Breakfast at Tiffany's: A Short Novel and…

Breakfast at Tiffany's: A Short Novel and Three Stories (1958)

by Truman Capote

7,168197496 (3.83)60

English (191)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (196)
I love how a short book can encapsulate a feeling so well, and leave you asking some questions, but it still feels finished.

The book really left me with a different impression of the characters, and I wouldn't be surprised if Capote was inspired by a real person for this story, it almost seems like he was writing about himself, or a version of himself, talking with Holly.

I enjoyed the style, and a little peek into these peoples' lives, though I don't think it's my usual fare, it was enjoyable nonetheless. ( )
  Pepperwings | Oct 10, 2017 |
This was surprisingly disappointing to me. Having never read Capote's work, but enjoying the movie, I decided to cross this one off my to-read list.

Capote was a talented writer, however, the subject matter in Breakfast at Tiffany's was just depressing to me. Holly Golightly is a wild, white-trash, country girl who has escaped to the big city, only to continue to spiral into drama and sadness. Her character is crude, self-centered, and vain. In today's world, she'd be a reality tv star. One could argue that she's also a pathological liar.

Big jump from the elegance and sensitivity that Audrey Hepburn naturally brought to the role. If a true-to-the-book movie was being made, I'd probably cast Lindsay Lohan instead.

In summary, it's a well-written but sad slice-of-life. Not what I imagined because of the movie. I probably would have enjoyed re-watching the movie more than reading this. ( )
  vonze | Sep 19, 2017 |
"You can beat your brains out for her, and she'll hand you horseshit on a platter." - O. J. Berman
_______________________
Though I liked the characters, I mostly felt really sad for them. This story isn't about happy people for happy people. It is about two sad souls who happen to meet.
_______________________
"Anyway, home is where you feel at home. I'm still looking." - Holly Golightly
_______________________ ( )
  TheInstaBookworm | Sep 11, 2017 |
This is definitly one of those books that I'm glad I listened to in audio rather than read. Michael C. Hall in my mind was the perfect narrator. Also, as is almost always the case, the book is wayyyyy better than the movie! The books has a darker tone than the movie (another aspect I enjoyed), so much so that it would be difficult to picture Audrey Hepburn in the leading role had the movie more closely reflected the tone of the book. ( )
  Charlie_Boling | Apr 19, 2017 |
Everyone loves Holiday Golightly. Holly, as she is known to her friends, seems to appeal to all kinds of men and a certain kind of woman. This sassy and shallow teenager makes her way through a Manhattan existence surviving as a society girl, an "American Geisha" as Capote called his creation. She is eye candy to dangle on the arm of a wealthy gentleman so that he might buy her dinners in fancy restaurants, expensive gifts, and maybe, breakfast or two at Tiffany's. Holly Golightly wants to be taken seriously but she is seen as more of an unusual mystery than anything else.
Told from the point of view of her neighbor, a writer who befriends her and becomes enthralled with her (like everyone else), he wants to believe his relationship with her is different. He believes she isn't using him because he has nothing to offer...until she has nothing to offer him. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Mar 7, 2017 |
For Jack Dunphy
I am always drawn back to places where I have lived, the houses and the neighborhoods.
This record is for books which contain the stories Breakfast at Tiffany's, House of Flowers, A Diamond Guitar and A Christmas Memory. Please do not combine editions containing only Breakfast, or with editions that have a different selection of stories.

CONTENTS:

Breakfast at Tiffany's [novella]

House of Flowers [short story]

A Diamond Guitar [short story]

A Christmas Memory [short story]

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067960085X, Hardcover)

Contains:

Breakfast at Tiffany's
House of Flowers
A Diamond Guitar
A Christmas Memory

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:32 -0400)

House of Flowers, A Diamond Guitar, and A Christmas Memory are included with the tale of a fun-loving amoral playgirl in New York City.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182792, 0141037261, 0241951453, 0734306210

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,588,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible