Lifetime: The Amazing Numbers in Animal…

Lifetime: The Amazing Numbers in Animal Lives

by Lola M. Schaefer

In my opinion this book was very interesting. I thought this book was interesting because of its language and illustrations. The language in this book is patterned. For example, every two pages are dedicated to one animal that tells a fact and has a picture that went along with that animal and or fact. The language in this book is also very clear. The facts that are stated are not written in an advanced way that makes it hard to understand, but in a clear and informative way. The illustrations in this book are also interesting because different illustrations help put facts into perspective. For example, there is a fact that states “in one life time a male seashore will birth 1,000 baby seahorses,” and on the next page there are 1,000 baby seahorses. This helped me put into perspective how many babies that truly is. Another great thing about the illustrations in this book is it fits the style of the text. Since every two pages are different animals there are different color schemes that go along with that animal. I think this is great because not all animals live in the bright outdoors, some live deep in the dark ocean and I think that is important to point out.
In conclusion, I believe the author, Lola Schaefer, is trying to inform readers on interesting facts of unique animals. I believe she did this in a very creative way which helped make the book interesting and engaging! ( )
  mmarti44 | Apr 10, 2017 |
I thought this book was cute and informational! I believe it was sort of an informational text in regard to the fact about many different types of wildlife. The language was cute and included a few puns! These will definitely interest readers! For example, the page that states, "In one lifetime, the female red kangaroo will birth 50 joeys.. So many hoppy birthdays!" I thought this was adorable. I also liked how the story was told and the pace at which it was told. The writing was informative and engaging and told me some facts that I had prior knowledge of and some that I didn't even think about before! I enjoyed how there was a little bit of math involved throughout the text, and it pretty much made the text what it was. The reason I did not give the text 5 stars is because there is not much of an idea or message that I was able to take away from the book. There is also not much of a plot. If I'm really stretching for a main idea, it could be that all different types of wildlife have different ways of living, and these ways they live are not similar to the way humans live. ( )
  hfetty1 | Mar 7, 2016 |
A brilliant concept book for learning about the wondrous things that can happen in just one animal's lifetime, visualizing large and small numbers, and the concept of averages. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
Lifetime tells you about how many times animal will perform a distinctive act within its lifetime. For example, a male seahorse will carry and birth 1,000 baby seahorses. Two pages are dedicated to a particular animal with colorful pictures illustrated the total number, for example 550 eggs are shown for how many the alligator will lay in a lifetime. The author has a at the beginning stating how she can come up with her numbers and the variables that may exist. At the end story she gives more background information about each animal and shares the math that was involved in coming up with the numbers.
  ryckecraw | Nov 22, 2014 |
What a unique twist on a number book! The illustrations are beautiful and the text is easy to read. This is not an average counting book but rather a unique way to show typicak or unusal number of times an animal does a behavior. This is a great book to teach across curriculum with math, english and reading. I feel this book is most appropraite for children k-3. I also enjoyed at the end of the book, the author gives you some more information about the animals featured in the book, explains what an "average" is, and talks about her love of math. I would suggest this book to any teacher to add to their class library.
  dbushnell3 | May 6, 2014 |

A counting primer that combines contrasting illustrations with animal facts, inviting young children to count a woodpecker's 30 roosting holes, a giraffe's 200 spots, and 1000 baby seahorses.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,748,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible