Yoga XXL: A Journey to Health For Larger…

Yoga XXL: A Journey to Health For Larger Bodies

by Ingrid Kollak

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really love this book, though I don't have time to use it often. It's nice to have a reference for practice with illustrations that look more like me, with modifications that actually work. ( )
  norselordspanishlady | Dec 26, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a much needed book for larger people who want to practice yoga. The photo were very clear and the explanations easy to read. I enjoyed reading the book. ( )
  amy1705 | Aug 24, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It is harder to start doing yoga when you are an “XXL” size, so it is great that someone wrote a book specifically to address this problem. The photographs are excellent, as are the explanations. This book makes taking up yoga actually look like a reasonable possibility if you are a large person, unlike the average yoga book. The alternative pose positions give reasonable options for a variety of body types and abilities. I would recommend this book for anyone with size or other mobility issues. If you have been scared off of trying yoga by looking at pictures of yoga experts excelling at poses, you should take a look at this book. ( )
1 vote ktoonen | Jun 6, 2015 |
I am a large person with Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, a herniated disk, and knee problems. My brother had told me of a friend who had good results with yin yoga. I searched for a long time for a book of yin yoga but all the photos were impossible for me to even attempt! YOGA XXL was the answer to my search. The author has lots of clear photos, notes indicating any counter indications for a pose, and lots of good ideas to make the exercise work. I'm really happy with this book. ( )
1 vote KathyJarvis | Jun 27, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Although I have not finished working through all the exercise in this book, I have been working through the easier ones. They are creative and effective adaptions of yoga positions - who would have thought you could do the Tree posture while lying on your back! And yet the stretch is still wonderful, helping develop the flexibility and concentration I associate with standard yoga asanas.

Besides being for those with excess weight issues, I think many of these positions would work for other people with mobility issues such as the elderly.

I am loving this book - and my body and back do, too.

My only criticism is that all the models demonstrating poses are female - the intro states that the book is for men as well as women, but we need a few males in the mix to make that a believable statement. ( )
  streamsong | Jun 22, 2014 |

Provides a guide to yoga for people of any size, including information about equipment, postures, and daily routines.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ingrid Kollak's book Yoga XXL was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,019,584 books! | Top bar: Always visible