Vegetarian Dinner: 30 Healthy, Delicious &…

Vegetarian Dinner: 30 Healthy, Delicious & Balanced Recipes (edition 2013)

by Lisa M.K

Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2013), Paperback, 64 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Vegetarian, Cookbook, LTER

Vegetarian Dinner: 30 Healthy, Delicious & Balanced Recipes by Lisa M.K

I received an e-book version of Vegetarian Dinner from Lisa M.K. on LibraryThing in exchange for an honest review.

Being a food enthusiast, I love reading cookbooks and my feelings on this one were mixed. I liked that Lisa included a wide diversity of recipes from different countries and cultures and I liked that she included pictures with the recipes (I like seeing what the end product should look like).

However, quite a few of the recipes were so basic and simple that I was disappointed they were even included in a cookbook. ( )
  Mina.Khan | Sep 1, 2013 |
I received Vegetarian Dinner Cookbook by Lisa M K from Member Giveaway LibraryThing in exchange for a honest review.
Lately, I've been on a cook-my-own-from-scratch (instead of buying pre-prepared meals) to help my family eat healthy and nutritional meals. Well, that is easier said then done. The continual hectic pace of life gets in the way. Solution, find quick to prepare, yet delicious dinners. This lead me to grab any cookbook that says it has quick to prepare delicious meals. I am not a vegetarian, but I don't turn my nose away from a delicious vegetarian prepared meal.

Perusing Vegetarian Dinner Cookbook was easy. 30 recipes divided for 1, 2 or 4 people. The recipes also range from the very quick (I am starving and can't wait 30 minutes for my dinner) to usually 45 minutes prep and cook time of more regular meals. The meals for 2 or 4 people were my main interest, but on a weeknight that I am the only one eating, I could see trying a one person recipe, but it would have to be the quick prep and cook recipe. Can't see myself spending 45 minutes on a meal just for myself and no left-overs.

Most of the recipes have easy to find ingredients (aka, I can find them in my pantry). This is essential, so I don't add more stress and give up my cook-my-own meals strategy. Also some can be pre-prepared. That leaves just putting it in over for 20 to 30 minutes. Most of the recipes are recipes I already ate at some point on my life, which makes it easy to decide if it's something the family would like (don't want to experiment on hungry weekday night--leave that for weekend).

While some recipes in the book I would skip (don't really care for some of the suggested spices/Asian type recipes), I find that I can add several easy to prepare new recipes to my weeknights and that is a relief. I suggest this cookbook for someone looking to add some tried-and-true recipes to their weeknight menu. ( )
  edjane | Aug 12, 2013 |
I received this book through librarything.com.

Vegetarian Dinner: 30 Healthy, Delicious & Balanced Recipes by Lisa M.K (anyone know why is there no stop after K?) was put together in haste. There are some nice recipes but there are many problems.

The biggest problem is that the recipes are not complete. The very first recipe, tomato soup, has cream in the recipe but it is not added to the soup. The onion soup [called "traditional" which it is not] has no liquid, only a miniscule amount of reduced stock. The recipe called "Tastes of Mexico," which is intended to be a kind of stew, I think (no photo or serving suggestion included) contains 3 T raw rice which is tossed into the pot with some veg and then brought to a boil. End of recipe. There are no instructions to cook till the rice is done. A one-serving sweet potato dish called for 1/2 egg, which is a protein and cash waste.

The recipe "Freshly chilled oriental noodle salad" calls for bean thread but the photo is of rice noodles. The recipe calls for soaking the bean thread for 10 minutes in boiling water and then boiling for an additional 6 minutes. Well, if you do that your bean thread will be a gummy mess. I live in Thailand and eat bean thread all the time. Bean thread for salads is soaked and not boiled. Bean thread boiled in soup is not soaked. The word "freshly" in the title is extraneous.

The pilaf of broccoli and cashews will result in overcooked broccoli and undercooked rice.

Ms M.K does not peel or seed her tomatoes. Peel can add texture but leaving the seeds in isn't very classy and it adds extra liquid that then needs to be boiled off. In recipes where tomatoes are to be pureed, including the seeds adds tiny hard bits and a hint of bitterness to the final sauce.

Strata does not need to be rested overnight. The bread just has to be soaked through. Use a bit more milk if you are in a hurry. Better yet, cube the bread. That way the dish puffs like a soufflé and then collapses. In our family we call it "cheese flop."

The text has a bunch of pronoun errors. The author is one person so who is the "we" mentioned sometimes but not always? There is at least one instance where what should be "books" is singular. Some of the sentences are clunky. Broccoli "florets" is spelled wrong.

Above are the technical problems with the book. Other than that, I don't like the cutsie names for the recipes and I wonder if people really need recipes for sandwiches but those are just my preferences. "Cheesy zucchini burgers" are latke on buns. And there is too much reliance on canned prepared food. Canned beans are good to have around but why are we hearing about using canned refried beans. To make refried canned beans, start any recipe when it says to add the cooked beans from the olla. Why bottled commercial pasta sauce?

The .pdf copy I received has an odd layout but that might be an artifact of the .pdf conversion. In any case for the final book the author should try to make it look better. Get a photo of the author that is in focus. ( )
  Dokfintong | Aug 5, 2013 |
Easy, fast vegetarian dinner recipes. The recipes are organized by the number of people you are cooking for, which is a plus for me. I enjoyed being able to pick fresh vegetables from my garden and find an easy recipe to prepare with them from this cookbook. I personally enjoyed the Cheesy Zucchini Burgers. ( )
  Mishker | Aug 4, 2013 |
I love that this cookbook is vegetable oriented, usually when you get a vegetarian cookbook it contains tofu or tempeh or other proteins. Lisa does a great job keeping vegetables the stars of the plate! Our kids gobbled up many of the recipes from this book, and it made our meatless dinner night so much easier! Many of the recipes don't need a lot of ingredients and we had many options on hand! ( )
  Srosch | Jul 27, 2013 |
added by Srosch | editAmazon

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,678,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible