Buried Leads by LynDee Walker

English (4)  Piratical (1)  All (5)
Buried Leads is an entertaining cozy mystery set in Richmond, Virginia that follows the latest investigative adventure of crime reporter Nichelle Clarke. Nichelle is a crime reporter for the Richmond Telegraph, while following up on a man's body found in the woods, she discovers that he's a lawyer for a lobbying firm with ties to tobacco. Intrigued at the political possibilities, Nichelle starts digging into the story and stumbles upon a corruption case with all kinds of secrets involving tobacco ranchers, mafia, and influential powerful politicians that could put her life in danger. And if that isn't enough, Nichelle is involved in a love triangle with her friend Joey, a Mafia mob boss and her former lover Kyle, who has been promoted as a Special Agent in the local ATF office. Oh and did I mention that Nichelle's coworker nemesis Shelby is trying to take her job? Nichelle has her hands full: can she get to the truth in the murder/corruption case, find love, and save her job and her life?

Author LynDee Walker weaves a fun action packed tale that is full of humor, drama, romance and suspense. I recently have become a fan of cozy murder mysteries set in the South, and Buried Leads is the first story that I have read from this author. I loved the mixture of humor and suspense in this story, I was easily drawn into Nichelle's latest investigative adventure, there was enough twists and turns that kept me guessing what would happen next. I enjoyed that the mystery was the main theme and that the love triangle / romance aspect was secondary and did not distract the reader from the overall whodunit theme of the story.

If you are looking for a delightfully intriguing cozy mystery whodunit with fun characters and a dash of romance in the mix, then Buried Leads is the book for you!

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author / publisher in exchange for my honest review and participation in a virtual book tour event hosted by Chick Lit Plus Blog Tours.

http://jerseygirlbookreviews.blogspot.com/2014/01/buried-leads-by-lyndee-walker-... ( )
  JerseyGirlBookReview | Jan 13, 2014 |
I read this one soon after I finished reading Front Page Fatality and I certainly was not disappointed. This book was very smartly written and had a clever plot with a surprise ending. I love Nicey's character. She is strong willed and stubborn but classy as she winds her way through clues in her fabulous stilettos. The complexity of the her character and the interpersonal relationships with the other characters makes this series a joy to read. The author's experience as a journalist really comes through with this series. I highly recommend it. Can't wait for the adventure. ( )
  MadStitcher | Nov 2, 2013 |
4 stars

I like how Nichelle Clarke is smart, can run in heels but not flats, She works hard. Trying to be the best and first to get a story.
She does not back down from threats. She also cares about people, her dog and friends. Nichelle is a reporter in Virginia. Crime beat.

Nichelle has friends in FBI, ATF, local police and mafia. I really want to go and read the first in the series.Front Page Fatality (A Nichelle Clarke Headlines in Heels Mystery. They reference it a few times or least the events in it. It sounds good. Buried Leads stands alone though. You meet some of the characters in the first book.

Buried Leads is full of humor, characters, drama and action. It is a clean read. I had no clue till it was revealed. So high on suspense of how the story Nichelle is working on turns out. Did not want to put the book down till through.

On one day Nichelle has four different stories but because she was busy she was scooped on one. She competes against Charlie a t.v. reporter who covers the same stuff as her. Their is also a copy editor who wants part of her beat and is sleeping with the boss to try and get it from her.

Nichelle's mafia friend shows up a lot at her friend and she is attracted to him but leery of him too. Then a old boyfriend from Texas with ATF as moved into town. He wants Nichelle to give him another chance. Two guys but their works is on opposite sides.

Nichelle is working on different stories but they are starting to run into each other. She runs into a lot of dead ends before she solves her story. Because she is interested in different people she meets she makes contacts that help her.

The story pacing is good. It does not get bogged down. I like the tone of the book. Their are a lot of secondary characters that add a richness, humor to the story. I want to know if Troy gets his scholarship and makes it to college. What will happen to his mom now?
I liked how happy he was to have met Parker and follow him one day.

How Parker got involved and made a difference in a college athlete. How he teases Nichelle.

I would love to read more from LynDee Walker in the future. especially if it is as good as Buried Leads.

I was given this ebook to read and asked to give honest review of it by NetGalley and Henry Press. ( )
  rhonda1111 | Oct 16, 2013 |
LynDee Walker’s Buried Leads is the second book in the Nichelle Clark series. You don’t need to read Front Page Fatality to enjoy Buried Leads; although, several characters from Front Page do make an appearance. If you’re worried about spoilers, you won’t find any major ones preventing you from enjoying Front Page at a later date. Feel free to dive right in, but I do recommend reading Front Page prior to Buried Leads so you can become familiar with Nichelle and company.

Richmond Telegraph crime reporter, Nichelle Clark is back! At first glance a dead body is just that, but when Nichelle receives a tip that the victim is a tobacco lobbyist and the suspect is the vice president of a tobacco company, she realizes there’s more to the story than meets the eye. Armed with a great pair of designer heels, she sets out to uncover the truth only to receive a death threat. Not one to be deterred, she refuses to heed the advice given by one very sexy Mafia boss and proceeds to continue to research the story. Little does she know she’s about to uncover secrets that will rock Washington politics. Will Nichelle uncover the truth before she’s silenced or will she kiss her job goodbye as her nemesis steals the limelight?

I always have fun reading Walker’s books and Buried Leads was no exception. Character development continues to be strong. In Front Page Fatality we meet sexy mafia boss, Joey and he’s still enigmatic as ever, but does open up to Nichelle. At one point she makes a reference about how many people he’s killed and Joey responds that not all deaths are at his hands. He goes out of his way to warn and protect Nichelle, but our feisty heroine is not one to back down from threats and proves she’s resourceful and can hold her own. I’m not going to lie-I lit up each time Joey made an appearance. How Nichelle manages not to grin like a fool every time she sees him is beyond me. This time Joey has a little competition with Nichelle’s ex-boyfriend, Kyle, moving to Richmond. Kyle is ready to pick up where things left off, but Nichelle puts a halt to things. Upon seeing Joey pay a late visit to Nichelle, Kyle is immediately suspicious and since Kyle works for the ATF, I wonder how long it will take him to do a background check on Joey. The real treat for me was seeing Parker and Bob! I feel as if I’m an honorary employee of the Richmond Telegraph and I loved catching up with Parker especially when he was willing to help Nichelle do a little research. For those that read Front Page Fatality, you might remember Troy Wright and how his brother died; Walker follows up with Troy and I really appreciate being able to touch base with him via Nichelle.

Once again, the writing is engaging and Buried Leads is a fast paced read. Walker expertly combines serious scenes with a touch of humor. For example, Nichelle meets the mother of a tobacco farmer and she’s a smoker who carries an oxygen tank. She has Nichelle wondering if she’s going to blow them up as she tries to question the woman. I really like how Walker showcases a newspaper competing with a television station and how Nichelle not only has to deal with competition from a television reporter, but she has her co-worker Shelby to worry about. I loved that Parker understands what Nichelle is up against especially when he’s assigned to a job with Shelby. The interoffice politics is downplayed a little in Buried Leads, but it’s still a very important aspect to story and series. I do love watching Nichelle grow as well as Parker and can’t wait to see what Walker does with these two in the future.

One reason why I really like Walker’s writing is that she slowly feeds us the information and the reader has to make sense of the clues. At first glance, the different stories Nichelle has to cover don’t seem connected and it’s up to us to decide if they are. I love working out the puzzle with Nichelle and Walker gives us the ability to get our feet wet by playing detective alongside Nichelle. As for the mystery, I thought I had it figured out and I agreed with Nichelle for the most part, but I had a nagging suspicion that it was a bit too tidy. No mystery could be that straight forward and sure enough it wasn’t. Walker delivers a curve ball that would make Parker proud!

LynDee Walker’s Buried Leads is a must read for any mystery fan. I loved Front Page Fatality, but Buried Leads may be my favorite in the series to date. If you’re a fan of mysteries or contemplating trying a new genre, I highly recommend Buried Leads.

This review is posted at Literary, etc. ( )
  winterlillies | Sep 20, 2013 |

When an Armani-clad corpse turns up in the woods, crime reporter Nichelle Clarke smells a scoop. A little digging, and Nichelle uncovers a web of corruption that stretches all the way to Washington, D.C. Politics. Murder. And a dead lobbyist. It's everything Nichelle's ever dreamed of. The cops are playing it close, the feds even closer, and Nichelle's afraid her boss will assign the story to the political desk any day. Richmond's new ATF SuperCop makes an arrest before she can say 'Louboutin,' but Nichelle's gut says he's got the wrong guy. Her sexy Mafia boss friend warns her off the case, her TV rival is hot on her designer heels, an ambitious copy editor wants her beat, and victims are piling up faster than she can track them down. As Nichelle zeroes in on the truth, it'll take some fancy footwork to nab this headline before the killer nabs her.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,625,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible