Devin's Second Chance (Morning Lake) by…

Devin's Second Chance (Morning Lake)

by Lorraine Paton

English (7)  French (1)  All (8)
What an enjoyable and well-written novel! The characters were intriguing and there was a good balance of humour, tension, and sadness. I look forward to reading more from this author! ( )
  madamediotte | Jul 2, 2014 |
This is a real romance, for true romantics and those who love them. Both Devin and Claire are just beginning new lives. Devin’s late wife died of breast cancer, and he is not over her death. Claire has left a successful engineer career to pursue her passion as a photographer. Initially, they have a not so great encounter, as Devin finds a photograph of his late wife on a poster in the window of a local gallery. Claire had taken the picture of Devin’s wife not long after his wife’s diagnosis. Claire has her own problems. Her grandmother left her a huge house that she loves but cannot afford, and is dealing with the son of her boarders, who has been left behind by his parents and who is just looking for trouble. How these two overcome these and other obstacles is a fascinating and wonderful story. The author has done a wonderful job bringing out the characters with their strengths and weaknesses, the attraction and magnetism between them, the people around them who both help and hinder their growing attraction. As I said, this is a story for a true romantic, for one who revels in a good, old-fashioned romance, and who loves to see how love can grow. However, I also think anyone who just enjoys a good story, without all the violence, killing and such so many modern novels have today will find this story enjoyable. I received this from Library Thing to read and review. ( )
  KMT01 | Oct 5, 2013 |
This author exceeded my expectations by embedding copious amount of sentiment into this great contemporary romance. She took it to the next level by creating a LOVE story full of realistic life events (i.e. love, heartbreak, betrayal, illness, and even death). This read pulled me into the lives of folks of Morning Lake and made me a part of their community. I am not sure what Ms. Paton has planned for these small-town folks but I’ll be there supporting her.

Disclosure: This ebook was provided to me free of charge for the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments, and ratings are my own. ( )
  BBMoreB | Sep 5, 2013 |
Having won Devin’s Second Chance as a giveaway E-book, I was quickly drawn into this romance novel about a handsome, brawny cowboy, Devin, whose wife had passed away from cancer. Devin becomes attracted to a lovely, petite young woman, Claire, who works for a local art gallery sponsoring a gala fundraising event. The story evolves around the development of their relationship and the misguided turns that they both take toward finding happiness with each other. Although for most of the novel, I was quite pleasantly entertained, I must admit that toward the end of the story, I became just a little disgusted with their continued lack of communication and absence of trust in each other.
Not having read many romance novels, I thought that this story was an enjoyable, quick read, but the vocabulary at times was slightly simplistic. However, as a diversion from the stresses and doldrums of one’s life, this book provides a desirable escape into the lives of two very likable characters in a small town. ( )
  haymaai | Sep 2, 2013 |
This novel is about a man who wakes up every morning, doing the work that needs to be done, but not really living his life. This man is Devin Trent, former rodeo star, now running his ranch with the weight of guilt and loss on his shoulders. His wife Olivia passed away three years ago from breast cancer. She was a stained glass artist, and her work remains in her studio in his home. He has not entered her studio nor looked at her work since the day she died.

Claire Best is living in Morning Lake working at a gallery, and is a photographer. She moved here to take care of her grandmother, who has since passed away. She left Claire her sprawling old house, which Claire loves, but can't afford to keep up. She now lives in rooms built above the garage, and rents the house to summer boarders.
Claire and Devin's first meeting is not a pleasant one. He escorts Shirley, Olivia's mother, to the gallery to discuss showing some of Olivia's work, which he has no intention of allowing to happen. It doesn't matter that the showing is to benefit Cancer Research. Devin is immediately confronted by a stunning portrait of Olivia in the window of the gallery. He is livid. Claire had taken the photo of Olivia on a visit to her studio not long after Olivia's diagnosis . Devin wants it removed, now.

The attraction is immediate, but Claire and Devin have secrets they do not want to share.
Claire is also dealing with the teenage son of her boarders, left alone, and looking for trouble. Devin witnesses some of this boy's destruction, and steps in. It's not so much about Olivia's work anymore, it's about Devin and Claire's emotions, and their reluctance to let go of their fears and insecurities.

I enjoyed this novel, finished it in one sitting. I recommend this novel for readers looking for wonderful characters, cowboys, a sweet love story, and people who believe in second chances.

I received this novel from the author and LibraryThing for an honest review.

She scolded herself for wanting to be picked
up in his muscular arms. Saved by this tall, brooding man, a cowboy
even. A strong, capable cowboy.
Claire groaned again.
“There, there, Ms. Best,” Devin’s mother

Damn it, why did he have to be the
epitome of what she found attractive in a man?
She really needed fresh air. Her surging
allergies were making ( )
  Pat.Egan.Fordyce | Aug 26, 2013 |

Lorraine Paton is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,924,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible