Soul Hostage by Jeffrey Littorno

Soul Hostage

by Jeffrey Littorno

511,436,638 (4.5)None

It started with a robbery of a grocery store. Joey and Thomas managed to score $196 and kill three people. As they were collecting the money they heard an old man laughing. The man’s name was Louis and he tells the two robbers they can score some real money if they choose to help him get even with his ex-wife and former business partner who framed him and had him sent to jail.

Thomas and Joey decide to help Louis for the promise that they will have enough money to live comfortably for the rest of their lives. As the three drive to where the money is, Louis tells them his story of betrayal and he has a few surprises for Joey and Thomas as well. The two will have to choose if they are willing to do the unthinkable and how far they will go before they give up their souls.

Soul Hostage by Jeffery Littorno is a thriller that looks at morality, choosing between good and evil and what someone is willing to do to get what they want. Thomas and Joey have been together for a long time and they are complete opposites. Joey doesn’t have a conscience and does what he feels while Thomas has a moral code and has trouble deciding the best plan of action.

What really made this book good was the relationship between these two characters. At one point Thomas says that he is jealous of Joey because he has no conscience and shows a lot of enthusiasm for everything he does. Thomas even seems to look up to Joey when he kills people because Joey feels no guilt. The story in Soul Hostage is mainly about Thomas deciding if he will give up his beliefs to fit in with his friend or will he choose a different route and not be a part of the evil plan Louis wants them to follow.

Soul Hostage is a philosophical journey with a lot of twists and turns. I liked when Louis talks about bible stories to illustrate his point on why Joey and Thomas should do as he says. In particular he uses the story of the prodigal son to show that even when your evil, god will forgive you. I also liked how Thomas makes the decision on what he is going to do and what is said that makes him decide. I think most people would choose to do what Thomas did even though I was hoping he wouldn’t go that route.

All in all I enjoyed this book but I did think it was slow-moving in spots. I also wondered what happened to Louis between prison and when he meets Thomas and Joey in the grocery store. In addition to that there was a point towards the end where a character is happy to see Louis which had me rolling my eyes.

I did like how this book gets into philosophy and the characters were all great. Another thing that stuck out was that there were so few characters in the story. The dialogue in the story was what really made the book interesting and more characters would have ruined it. Also the ending was unpredictable and this is what made Soul Hostage a great read. ( )
  dwatson2 | Nov 14, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,338,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible