The Crimson Campaign by Brian McClellan
277940,824 (4)12

This was a stellar followup to the amazing Promise of Blood. He spends quite of bit of time getting in depth with the main characters but does not stint at all on the action scenes. Can't wait to read the last book of the trilogy.

5 big stars for an a really fun read!!! ( )
  ConalO | Apr 23, 2018 |
I wonder why I every read the second book - maybe I didn't have anything in my TBR pile? ( )
  quondame | Dec 23, 2017 |
This book was really hard to put down. I found myself constantly wanting to read just a little bit more. The first book took some time for me to grow to like the characters but without that adjustment period in the second book it was all just stellar. Throughout the entire story everything is incredibly high stakes but that doesn't mean the story stalls. The situations are constantly moving forward and changing so that it always has your attention. There are some big climaxes that are very exciting but there's also some disappointing conclusions but nothing which brings it down from five stars for me. ( )
  joeslucher | Oct 20, 2017 |
Full Review: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2014/05/25/the-crimson-campaign-by-brian-mcclella...

Once again, I enjoyed the world that Brian McClellan has created for the Powder Mage Trilogy. There’s a wonderfully engaging blend of politics, intrigue, magic and even meddling Gods. And this one comes packed with emotional, tense and emotionally tense moments.

The Crimson Campaign contains three storylines, which may be connected at some point in the larger picture, but in this, they were all rather distinct and could be stories that would hold on their own. As is typically the case when I read stories like this, I developed preferences among them, Taniel’s storyline taking seat as my favorite.

Ahh, yes. Taniel Two-Shot. Everyone’s favorite gunpowder snorting addict is back, fighting on the frontline. Ka-Poel is once again there with him. She is still one of my favorite characters even though she is not a predominant one. Maybe the fact that she can’t speak adds to her allure and mystery. We see the relationship between her Taniel grow and Taniel’s protectiveness of her just makes me like him even more. To be honest, I am still holding out hope that we will eventually have a more Ka-Poel centric plot line.

As for the other two storylines, Tamas and his powder mages are isolated from the rest of the characters, trapped and trying to escape Kez. The rest of the army has written him and his crew off as dead. It was interesting seeing Tamas in a more vulnerable position. In the final storyline, Adamat is still trying to find and save his family from Lord Vetas. I have to confess of all the storylines, this is the one I felt least attached to. Not sure why, there are definitely some major things going on here, I just never really felt as connected to Adamat as a character as I do Taniel, or even Tamas.

But any minor complaints aside, this is still a enjoyable read with a great blend of politics, scheming, magic and gunpowder. If you enjoyed the first one, definitely keep going because I feel this story is a good addition and I look forward to reading the final installment. ( )
  tenaciousreader | Oct 6, 2015 |
Things get more complicated for the rebels, they have to deal with war and internal problems, including what appears to be internal war with some of the commanders. Inspector Adamat wants to find his wife and children; Tamas is caught behind enemy lines and Taniel has been changed by his attempt at the life of the god Kresimir. They all have different motives and they have to try to survive all of the changes in their world.

It was interesting, I was most interested in Taniel's story. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jun 2, 2015 |
For Michelle, my one and only, my friend, my collaborator, and my love.
Adamat stood perfectly still in the middle of a deep hedgerow outside his own summerhouse and stared through the windows at the men in the dining room.

After his attempted invasion of Kez fails, Tamas must retreat to defend his country from the angry god, Kresimir, while Inspector Adamat tries to rescue his wife from the evil Lord Vetas in this sequel to Promise of Blood.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,745,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible