Transposition and other Addresses by C. S.…

Transposition and other Addresses (1949)

by C. S. Lewis

Recently added byaarrott, CVPres, private library, BSOTALibrary, TrishIrv, Visick, ReadandFindOut, hogank, TiffC1999, mbrevet

This is a very mixed bag of essays/addresses on theology and ethics given in different places.

“Weight of Glory” - a brilliant exploration of glory, heaven and our deepest desires, “Learning in War-Time” displaying shrewd wisdom and personal reflections on war, “Why I am not a Pacifist” is full of insightful arguments on a difficult ethical dilemma. “Transposition” and “Is Theology Poetry” was wordy essays that I only half-grasped. “Membership” - interesting thoughts on the Church, about individuality and the fellowship of believers.

I do like being immersed in Lewis’ thoughts - also when I don’t understand him for one and a half page there’s suddenly a light at the end of the tunnel and you go “oh, yes” that’s why he started the argument in a totally unexpected place. Or maybe I just give up understanding some of his arguments.

These addresses were given mostly in university chapels - one in the “Socratic Club” at Oxford University :) ( )
2 vote ctpress | Jul 2, 2016 |
Lesser-known essays from my favourite Christian writer of the mid-20th century. Originally given as talks to students, in these diverse chapters Lewis covers topics such as transposition, pacifism, theology as poetry - or not - and forgiveness, which (as he says) is sometimes confused with excusing.

Written in his clear, logical style, Lewis makes his points with his unique blend of diplomacy and forcefulness. I don't agree with all his conclusions, possibly because I don't agree with all his premises. Some of what he says seems dated, yet the majority feels fresh and is entirely relevant to the 21st century Christian. Recommended. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
CONTENTS: THE WEIGHT OF FLORY; LEARNING; WAR-TIME - WHY I AM NOT A PACIFIST; TRANSPOSITION;' IS THEOLOGY POETRY?; THE INNTER RING; MEMBERSHIP; ON FORGIVENESS; A SLIP OF THE TONGUE
  saintmarysaccden | Feb 25, 2013 |
Simply a fantastic collection of essays and addresses from a brilliant writer. Even the seemingly dated addresses contain much wisdom. ( )
  bookerTB | Oct 20, 2010 |
Transposition: In the church to which I belong this day is set apart for commemorating the descent of the Holy Ghost upon the first Christians shortly after the Ascension.
The Weight of Glory: If you asked twenty good men today what they thought the highest of the virtues, nineteen of them would reply, Unselfishness.
Membership: No Christian and, indeed, no historian could accept the epigram which defines religion as "what a man does with his solitude".
Learning in War-Time: A university is a society for the pursuit of learning.
The Inner Ring: May I read you a few lines from Tolstoi's War and Peace?
Do not combine with 9-essay editions of "The Weight of Glory". This work contains five essays: "Transposition", "The Weight of Glory", "Membership", "Learning in War-Time" and "The Inner Ring".

Selected from sermons delivered by C.S. Lewis during World War II, these nine addresses show the beloved author and theologian bringing hope and courage in a time of great doubt. "The Weight of Glory", considered by many to be Lewis's finest sermon of all, is an incomparable explication of virtue, goodness, desire, and glory. Also included are "Transposition," "On Forgiveness," "Why I Am Not a Pacifist," and "Learning in War-Time," in which Lewis presents his compassionate vision of Christianity in language that is both lucid and compelling.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:01 -0400)

Publisher's description: Selected from sermons delivered by C. S. Lewis during World War II, these nine addresses offer guidance and inspiration in a time of great doubt. These are ardent and lucid sermons that provide a compassionate vision of Christianity.… (more)

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,980,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible