The Shift by Fiona Dodwell

by Fiona Dodwell

113,689,591 (5)None
Recently added byYawatta

No tags.

***I received a free book in exchange for a book review***

I loved this 45 chapter book. The opening line in the prologue, He leaned forward pressing his face close to her mouth and listened, waiting for breath that would not come, had me hooked. My other favorite lines: 1) Time isn’t the healer it’s promised to be. 2) “God you’re infuriatingly naive, Michael. I can’t decide whether it’s cute or annoying.” 3) It all looked so…normal, so real. Yet the thoughts of what had happened to him were floating persistently in his mind, vying for his attention.

This story gave me chills from start to finish. It was very creepy and frightening. The author did a wonderful job with dialogue and description. I could definitely see this as a blockbuster hit. My favorite suspense moments occurred when a guy wearing a clown mask stalked Michael. He was haunted by a ghost, no matter if he was at home or work. He worked in Hill Wood House, which was a facility that took care of disabled folks. Even his patients could see the black shadow following him. Spooky!

This suspense thriller was written in Michael’s third person point of view. He’s very protective of his sister, Amber, not getting along with her arrogant boyfriend. After a divorce, he’s feeling in a funk, but decides to start dating Sarah. I loved how the mystery of what happened at his first job was a running theme. This is VERY important. There’s a double twist that I didn’t see coming! It reminded me of my favorite John Cusak movie.

I RECOMMEND this book to read. ( )
  Yawatta | Jul 19, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,326,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible