Starter House: A Novel (P.S.) by Sonja…

Starter House: A Novel (P.S.)

by Sonja Condit

The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons (arielfl)
    arielfl: Both are books about houses with supernatural influence on it's occupants.
    The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (kraaivrouw)
    The Bird Eater by Ania Ahlborn (kraaivrouw)

From Amazon:

From the moment Lacey sees the house with the beautiful wood staircase, she knows she’s found her dream home. Growing up rootless with her flighty mother, Ella Dane, a self-proclaimed psychic, Lacey is determined to give her unborn baby the stability she never had. But shortly after she and her husband, Eric, move in, the warm and welcoming house becomes cold and dark. There is something malevolent within these walls that wants to hurt her unborn child—a terrifying presence that only she can sense. And there is Drew, a demanding and temperamental little boy who mysteriously appears when Lacey is alone. To protect her unborn child and save her family, Lacy must discover the truth about her dream house and the troubled Drew—a decades-old mystery involving secrets, violence, and guilt—and confront an evil that has lingered in wait for years.

My Thoughts:

Starter House is Sonja Condit's debut novel, and it's a page turner. I have had so many 5 star books the past few months so I must be living right. Sonja Condit has written a story that is haunting, eerie, and intriguing, complete with engaging characters, although some are not very likable. This is a must read for anyone who enjoys ghosts, haunting, and malevolence. Some have compared it to Joe Hill's heart Shaped Box and I totally agree. I look forward to her next novel. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
The horror elements in this novel were excellent. The dark, black masses, poltergeist activity, strange dreams, and possession all played a role in the story. It all came together to paint a horrific picture of terror, despair, and murder. The author uses the ghost elements tied in with other dark aspects of her story like murder/suicide, miscarriage, and tension in her character’s relationships to create a truly gripping horror scenario.

The story, for the most part, was engaging. I found myself reading chapter after chapter, intrigued to find out where the story would eventually end up. But I gotta say that some of the elements were predictable. I saw the roll Lex, Thea, and Harry would play pretty early on. And at times the narrative dragged in quite a bit of characterization scenarios and description. Scenes establishing our character’s backgrounds and personalities were drawn out and seemed almost to serve as filler.

The characters were a mixed bag. I think my favorite was Ella Dane. She was your fluffy hippie mom, but I saw some steel in there, especially in one scene where she’s facing a Drew-possessed Lacey. This woman made some tough decisions to protect her child, and I respected her for them. Everyone else, though? Meh… Either I could forget them or ended up irritated by them. Lacey was a weak idiot, Eric was an asshole, and Harry was a manipulative shit. Even the huge, descriptive characterization scenes couldn't save this lot…

In the end, I have mixed feelings for this novel. I finished it, so it kept me engaged enough. I liked the horror elements and some of the unique supernatural twists. But the characters, predictable story, and unevenly paced narrative leave me a bit cold. I’d look elsewhere if you’re looking for a good horror story or a good story period, really. ( )
  Sarah_Gruwell | Jan 13, 2016 |
I'll give a little bit of credit: the whole teacher/child thing, underused and half-baked as it comes off here, was a refreshing idea for a twist on a haunting. For that reason alone, I give it more than a bottom mark. But if you're going to allow your book to be blurbed as "for fans of Heart-Shaped Box", you better bring the juju - and Condit doesn't even come close. I'm not even sure she brought the final draft. It's just an unpleasant mess full of stupid people - nobody should have to shout at the book they're reading as often as I did.

More at RB: ( )
  drewsof | Sep 30, 2015 |

More at RB: ( )
  drewsof | Sep 30, 2015 |
Dragged a little in places but very good on whole. Haunting/possession had good plot twists and while not quite scary, was freaky. Backdrop of the central character's family, why they moved around so much and grandpa made this a rounded read. ( )
  libgirl69 | Jun 28, 2015 |

A pregnant woman who moves into her dream home discovers she must solve the mystery of a decades-old murder to rid herself of a ghostly little boy and save her unborn child.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sonja Condit's book Starter House was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,921,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible