Wrongful Death by Lynda La Plante

Wrongful Death

by Lynda La Plante

WRONGFUL DEATH is Book 9 of the Anna Travis Mysteries series written by Lynda La Plante.
This crime drama, police procedural is packed with detailed, interesting characters and very complicated crime scenes.
I thought our usual familiar characters - Anna Travis, James Langton, Mike Lewis, Paul Barolli, Paul Simms, Joan, Barbara - all were given a bit more personality and credit for their expertise.
Anna’s side trip to Quantico in Virginia didn’t ring true with me.
I did appreciate Ms. La Plante’s ‘A Note to the Readers’ about a discrepancy in the book that had to do with a previous title and plot point.
I am very impressed with all the titles in this series and have read and enjoyed every one. ( )
  diana.hauser | Dec 29, 2016 |
Six month ago Josh Reynolds was found dead. His death was ruled a suicide and the case was closed. A young man, awaiting trial for armed robbery, tells his guards that Reynolds was murdered and that he has information to share.
DCI Anna Travis is scheduled to leave for training at Quantico, as part of an exchange between the Met and the FBI. But first she got to review the case. It should have been a simple matter of tying up loose ends but it turns out to be a political powder keg.
This 500 page book hooked me from the first page. The only problems I had with it was the Fitzpatrick storyline, which was a continuation from the previous Anna Travis book. Having not read the previous book I was a little lost where that storyline was concerned. I also thought that 500 pages was a bit too long for this book. At the end I found myself skipping paragraphs when the author kept going over the same clues a number of times.
The two problems I had did not stop me from finishing and enjoying this book.

I won this book from Goodreads. ( )
  bah195 | Jan 7, 2015 |
WRONGFUL DEATH is the ninth book in the Anna Travis series from Lynda La Plante. Which therefore requires a confession. I started to struggle with this series around book 4 (DEADLY INTENT), and never managed to finish book 5 (SILENT SCREAM) or book 6 (BLIND FURY). So on the upside, I did manage to finish WRONGFUL DEATH. On the downside it was a disappointment.

Whilst the central premise, the re-investigation of the death of Josh Reynolds was an interesting idea, the cast of characters flat out didn't work for me. Can't remember the last time I've encountered so many characters that it was almost impossible to understand or connect with. In the earlier books I did finish, Anna Travis was a complicated and prickly character, but a dedicated investigator. In WRONGFUL DEATH she's still prickly and complicated, but considerably less convincing about it. A caricature.

Having said that, for the life of me I could not work out why Senior FBI Agent Jessie Dewar. What on earth she was doing there, why she had to be so universally unpleasant, difficult, opinionated, escaped me completely. Unless she was there to be the token out of step foreigner? Still can't get it straight in my own mind.

Then there's the rest of the office staff with the token over-worked, put upon one; the lazy, flittery one who never does anything but makes a lot of noise anyway, and the steady bloke in the background. Just a few too many caricatures.

Not helped by the presence somewhere in the upper echelons of DCS James Langton which also seemed odd. He seemed to bounce in, all in charge, and then bounce out all flustered by the higher up-upper echelons having it in for him. And then there was something about his marriage, and his past relationship with Travis, and then... to be honest I lost interest. Not quite before Travis heads off to the US, gets into another relationship, solves the local problems and steams back to the UK all ready to pick up the Reynolds case and solve it in one big bound....

And therein lies the biggest problem with this book, it starts out as slow as treacle, with only the characters to engage interest. And they don't. The plot then heads off into somewhere-else land and when everything's righted there, our hero returns to the UK to save that day as well. Which left me wondering even more what on earth Senior FBI Agent Jessie Dewar was there for.

Reading, as I do, rather a lot of crime fiction in a year, it's normally possible to find something positive. In the earlier books, even in the last one I finished, Travis was a good character who could lift a book's ranking, even one that has a flawed plot, or a lot of filler, or some daft red herrings. In WRONGFUL DEATH, however, she's not strong enough for that much heavy lifting.

http://www.austcrimefiction.org/review/wrongful-death-lynda-la-plante ( )
  austcrimefiction | Dec 18, 2013 |

Six months after the body of Josh Reynolds, a London nightclub owner, was found and determined by police and coroner to be a suicide, DCS James Langton tasks DCI Anna Travis to review the case. Reynolds died from a single gunshot wound to the head, the gun held in his right hand. But details are emerging that suggest someone else may have fired the gun...As soon as she wraps up the case, Langton tells Anna, she can join him at the FBI Academy in Virginia for training. Meanwhile, a Senior FBI Agent, Jessie Dewar, crime scene expert, is seconded to Anna's team as part of her research and immediately the competence of the original investigation team is questioned...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,634,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible