Weaveworld by Clive Barker

Weaveworld (1987)

by Clive Barker

In Silent Graves by Gary A. Braunbeck (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: In Silent Graves shares many themes in common with Weaveworld. To say much more may act as a spoiler for both books.
    Dreams and Shadows by C. Robert Cargill (Sandwich76)
    Kraken by China Miéville (ShelfMonkey)

English (39)  French (1)  All languages (40)
I didn't finish the book. I couldn't relate to the characters and the story bored me. I'm just not the reader for this book. ( )
  Sept | May 21, 2019 |
A very well-written dark fantasy novel. Full of charming characters, surreal imagery, and patches of wonderfully disturbing writing. I honestly cannot believe it took me this long to read Clive Barker. What was I doing with my life? This is a medium-to-long book, and Barker's narration never failed to keep me engrossed: through imaginative and detailed prose, Barker brings his characters and their vibrant, fantastical settings to life.
I cannot wait to dive into Barker's oeuvre. He seems like a relatively forgotten Fantasy/Horror writer who definitely deserves more attention. ( )
  markhopp | Jan 16, 2019 |
I first read WEAVEWORLD back in the late '80s just after it came out, and did so while on a boat trip around the Chester area on the Shropshire Union canal, so it was an episodic reading experience, punctuated by working locks, taking in scenery, and visiting a huge number of pubs. It's a surprise any of it stuck with me at all really, but I found on rereading this weekend that large chunks of it were there in my memory, flickering lights, raptures as Barker describes them, seductions and visions of elsewhere to make your heart break.

I got more out of it this time round, reading it in a solid chunk over two days. It's a masterful piece of work, full of Barker's vision, parts of it poetic, other parts showing off his visual imagination to the full, and all of it grounded in the character of Cal Mooney, lost in the lights of a vision of something he doesn't understand, but knows that he needs.

The central conceit of a magic carpet, and the wonders it contains is a great one to hang a fantasy on, and this is indeed fantasy, albeit one with a grotesque edge of horror, particularly in the villains, who are among the nastiest in fiction.

It's a big slab of a book, but I didn't notice, as I was lost and away with Cal in Wonderland most of the time, and I was almost sad to finish it.

It reminded me of something I'd forgotten, a need for wonder, something my own recent writings has lacked, and something I'll be trying to rectify. But I can't hope to reach Barker's flickering, glorious, raptures of body horror; that vision is his and his alone.

I was sorely disappointed with Barker's SCARLET GOSPELS, but reading WEAVEWORLD again reminded me that, on his game, he's up there with the best.

And this is one of the best. ( )
1 vote williemeikle | Dec 22, 2018 |
I couldn't really get into this one and must admit I skimmed a lot during the 2nd half. It's an interesting concept but Barker didn't manage to completely engage me and I felt emotionally detached from both the outcome and the characters throughout the story. ( )
  Vinjii | Mar 29, 2018 |
Weaveworld is a standalone fantasy written in the late 80’s, set in the “real world” at around the time it was written. We follow two main characters, Cal and Suzanna. In the beginning, Cal gets a glimpse of a secret world hidden in the weave of a carpet, and longs to visit it. At around the same time, Suzanna is urgently summoned by her grandmother, whom she barely knows. Her grandmother is the last remaining guardian of that secret world, but naturally she’s too ill by the time Suzanna arrives to give her any useful information.

The story caught my interest right at the beginning. It was a bit cheesy and melodramatic at times, with a definite 80’s vibe, but it was interesting. However, I started to lose interest after the first third or so, and from there it fluctuated. I was a little disappointed that we didn’t get to spend more time exploring the mysteries of this secret world and its inhabitants; I was particularly interested in that. Another problem I had was that there is a lot of hopelessness that permeates the second half, to the point that I almost didn’t care what happened by the end. The story did pick up for me some toward the end, but I think the first part was my favorite.

There are some horror elements, but mostly I would just consider it a fantasy story. The horror elements were more gruesome than creepy, and a bit over-the-top at times. The cheese factor was pretty high, at least in the beginning. After a while, I’m not sure if it was toned down or if I just got used to it. As one example, the term used for a power possessed by some women in the story is the menstruum. Yes, really.

So I guess I have mixed feelings. I did like the characters, and I enjoyed the imagination and potential of the story, and I thought it was told pretty well. On the other hand, I was sometimes bored by the direction it took and I rolled my eyes at some of the cheesiness. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Jul 30, 2017 |

—Saint-Exupery,
The Wisdom of the Sands
To D. J. D.
Nothing ever begins.

Clive Barker has made his mark on modern fiction by exposing all that is surreal and magical in the ordinary world --- and exploring the profound and overwhelming terror that results. With its volatile mix of the fantastical and the contemporary, the everyday and the otherworldly, Weaveworld is an epic work of dark fantasy and horror -- a tour de force from one of today's most forceful and imaginative artists.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:19 -0400)

Susanna, granddaughter of the last caretaker, Calhoun Mooney, and Immacolata, an exiled witch intent on destroying her race, vie for a rug into which the world of Seerkind has been woven.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,761,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible