The Lost Boy by Greg Ruth

The Lost Boy

by Greg Ruth

3.5 stars. Well darn it. This is some dang awesome art. I was completely hooked -story wise- from page 1. But it was SO rushed. It felt like trying to fit a full length movie into a twenty minute episode. It desperately needs a sequel- and like 5 more of them.
I hope he has one in the making! ( )
  mollypitchermary | Oct 11, 2017 |
I loved the concept of this book, but for me it just didn't flow well. I started to get confused by the sequence and ended up putting it down. The art is beautiful and I can see this working for a more patient reader. ( )
  michelleannlib | Jul 25, 2017 |
Lost interest around page 85
  Kaethe | Oct 16, 2016 |
The Lost Boy by Greg Ruth is a graphic novel about a move to a new town and the discovery of a long lost mystery. Nate and his family are new in town and he's not happy to have been transplanted from his old neighborhood and friends. While unpacking his boxes, he finds an old tape recorder and a note remarkably addressed to him. Those two items lead him on a path of adventure, danger, and revelation.

I'm a sucker for old house mysteries. Old things revealing old stories and creating new adventures is the recipe for a book I can't resist. Add in an element of the supernatural and I'll probably end up reading in one or two sittings.

The Lost Boy does include the supernatural, though what kind of supernatural is left as part of the big mystery. There are shadowy figures, mysterious creatures, a wood that seems to pop up out of nothing. All of these things are tied to the old tapes that Nate feels compelled to listen to.

It was a fun, roller coaster of a book. I think fans of shows like Supernatural or Gravity Falls will enjoy The Lost Boy ( )
  pussreboots | Oct 2, 2015 |
My favorite book of the last month, primarily because of Ruth's illustration. This is a spooky book - spooky good - imaginative and compelling story. The flow of the black ink on white, Tom Button the doll boy, the birds, the Vespertine, Walt's attack on the bully Bill (shudder) and even the cover image of the reel to reel on Walt's back.... Spooky. (Love the cover illustration, love the perspective from behind.) Originally read it w/ 4th and 5th graders in mind. Great for those (& older) who say "I'm looking for a scary book" and can handle the spooky drawings. Personally, I am very interested in the continuing story.

Didn't know anything about Greg Ruth. His website is terrific. Great video under The Drybrush Master http://www.gregthings.com/#!the-drybrush-master/ccd9 ; older students and adults who are interested in comics, art, illustration would enjoy the book and the videos.

Originally gave it a 4/5; bumping it up to 5/5 because I keep thinking and talking about it, and wish I hadn't returned it to the library - yes, I will be purchasing my own copy. ( )
  margothere.library | Aug 8, 2015 |

Some mysteries are too dangerous to leave alone.

Nate's not happy about his family moving to a new house in a new town. After all, nobody asked him if he wanted to move in the first place. But when he discovers a tape recorder and note addressed to him under the floorboards of his bedroom, he's thrust into a dark mystery about a boy who went missing many, many years ago. Now, as strange happenings and weird creatures begin to track Nate, he must partner with Tabitha, a local girl, to find out what they want with him. But time is running out, for a powerful force is gathering strength in the woods at the edge of town, and before long Nate and Tabitha will be forced to confront a terrifying foe and uncover the truth about the Lost Boy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:16 -0400)

"After Nate moves into his new house, he discovers an old tape recorder in his bedroom and is suddenly thrust into a dark mystery about a boy who went missing many years ago. Now, as strange creatures begin to track Nate, he must partner with Tabitha, a local sleuth, to find out what they want with him. But time is running out, because a powerful force is gathering strength in the woods at the edge of town, and before long Nate and Tabitha will be forced to confront a terrifying foe and uncover the truth about the Lost Boy."--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,433,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible