The Jade Pirate: Elizabeth Latimer, Pirate…

The Jade Pirate: Elizabeth Latimer, Pirate Hunter

by Deborah Cannon

The Latimer girls, their friends and CJ the parrot are on the hunt again. In this, the second book of the series, they are once again searching for their missing father supposedly lost at sea. While their cousin is working as a marine physicist on a classified mission on an oceanographic research vessel in China, they are enjoying their day at the market when Elizabeth notices a shop with little wooden boats exactly like her father used to make, right down to his unique signature graphic. Thus begins another rollicking adventure through the vortex, this time into the days when pirates ruled the China Sea.

I love this young adult adventure series by Deborah Cannon, full of humour, murderous attacks, kidnapping and Elizabeth's feelings escalating between two young men, one from the past...or is it the future...one from her own time. Though she finds her father in the home of Cho, and escapes with him, he is again kidnapped. Will she find her father again? Will he know her if she does? Fraught with danger, this is a great adventure, mixing history with fantasy as their search for their father and Cho, a modern day pirate and his captor, goes deep into the pirate world of the greatest pirate on the China Seas in the 1800s, Cheng I Sao, Mrs. Cheng.

The biggest problem facing our group, other than staying alive, is to avoid changing history. Lulu at home is keeping track of that on her I-phone and indeed history has been changed a few times; they must correct all the wrongs. Great characters, along with CJ the irascible but irresistible parrot and the mysterious Daniel, all in all, this is an exciting storyline, built on fact and fiction both. This book has all the elements of excitement for young adults, early teens, and adults. ( )
  readerbynight | Apr 18, 2014 |
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.
I began this book and couldn't put it down. The characters are well defined and relatable. You are endeared to them and feel as if you are part of the group. I did not read the first book in the series and though the book referred to things that occurred in that book it did not leave this one lacking. I am going back to the first book just out of curiosity. If you like pirates and time travel this is a book for you. ( )
  sportzmomof5 | Sep 30, 2013 |
This book picks up where The Pirate Vortex left off. This time she is off to find both parents. Rumour has it that her father is still alive. The book is exciting. We have pirates, sword fights, captures, miraculous escapes, and a little bit of a love story thrown into the mix. Again Deborah Cannon's imagination takes flight and I was glad to go for the ride. ( )
  lexiesmom | Aug 9, 2013 |

Everyone agrees that Elizabeth Latimer’s dad drowned in a vicious squall while out sailing. But when he turns up alive in China four years later and is kidnapped by a modern day pirate who threatens to sell the secret of the Vortex to the Chinese government, Liz leaps into the past to chase down the kidnapper, only to learn that he has married the pirate witch Mrs. Cheng. Her mission: to fix the timeline and reunite Mrs. Cheng with her true love.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Deborah Cannon's book The Jade Pirate was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Deborah Cannon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,642,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible