The Centrist Manifesto by Charles Wheelan

The Centrist Manifesto

by Charles Wheelan

111820,536 (5)1

I don't agree with every position in this Manifesto, and I doubt the "control the Senate" plan could work unless it reduced the Republican bloc to less than 40 senators. That said, I think it's generally a solid idea that's better than what we have now. I only wish My home state wasn't so overwhelmingly Republican Red, so a party this sensible could gain a foothold here.

The Centrists are kind of the pragmatic version of the Libertarian Party, in that they endorse several positions held by both parties. Both realize that the third party audience is socially liberal and fiscally conservative (or, as I prefer, fiscally responsible), so many of their positions look alike in appealing to that orphaned group. Where they differ is that the Centrists emerge from a common middle, where the Libertarians are extremists who think neither party's radical enough. The biggest obvious difference is over the social safety net; the Libertarians want to discard it, and the Centrists want to fix it.

A few years ago, I labeled myself a Libertarian. Now I'm realizing that I was basically a Centrist all along.

As I said at the start, I don't agree with everything here. I think the income inequality problem needs more attention than the Centrist platform gives it, for instance. However, I generally like these ideas and want to subscribe to their newsletter. ( )
  RevBobMIB | Oct 21, 2015 |

A vision—and detailed road map to power—for a new party that will champion America’s rational center.

From debt ceiling standoffs to single-digit Congress approval ratings, America’s political system has never been more polarized—or paralyzed—than it is today. As best-selling author and public policy expert Charles Wheelan writes, now is the time for a pragmatic Centrist party that will identify and embrace the best Democratic and Republican ideals, moving us forward on the most urgent issues for our nation.

Wheelan—who not only lectures on public policy but practices it as well (he ran unsuccessfully for Congress in 2009)—brings even more than his usual wit and clarity of vision to The Centrist Manifesto. He outlines a realistic ground game that could net at least five Centrist senators from New England, the Midwest, and elsewhere. With the power to deny a red or blue Senate majority, committed Centrists could take the first step toward giving voice and power to America’s largest, and most rational, voting bloc: the center.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:32 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,121,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible