The Spirit of A Witch by Sarah Jane Avory

The Spirit of A Witch

by Sarah Jane Avory

831,035,133 (3.67)None

I found this book lots of fun. The protagonist reminded me a bit of detective Monk. Briley is a different kind of hero, refreshing and fun due to being most of the time humanly uncertain, almost until the last minute, when her ingenuity saves the day. I also loved Smokey because he really sounded like a cat. I recommend this book to anyone who likes fantasy stories with witches. And to anyone who understands how great is to befriend a cat. ( )
  Leticia.Toraci | Feb 10, 2016 |
Overall, a well crafted story and a different take on the 'girl finds out she's a witch' tale.

My only gripe, and this is purely personal, is that I found the main character a bit hard to like. Sure, being flung into another world is a bit of a downer, but she is so self-loathing at times that I really wanted to give her a good slap.

However, don't see this as a reason not to read this story. Briley's character may resonate more sympathetically with you than with me and for a first novel, Sarah Jane Avory has done well.

If you're a fan of fantasy or witches you should give it a read. ( )
  K.Llewellin | Sep 8, 2013 |
Since devoting more of my reading time I've found myself reading books in genres I wouldn't normally have considered, it's easier to take a gamble when you're only risking a couple of quid! The Spirit of a Witch is another one of those occasions and I'm glad I did because it is a fun read from a new author.

The story is about a young woman being ground down in the crunch of games development (something I can sympathise with :-) ) who finds herself transported to another world. For the first chapter I was a bit unsure, but the story got going quite quickly after that.

The biggest downer for me was the main charcter, she is a bit of a moaner. In fairness she has a fair bit to moan about. Thankfully her cat comes to the rescue and this was the biggest surprise. I'm not a cat person, but Smokey is an excellent balance to Briley's insecurities.

The writing itself is well crafted and very well polished for a new author. My only slight complaint was the moments of peril didn't quite ring as strongly as they should. That is a minor complaint as the story itself is well paced and leaves a nice opening for the next in the series.

If you like witches, or even just fantasy tales then you should give this a read. ( )
  MichaelBrookes | Jul 18, 2013 |

Sarah Jane Avory is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,645,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible