually and still enjoy a great read. However, I would recommend that you dive in at the beginning.

As a family interested in action, mysteries, medical and law enforcement books, we will look forward to what Jordyn Redwood writes next!

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from Kregel Publications in exchange for a fair and honest review. ( )
  SarahSS | Nov 12, 2013 |
Having read the author's previous book I had to have this one. I love it when a book keeps throwing twists at you and leaves you unable to figure out what will happen next. I loved the fast pace, the characters, and the medical setting. The plot is amazing, I could feel the grief Morgan carried over the loss of their baby. Loved reading about her husband's work which is so interesting.

This is a clean, action packed, suspenseful, novel that I would recommend to anyone liking Christian fiction or just a great story.

I received a copy of this book free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  JoyAnne | Nov 11, 2013 |
Title: Peril (Bloodline Trilogy #3)
Author: Jordyn Redwood
Pages: 268
Year: 2013
Publisher: Kregel Publications
Peril as defined by Webster’s Dictionary means exposure to the risk of being injured, destroyed, or lost, and that is certainly the case with just about everyone in this gripping suspense-filled story. This novel can be read on its’ own, but readers would gain a richer experience if they would read the first two novels in the Bloodline Trilogy first.
Morgan Adams is the charge nurse in a pediatric intensive care unit. She is cool under pressure, but is suffering from severe depression after the loss of her baby daughter three months ago due to shaken baby syndrome perpetuated by her friend who was watching her baby while she went to work. Morgan also is dealing with her kidneys failing to work and the resultant dialysis treatments she must undergo in order to survive. With this condition, she knows it is highly unlikely that she will ever have any more children. Morgan holds herself responsible for her daughter’s death as she is a nursed trained to recognize trauma and/or signs of abuse, and she completely missed these signs in her own daughter until it was too late. Morgan has a very tenuous hold on life and often thinks about suicide. Her marriage is suffering and she can’t seem to summon enough energy to care. Then, Morgan’s mother drops a bombshell on her. A couple of days after that, Morgan lives through a Saturday that she will never forget. She has been keeping God out of her life and figures she deserves to die as punishment for her failure to prevent her daughter’s death. Will she return to God and life or take the easier road and just exist?
Tyler Adams is a cardiac surgeon and has taken on another part-time job as a consultant to help defray the increasing costs of Morgan’s medical expenses. His job at Neurogenics is to oversee patient care after receiving a neural graft implanted by Dr. Reeves. How is the U.S. Army involved? Tyler knows the recipients have voluntarily consented to the grafting procedure and that they are all former soldiers. Soon the patients begin having side effects which begin to increase in severity. Tyler brings this to the attention of Dr. Reeves and recommends stopping the program until an answer can be found, but Dr. Reeves is under pressure to get results and keeps performing procedures. Tyler knows his wife is grieving deeply about their daughter’s death and that she holds herself responsible. He longs to get back to the faith he once had before this death shattered their lives. He wonders if this is even possible.
This is a fantastic story with so much tension and suspense readers will not be able to put the book down; I know I couldn’t! The plot moves at a quick pace and the characters are portrayed in such a manner as to appear as real people with real emotions, thoughts and reactions. In the book, we see choices made by various characters and the high price paid by more than one. We see the results when man thinks he can really improve on God’s design for humanity. I have read all three books in this series and enjoyed them all. I recommend the entire series, and I’m looking forward to see what Jordyn Redwood writes about next.
My rating is 5 stars.
Note: I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book. The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ . Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Nov 8, 2013 |
I discovered Jordyn Redwood last year when I spied her first book in Sam's Club. The cover first drew me in, then the synopsis on the back cinched it.
She writes so well and I love medical thrillers. However, her books aren't just medical thrillers. She includes so much more. The inspiration in them is wonderful and a blessing to the reader.

This one, Peril, is her best yet and boy, is it great! She hits the ground running and doesn't let up until the last page! There is so much intense action and heartbreak that my own heart is pounding. At one scene, I felt as if someone had slammed into my chest, the shock was so great. My heart was truly and literally pounding. I felt like I was there!

Morgan Adams is a PICU nurse, an unlikely place for her since her own infant died a few months earlier. Morgan feels responsible for her daughter's death, even though she's not, and quite simply has no desire to stay in this world. But things around her are happening to draw her into truly wondering if this is indeed the path she wants to tread down.

Murders, underhanded medical experiments, life altering operations, horrible results fill this book. Redwood causes the reader to think and dig deep into their own emotions.

The reader feels Morgan's pain, her hearbreak, her despair. But underneath it all is the grace of God extending toward her, loving her, holding her even as she fights against a loving God.

An aside here: I was going through a personal issue in my own Christian walk and in one paragraph the author reminded me that God is indeed in control and I can surrender anything to His loving hands. Precious.

Don't make the mistake of not reading this book. In fact, don't make the mistake of reading the two previous books in this series, Poison and Proof.
This reader will always grab a Jordyn Redwood book off the shelf, not even reading the synopsis. Her name on the book is enough to make that decision. ( )
  SusanGibsonSnodgrss | Sep 30, 2013 |

Dr. Thomas Reeves is at the pinnacle of his career. The Department of Defense has awarded him a lucrative contract for his new research into superior autobiographical memory, which promises the ability to create combat troops able to quickly learn complex battle plans and enact them perfectly under the most demanding battlefield scenarios.

An elite unit has received neural grafts from fetal cadavers of genetically altered brain cells with enhanced NMDA receptors. The results are remarkable . . . until the recipients begin suffering hallucinations, nightmares, paralysis, . . . and death. Dr. Reeves searches for answers, but DOD insiders want him to stop the search.

The situation becomes public when pediatric ICU nurse Morgan Adams, Dr. Reeves’s daughter, is taken hostage by three research subjects in an attempt to force Dr. Reeves into disclosing why they are sick. If answers aren’t revealed within twenty-four hours, patients in the pediatric ICU will be killed.

This spine-tingling conclusion to the Bloodline Trilogy raises spiritual and ethical dilemmas torn directly out of today’s headlines. When does life begin? How far does commitment to family go? And can the sins of the father ever be forgiven?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:02 -0400)

"Pediatric nurse Morgan Adams feels like she can't face life much longer...When a rogue soldier from her husband's medical trials comes after her, Morgan is almost grateful--until the people she loves come under fire. Now, the pain of her past and the peril of her present may mean an explosive end for them all"--Back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,445,759 books! | Top bar: Always visible