A Boy & a Girl by Jamie S. Rich

A Boy & a Girl

by Jamie S. Rich, Natalie Nourigat (Illustrator)

2013 (1) 2014 (1) ARC (2) comic (1) comics (1) Comix (2) cybils14 (1) Doos 113 (1) graphic novel (6) graphic novels (1) kipple (1) netgalley (1) NFNT (1) paperback (1) PDF (1) publisher (1) read (1) read in 2015 (1) robots (1) romance (1) science fiction (3) SQA (1) to-read (5) YA (1)

A Boy & a Girl by Jamie S. Rich is about a chance meeting and infatuation at first sight. Travis meets Charley on her last day in town and he desperately wants to get to know her better before she ships out.

But this isn't just any boy meets girl, boy loses girl type comedy. No. This one is set in a future where artificial intelligence has gotten good enough that androids are becoming commonplace. There are even those, its rumored, who can pass as human, even to themselves.

A Boy & a Girl is the graphic novel thematic missing link between Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (1968) and Ridley Scott's Bladerunner (1982). Anyone familiar with either the book or the film will figure out what's really going on pretty quickly, but it's still a delightful and satisfying read. ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 14, 2015 |
An immensely compelling and beautiful romance. Set in a future world this story has a bit of everything including an amazing surprise ending. While on the surface the book simply tells an enchanting love story between two young twenty-somethings underneath lie some very deep issues that will provoke thought. Is free will important or even necessary? In a technological age would (could?) religion and God be reasoned away? Are emotions what make humans have Faith? Much, much more to ponder but those struck me hardest. The art is utterly stunning. A lovely book! ( )
  ElizaJane | Mar 10, 2015 |
I haven't fallen into a story this hard in years. I literally couldn't hear my boyfriend when he was talking to me. I was afraid Natalie Nourigat's art would be "too polished" and lose the energy and emotion she had in Between Gears, but I was pleased to be wrong. It is still Nourigat and fantastic. Just cleaned up and easy to follow. And now I am ready to look for more by Jamie S. Rich. The surprises were actually surprising and the story is sweet and weird and totally up my alley. ( )
  inkyphalangies | Nov 28, 2014 |
ARC provided by NetGalley

The future is here and lifelike androids an AI is real. But emotion is still real and love cannot be denied as a boy and a girl meet, and neither can forget each other. It's Charley's last night in town and Travis can't get her out of his mind. He spends all day attempting to track her down and when he finally does...it will be night that neither of them will forget.

I know it sounds like a common, hackneyed plot from a bad romance movie...but trust me it isn't. The only bad thing about this book is trying to write a review that doesn't give the plot away. But let's image Asimov meets a John Cusak rom/com film, robots and love and life and what it all means. In this relatively short book Jamie has crafted a story that leaves us questioning what emotion really is and what it can be. It's a well written story that deserves several reads and I can imagine will be a great book group discussion.

Natalie has quickly become one of my favorite artists since discovering her autobiographical comic, Between the Gears. Her artwork is deceptively simple, easily capturing the bare essence of the characters in a few simple lines and bringing to life the world around them. Overall the images are engaging and draw you in so that you can be a part of the life of the characters.

I give this compelling story 4 out of 5 stars and would recommend it for teenage readers and up. When it comes out it will definitely have a place in my library. ( )
  zzshupinga | Jul 20, 2013 |

Rich, Jamie S.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nourigat, NatalieIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

"In a technologically advanced future, college student Travis tracks down a girl named Charley after he meets her at a party, only to find out she's an experimental robot"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,728,111 books! | Top bar: Always visible