Life After Dane by Edward Lorn

Life After Dane

by Edward Lorn

I suppose the real problem I had with this story is that I read it immediately after the amazing "The Heart's Invisible Furies" by John Boyne which was a literary tour de force. To step down from that high and to read what is no more than an average tale is a bit of a disappointment. Serial Killer Dane Peters known as the Rest Stop Dentist has just been executed and his mother Ella May, who deeply loved her son, is trying to understand why his ghost will not leave her in peace. She starts on a journey which leads her to discover her own shortcomings, and realizes that she failed miserably in her duties as a mother by allowing her evil husband Phil to brutalize and destroy their son. What starts with great promise becomes nothing more than a road trip journey when Ella, joined by journalist Sven Godel, (and directed by the ghostly presence of the executed Dane) attempts to find Dane's true love Melissa. An unexpected surprise transpires that ultimately offers Ella some serenity in a story that for me failed miserably to deliver. ( )
  runner56 | Jan 18, 2017 |
It's always a pleasure to read something by Mr Lorn, his writing style is right up my street: dark, disturbing and scary with humour thrown in for good measure. What more could you ask for? As a huge fan I jumped into this one without any knowledge of what I was in for, not a good move on my part. I am absolutely terrified of the dentist and anything to do with pain of any sort to do with teeth, so this one got more than a few cringes from me!

Life After Dane was a roller-coaster of a read, both emotionally and psychologically. Lorn weaves a tale that exposes the reader not only to the supernatural but also to the all too real human side of horror, which is truly horrifying to read. The author does an excellent job of playing with the readers emotions, pulling them back and forth in a way that not only keeps them on the edge of their seat but also in a constant state of conflict in regards to who to root for. My feelings and emotions were all over the place, jumping back and forth between feeling sorry for characters one minute to detesting them the next. Some of the scenes were heartbreaking to read, especially as a parent, knowing that for some it's an everyday reality, one they have no control over.

I'm just going to totally skip over the parts involving teeth. *Shudder*

One you won't want to miss. I read it in one sitting. Who needs sleep right?

Highly recommended! ( )
  Scarlet-Aingeal | Dec 9, 2016 |
Edit #1: I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

What a terribly gruesome, horrifying ride into the broken psyche of a young man who grew up into a serial killer, as well as the mind of his mother who sat back and watched it happen.

Character development in this book is simply outstanding. Ed Lorn is an outstanding writer, and his abilities really shine in this book. Ella, mother of the serial killer known as the “Rest Stop Dentist”, is the profoundly flawed narrator with a deeply religious worldview that came across as very realistic. Throughout the narrative, there were many times I thought the story was turning in different directions, maybe with her mind snapping and picking up where her son left off as a killer. The book really provided an outstanding character study of someone having to deal with the aftermath of a mass murderer, from the unusual perspective of being the killer’s mother. She was very well written and came across as so well-rounded that I remained completely riveted to her tale. Her experiences are terrifying, yet the other people around her don’t necessarily react to what’s happening the same way she does, which made me wonder if it was all happening in her head.

There is a ton of graphic, abusive violence in this story, and while it wasn’t a “horror” book in the true sense of the word, the psychological horror experienced by Dane as a child was primal and heart-wrenching. These were the hardest parts of the book to read.

The mystery of the book hooked me from the very first paragraph, and had me guessing until the very end when everything skillfully fell into place.

No matter how this book is classified, as a chilling mystery, paranormal horror, or psychological abuse, this is a fantastic choice for anyone who wants to read and experience the unpredictable.

Edit #2: I just saw that the Audible version is only $1.99 when you buy the Kindle version at $5.99. I may just go ahead and listen to this one, too! ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 31, 2016 |
4.5 freaking intense stars. Fantastic narration ! Get this on audio folks, you will love it.
Now for a review. How am I supposed to review this Mr. Lorn ? If I talk about any of the parts it will open a window into the delicious wickedness that these pages slowly revealed in a soul screaming process that was always slightly out of reach. The answers that are there, but they aren't. Blurred lines with clattering teeth kidnapped my dreams and turned them to suspense filled nightmares. One word kept escaping my mouth F*ck. How can I review a book when the best word to describe it is a "naughty" word ? Well I can talk about one of the characters.
I hated the MC, aka Dane's mother, with such intensity, pure hate. I don't think I've had such a strong reaction to a character before. I loved to hate her, it felt good, dark and disturbed. There is something wrong with that isn't there ? ARGUH, she played the victim card, the mouse card, the ostrich and the good Christian woman deck, she was a hot mess of excuses with no good cards to play.
So my final take is, F*ck yeh ! ( )
  TheYodamom | Apr 19, 2016 |
Wow. This book. It is scary, creepy and gross all at the same time. Dane is a terrifying character and what he does to people... let me just say ewww. His nickname is the Rest Stop Dentist because he takes his victim's teeth and leaves them in a trail leading to the body. Dane has been executed by the state of Arkansas, but that doesn't stop him from taking his revenge.

The book is told alternately through Dane's mother Ella's eyes in the present day and in flashbacks to when Ella & Dane's father met and Dane's childhood. By doing this, Lorn allows us to see the sweet, innocent boy that Dane was.

I felt sorry for Dane and was scared of him at the same time. He wasn't born a serial killer. He suffered horrific abuse from his father growing up. It was quite difficult to read about at times (children are a soft spot for me, along with dogs). His mother (Ella) stood by and let it happen. I can't even imagine how she could allow Dane to suffer such abuse. I would never let anyone touch my children if I was around to stop them. Yet somehow Lorn made me feel sorry for Ella even as I wanted to smack her and make her realize what she was doing to her son.

This is a dark book, with graphic descriptions of violence committed by Dane, alive & dead. It is very intense and hard to put down. I loved every minute of it and I couldn't have predicted the end in a million years. After I read the end, I had to go back and read it again. I just couldn't believe what happened.

Recommended to :
Fans of horror and serial killer stories. The surprise ending with leave you with your mouth hanging open.... ( )
  Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,993,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible