Summer Is for Lovers by Jennifer McQuiston

Summer Is for Lovers

by Jennifer McQuiston

This is the second novel by Ms. McQuiston in her Second Sons series [for my review of the 1st book ‘What Happens in Scotland’, go here], and in this story we have a wonderful Prologue in which our hero meets a very young girl that saves his life. I thought it was such a poignant meeting and couldn’t wait for them to meet again some eleven years later and I wasn’t disappointed with their second meeting either as it was as much poignant as their first.

As a matter a fact, the care and pace the author took to develop their budding relationship was what I loved and appreciated the most in this story. It was important to me because Caroline is only twelve when they meet, while he’s already in his twenties and even though she is twenty-two as they reacquaint themselves with each other, both are aware of the strong currents and a thread that is pulling them to each other, yet the slower pace of their romance gives their story strength and lends more believability to it.

I also loved the setting of this story, which was Brighton. The author did such a great job of taking me through this wonderful place in all its Victorian glory.

This is definitely character driven story in which our hero David is a very complex man with inner demons that are overwhelming him and the only person that is capable of exorcising them is another complex and strong-willed woman such as Caroline.

If you’re in a mood for a solid, sweet and at times complex romance, this one’s for you. I highly recommend it.

Melanie for b2b

Complimentary copy provided by the publisher
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
Magnificent! This was a sweet book filled with longing and sweet, sweet love. This book started off strange and with a bang. A drowning man, a young girl against the odds, saves him from drowning. Or was that suicide? Yet he struggled for life and life handed him the one person who could save him. He left for ten years, still harboring the hurt and guilt that nearly had him kill himself. When they reunite she finds herself falling for him all over again and instead of a young girls crush, it could just be love. He finds himself thinking of her differently than he does other women, and over time his thoughts become overwhelmingly jealous of all the men in her life, men who he brought to her attention by telling them all about her virtues. He thinks he is not the right man for her due to what happened in his past, and she believes that everyone deserves a second chance. Although at first he may not see that, he comes to realize she might be right. She is a wonderful swimmer, and he is her pupil, but she is his pupil in all things carnal. Together these two teach each other, and fall for each other. It is quite the love story. Her sister is hiding secrets as well, I hope we get to learn more about her in the future. And her mother! A serious and beautiful twist! I also hope that David's mother heals, this book did not clear that up. Over all, I seriously enjoyed this book! ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
A really fun book. It starts, oddly enough, with a botched suicide attempt, as twenty-one year old David Cameron is distraught by the loss of the young woman he loved, a death he blames on himself. He tries to kill himself by drowning, only to realize that he doesn't really want to die. Unfortunately, he may succeed because he's also quite drunk and fighting a strong current. Twelve year old Caroline comes to his rescue, a young girl who is a phenomenal swimmer thanks to her late father. She gets him to shore, where he thanks her, admits his idiocy, and encourages her to be true to herself.

Twelve years later they meet again on that same stretch of beach, neither having forgotten the other. As a matter of fact, David has played a large part in Caroline's dreams over the years. She is still taken by the man he has become. In spite of the changes, David has no trouble recognizing Caroline. He has never forgotten being saved by her.

Caroline suffers socially, thanks to her unfashionable height and shortage of social graces. She has also become the butt of jokes thanks to a summer visitor to Brighton. She had trusted the young man, and he betrayed that trust. Caroline has taken it upon herself to try to save her family, and to do so she needs to marry a man with money. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like she'll be able to find one because of what he said. At a dinner party that night, Caroline encounters David again, where he tries to rescue her and her sister this time. Then a late night encounter where he finds her swimming alone, brings her to his attention in other ways.

David is impressed by her skill and the passionate woman he senses behind the proper one he encountered during the day. He finds himself drawn to her, even though she's nothing like the women who usually appeal to him. He also knows that he's not the man for her. He's sworn he'll never marry because of what had happened all those years ago. In order for him to feel like he's repaid the debt to her, he takes it upon himself to try to repair her reputation among the people of Brighton. But doing so brings her to the attention of those who had treated her so badly.

I loved the interactions between Caroline and David. She sees the pain he still carries after all these years and wants to help him move past it. If he can, maybe she can show him that he's worth having. David seems to be the only person who can see the person that she really is. He tries to show her that only someone who can see and respect who she really is would be worthy of marriage. His biggest problem in making her attractive to others is that he becomes interested in her himself. His battle with himself frustrates Caroline, as it causes him to send out mixed messages to her. I liked his mother and the care he showered on her. I also liked the way she tried to show him that his guilt was misplaced and that it was okay to move on.

An upcoming swimming competition has Caroline teaching David to swim the way she does. She would love to enter the competition herself, but women of this time period don't swim. Meanwhile, thanks to David's efforts, she has become wildly popular. None of the men can measure up to David, but he's adamant that he isn't the man for her. The lead up to the swimming competition itself has Caroline trying to do what she thinks is best for her family rather than herself, only to find out that her mother and sister are also trying to keep the same promise to care for the family. I loved the competition itself, especially Caroline's part in it, and the effect on the people around her. The conclusion of the race itself was intense, as was its aftermath.

The secondary characters were all well done and each had a purpose within the story. Miss Baxter was my favorite, even though she was rather unlikable at the beginning. She was rather mean-spirited at times, but she redeemed herself very well at the end. Mr. Dermott was no gentleman in his actions through most of the book, though he did get better for awhile before he totally screwed up. I also liked Caroline's sister, Pen. It was pretty obvious what she had been doing during those times she was missing. I liked the way she went after what she wanted. I hope she gets her own story. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Jan 19, 2015 |
When David and Caroline first meet, Caroline saves David's life in the ocean. And from that first meeting when they were young, a spark of interest flared. But then David returned to his life in the military, and Caroline went back to her family trying to support and anchor them with her fathers recent passing. Now its been eleven years later, and Caroline is a young woman trying to find a husband. The finances are running low and she knows her sister won't be able to find a young man soon with her problem stuttering around others. So Caroline knows that it is up to her. Then one evening, while out swimming, her favorite past time, she runs into David again, and that spark of interest flares into heat and desire. David has no interest in marriage, but his mother is practically forcing him into it. He knows that he will need to find a young woman with a decent dowry. As the second son, he knows that he will need to be able to provide. He comes to Brighton for his mothers sake. But when he runs into Caroline again, he knows he is in deep trouble. Caroline is temptation and seduction and beauty all rolled into one. Even though David and Caroline have come to a agreement to just be friends, there is a flaring desire that can't be denied, and soon they will have to decide what is really important and if the connection they have is worth fighting for.

Summer Is For Lovers really shocked me in how much I enjoyed it. I went into the story thinking, well I hope it will be a comfortable and easy read, and I was completely blown away by this wonderful depicted story that warmed me inside out. The first book I read from this author was What Happens In Scotland, which was a very enjoyable story, but there was some things I didn't like in the story. Now this book however, I had no issues with at all. I pretty much loved every aspect of this book and that is a rare occurrence. I read it in a couple of hours, and "sigh", this was charming and delectable through and through.

The story sets off with these two meeting with Caroline saving David's life. Don't you just love a strong willed heroine from the beginning? The way the author begins the story, it comes off as very believable and you are completely drawn into the story from the beginning. Then they meet again and boy you might need a fan to cool down the flames. These two definitely know how to heat a room, but its not over kill, especially for the setting and the kind of plot you see here. It definitely felt well balanced and had a consistency to it that I have admired from this author so far. There is a little conflict here, with Caroline wanting to be with David and David resisting his growing feelings for her. I enjoyed the aspect of Caroline being a obsessive swimmer here, it added a certain feel to the story that felt open and fresh. It was very invigorating at times reading through this book, and I almost felt as if I could feel the breeze on my skin and the water soaking me all the way through. The vivid pictures portrayed was a delight and I couldn't get enough of it.

Summer is For Lovers is a beautifully written tale that is perfect on a breezy afternoon. This author writes a charming romance to send tingles down your spine and sizzle the cold away. FABULOUS!!! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 7, 2014 |

McQuiston, Jenniferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weston, Lana J.Readermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
HarperAudioPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schilasky, SabineÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062231316, Mass Market Paperback)

His heart is unavailable. Luckily, her interest lies in the rest of him . . .

That is, if David will agree to teach her.

Past mistakes have convinced David he'll make a terrible husband, though he'll gladly help the unconventional Caroline find a suitor. Unfortunately, she has something more scandalous in mind. As the contenders for her hand begin to line up, her future seems assured . . . provided David can do the honorable thing and let them have her.

When a spirited young woman is determined to break Society's rules, all a gentleman can do is lend a hand . . . or more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:07 -0400)

His heart is unavailable. Luckily, her interest lies in the rest of him. Though she was just a girl when they first met, Caroline Tolbertson's infatuation with David Cameron remains undimmed. Now fate has brought the handsome Scotsman back to Brighton for what promises to be an unforgettable summer. Soon, Caroline will have to choose a husband, but for now she is free to indulge her curiosity in things of a passionate nature.That is, if David will agree to teach her.Past mistakes have convinced David he'll make a terrible husband, though he'll gladly help the unconventional Caroline find a suitor. Unfortunately, she has something more scandalous in mind. As the contenders for her hand begin to line up, her future seems assured provided David can do the honorable thing and let them have her.When a spirited young woman is determined to break Society's rules, all a gentleman can do is lend a hand or more.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,014,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible