Dead People by Ewart Hutton

Dead People

by Ewart Hutton

202515,329 (3)None

A complex plot well crafted with the main character, Capaldi reminding me of Hinterland on the BBC. ( )
  edwardsgt | May 25, 2014 |
In this series, our first-person protagonist is DS Glyn Capaldi, who has been assigned to the beat in Middle of Nowhere, Wales. Occupying his time with investigating sheep assault and petty vandalism, he finds a more "interesting" diversion in the form of a skeleton that has been dug up during the construction of a wind farm. Of course it is missing any useful identifying information (the head and hands), and to make matters worse it's not the only skeleton. Can Capaldi get to the bottom of the matter?

This is the second book in the series, and I must confess I read it primarily because the detective's last name is Capaldi. (Actor Peter Capaldi is the latest incarnation of the Doctor on Doctor Who.) Also, I don't read many mysteries set in Wales so I was interested in the setting. And on those two levels I guess the book met my expectations. It took a while for me to get into, but the first-person narration was pleasant and I was able to keep up despite not having read the first book in the series.

Overall I would say this is more of an at-home book than a bus book -- it requires a bit of time to get stuck into. I would probably read more in the series if I thought of it. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Jan 5, 2014 |

"Detective Sergeant Glyn Capaldi, in disgrace and exiled from Cardiff to the deep heart of rural Wales, is called to the discovery of a human skeleton at a remote site in the hills during excavation work for a new wind farm. The body is missing its head and hands, making it unidentifiable. When other bodies are uncovered, Capaldi's superiors assume that it is either the work of a hit squad or a serial killer, and that the site is just a dumping ground. Capaldi is not convinced. To him, the remoteness of the location points to some local knowledge. However, an apparent suicide in the valley, along with incriminating evidence, appears to back-up his superiors' theory. Believing that they have found the killer, they move the investigation to the city to try and discover the identity of the victims. Capaldi is left in place to tidy up the loose ends. He sets about trying to discover a motive among the varied characters that inhabit the area. To achieve this he also has to try and unravel the mystery of who these dead people were, and why they were buried in this particular location all those years ago. Ewart Hutton's new novel provides a thrilling story and a most welcome revisit of this fascinating character and atmospheric setting"--… (more)

Minotaur Books

An edition of this book was published by Minotaur Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,458,704 books! | Top bar: Always visible