Water by Natasha Hardy
621,268,033 (2.33)None

Note: this review is based on the first 30% of the book. I DNF the rest. Due to the fact that it's an e-arc I thought I should explain a bit why I did not finish.

The part with Merrick. When this male character is introduced is immediately when I started to not feel the story, the dynamic changed. the interaction between the MC and Merrick was simply not natural or organic. it Just didnt feel real.

Also, I became way too confused with what universe the book is in. What reality? There are References to states and familiar things, but also very unfamiliar things (apartheid in America, slave traders in remote mountain areas, etc). Is this the future? No other indication of the time period except cell phones and television. So it feels like modern day-- but then doesn't. I think Water is having a big identity crisis.

Perhaps because I'm in a bit of a depressed mood. I need a book to completely take me away with the story. I need that brain vacation. Trouble is, if there are confusing parts about something as basic as the setting or the world-- we have problems.

Sorry, Water...you started off so promising. I just couldn't get past your lack of world-building and clarity, and ultimately believability between the characters.
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
It took me a LONG time to know what to rate this book. I kept thinking this wasn't so good so maybe I should drop the rating...or, that was fantastic, I should definitely raise it...So, as you can see, I settled on 3.5/5 and I'm fairly confident in that.

First off, mermaids are probably my favourite paranormal creature to read about. So my expectations were pretty high. But were they met? Almost, so close too. The story was pretty good, it introduced some new ideas but not anything particularly outstanding. But I was very happy with the way Natasha Hardy described them, she did it to my ideal image of a mermaid which I really liked.

I really liked the characters, especially the main character Alex. I thought she made a great leader and the way she acts and responds to things in the story was understandable and I just liked her as a character. Hardy's descriptions were fantastic, which kept my interest in the story and made it easy to visualise. Whenever a description came up about how the characters were dressed, I knew what they looked like and had a bit of fun imagining it. This was also great interns of characters because Alex and Merrick (especially) were easy to visualise.

The other thing that stood out to me was the setting. I don't think I have ever read a book before that was set in Africa, so I thought that was pretty cool. The made pools stuck with me through out the story because I just think that they are just so cool. Once again, this is helped into being possible by the amazing descriptive writing.

However, one of the problems I had with the story included the pacing. I like books I read to be paced a lot faster because I find the my interest seems to gradually slip away. The other thing that bugged me was that I thought some aspects were too unrealistic and predictable. Like, for instance, when Alex first tries to give an inspiring talk, nobody likes it. But when she says it a little differently, suddenly everybody loves it. Even those who were completely against it.

Here is a quote I liked:

"There is strength in unity" - Llyr (96%)

So as mentioned before, my final rating is 3.5/5 stars. I will be continuing with the series and would recommend it if you like mermaid stories. ( )
  Livvvy75 | Aug 6, 2013 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,016,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible