Vengeance Borne by Amanda Bonilla

Vengeance Borne

by Amanda Bonilla

Vengeance Borne is the first book in the new Sentry of Evil series by Amanda Bonilla.

Since she can remember Jacquelyn (Jax) has only known as life as a Waerd, she doesn’t remember her parents or where she came from, she only knows she was raised and trained to be a Waerd, a Hunter of supernatural creatures.
After a mission went wrong Jax was sanctioned and sent to the little town of McCall in Idaho as a penalty.
Jax has come to love McCall and almost all of its inhabitants. Her five years as the little town’s Waerd have been almost uneventful; the most action she had seen had been next to her assigned Bearer and ex-boyfriend, Finn.
Waerds and Bearers work along side; Bearers make Waerds jobs possible, they are not only empaths but they can also heal the Waerds, something that comes very handy when your jobs is to hunt, banish or kill the evil creatures that walk the night.

Things used to be good between Jax and Finn, until Jax realized Finn was using his empathic abilities on her more and more each day, it got to a point where Jax didn’t know if what she was feeling was real or it was what Finn wanted her to feel. Since she break up Finn has changed, he’s desperate to get her back and doing things he shouldn’t be doing.

From an early age Micah has suffered from visions and other strange phenomena. He has tried everything to stop what he thinks is a curse, but only on prescription pills he has found the peace and quiet he so longs for.
Wanting a change in his life, Micah sells everything he owns, buys an RV and starts to drive without a fixed course. When he stops to refuel in a little town he runs into a woman (Jax) that strangely he not only feels he knows her but he has also dreamed about. He can’t wait to know more about her and decides to stay couple of days in McCall.

Jax life is in a turmoil, she’s not only dealing with Finn and his obsessive behavior, she is also investigating some gruesome murders that are happening all around town, if that wasn’t enough a very strong Bearer has come to town, the only problem is that he (Micah) doesn’t know what he is. Feeling kind of responsible for Micah Jax asks her supervisor and mentor, Trish, for help. As a strong Bearer Trish is the best person to help and guide Micah, something that doesn’t sit well with Finn.

Since the moment I heard Amanda Bonilla was writing a new series I was eagerly waiting for the release of this, its first book. I’m happy to say that Mrs. Bonilla didn’t disappoint me, Vengeance Borne is everything I was expecting it to be and more.

In her Shaede Assassin series Mrs. Bonilla shows us she is a master at writing kick ass heroines and Vengeance Borne is not the exception.
Jax is everything you expect from an urban fantasy heroine and more; she is strong, smart, funny and loyal to those she cares about. She may not love her job most of the days, but she knows she has to do it, not for her, but to protect those that cannot protect themselves.
Being a Waerd is not an easy job; first, it’s a lifetime commitment with no way out, one in which she is always in danger of injury or worse, and if that wasn’t enough the long unremunerated hours are sure to take a toll on her, especially when she has to have a normal job to support herself.
Jax doesn’t know anything about her past or where she came from, she only knows the Sentry (Organization that controls the Waerds and Bearers) and her life as a Waerd. Mrs. Bonilla gives us some hints that there is more about Jax we don’t know. There is a story about her past that I’m dying to discover.
I really liked Micah, he’s not your normal hero, he’s dealing with some serious issues and has a long way to go now that he has discovered he’s a Bearer. He may not be perfect but it’s easy to see that he has a good heart and has the best intentions, sometimes that count more than actions. I know there is a bigger story about him too and I can’t wait to see what Mrs. Bonilla has planned for him.

There is an instant attraction between Micah and Jax, but that is usually expected from Waerds and Bearers. Jax just came out of a relationship and the last thing she wants is to jump in another man’s arms, but sometimes what you want and what life wants are completely different things.

I’m on the fence about Finn; he did some reprehensive things that made me dislike him, but at the same time I know that he did what he did because of love and love sometimes makes us do crazy things. He was desperate to get Jax back but sadly the way he went was disgraceful and completely wrong.

In Vengeance Borne Mrs. Bonilla gives us a creepy villain and gruesome murders scenes that are so vivid and realistic you are almost guarantee to have nightmares about.
Vengeance Borne is a fast paced book, with a strong world building, multilayer characters and a story with so many twists and turns that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Vengeance Borne is a must read for urban fantasy lovers and one I can’t recommend enough.

I’m eagerly looking forward to 2014 to the release of next to book in the series. I can’t wait to see what Mrs. Bonilla has in store for Jax, Micah, Trish and the rest of the amazing cast. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
3.5 Stars

I've been reading Ms Bonilla's Shaede Assassin Series and am thoroughly enjoying them. Vengeance Borne sounded right down my alley.

What I liked: A different concept in the Urban Fantasy explosion. I know, each author puts their own spin on each series and I enjoy them all. It's just exciting when something new comes along. The idea of someone who seems like an everyday person secretly protecting the real everyday people is an unusual concept especially the way the story is told. The connection between Jax and Micah (love that name) is steamy and quick. The descriptions of the area around and including McCall are great. The world building is getting there. The characters, including the secondary ones, are driving the story so far.

What I didn't like: Jax seems a bit wishy washy. One minute she wants help with her feelings, the next she gets mad when one of the Bearers helps her. I down right don't like Finn's character but I think that was pretty much Ms Bonilla's point.

Admittedly there were some rough parts for me but the writing is top-notch. The first book in a series can be difficult. It has to catch the reader's attention and hold it while trying to weave in the current and back stories. It's a testament when an author can do that and leave you wanting more which is exactly what this author did. I was right at 1/3 of the way through Vengeance Borne and tweeted her to find out when the next book is due. We have a long wait readers but she assured me, she's writing as fast as she can.

Since I had already read this author's work and knew she was a solid entertainer, I didn't mind paying the $4.99 price for the e-book. The paperback is a bit high at $9.54 so I'd stick with the Kindle version.

Highly recommend for Urban Fantasy fans. ( )
  Fidget78 | Jan 5, 2014 |
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Any novel that opens with a Dean Winchester reference within the first one hundred pages is a surefire winner in my opinion so let me introduce you to Vengeance Borne, book one in Amanda Bonilla’s brand new Sentry of Evil series. As a long-time fan of her Shaede Assassin novels, I knew that I was in for intriguing world-building, scorching romance and complex characters; this story delivered that and more!

Bonilla’s supes reminded me a bit of Rachel Vincent’s “skilled” characters in her Unbound series; the emotional connection between Waerds and Bearers is somewhat similar to the latter’s blood bonds. I enjoyed unraveling the intricate web that links the Sentry’s soldiers to their healers. It certainly added an extra, albeit problematic, element to an already complicated love triangle! I don’t know what the future holds for Jacquelyn, Finn and Micah but its sure going to be fun finding out! My only complaint with the Sentry of Evil universe is that I wish more had been explained. I realize that Bonilla has the rest of this series to do that but that doesn’t stop me from still wanting more now!

The Furies are one of my favourite big bads in Urban Fantasy because their motto is pretty much kill everything in sight which means that Vengeance Borne and action-packed are practically synonymous. I always enjoy a good vendetta driven plot line because emotional killers are the most entertaining kind of psychopaths. Unfortunately, I figured out who the culprit was rather early on which made this novel’s ending somewhat predictable. I think this is one of the reasons behind my complaint about the world-building; I needed something to distract me from the obvious villain. The love triangle was a good start but it just wasn’t enough.

I enjoyed Jacquelyn’s character although she does seem a tad bitter about her lot in life. I’m going to hold off passing judgment for now until I learn more about the Sentry. I have a feeling that I’ll have a lot more sympathy for her once I understand the whole picture. Finn irritated me but I’m not certain whether it was because being an Empath has its own set of challenges or simply because he’s a douche. Micah is also a Bearer and I took an immediate liking to him. He’s broken, conflicted, brave and head-over-heels in love with a demon slayer. Poor boy. Things are definitely going to get a whole lot more interesting in the small town of McCall.

Vengeance Borne hits all the right notes with great writing and promising new mythology; welcome to the Sentry of Evil series! ( )
  RabidReads | Sep 13, 2013 |
As a ward Jacquelyn (aka Jax) is charged with protecting the small town of McCall Idaho. It is not a glamorous job but she takes it seriously and when people start dying she steps up to solve the mystery and take down the killer. Her ex boyfriend Finn happens to be her bearer and does everything in his power to try and snag her back but Jacquelyn is sick of his use of power towards her. When Micah strolls in to town she is instantly drawn to him. Micah just happens to be a powerful bearer that has no idea what kind of life he will now be living.

Although I enjoyed the story I felt the beginning was not as easy to get through as I had hoped and it lagged at a few points. It took me a bit to like Jax, I thought she took unnecessary risks and had a bit of a whiny attitude. As the story progressed I got to know who she was beyond that and why she does what she does. You could not help feeling what she was feeling (or not feeling at points). I never really liked Finn. Although he was protective of Jax he was extremely hot-headed and I could not get over his use of his gifts. He crossed lines and it made me cringe every time Jax was near him. I enjoyed Micah from the get go. He was just as damaged as the rest of the characters but he just had this draw to him that you could not resist. I rooted for him in his role to the story as well as his relationship with Jacqueline.

Ok it might seem as though I did not enjoy VENGEANCE BORNE that much but I really did when all was said and done. The new world that Bonilla has envisioned and brought to life for us was interesting and the characters grew on me. She did a great job explaining her characters gifts as well as drawing the audience (aka me) into her story. The Sentry of Evil series has promise and I look forward to seeing what Jax does next! ( )
  STACYatUFI | Sep 2, 2013 |

Fated to Hunt... As the local hunter, and a ward of the Sentry, a secret organization dedicated to eradicating the forces of evil, Jacquelyn has been protecting the small town of McCall, Idaho for the past five years. The hours are horrible, the pay is nonexistent, she has to work with her jealous ex-boyfriend - and forget about quitting. She's in for life. Destined to See... When a rugged drifter comes through town, Jacquelyn immediately knows what he is - an Empath who can read emotions and sense what others are thinking - even though it's clear the handsome stranger has no idea what, or how powerful, he is... A Town in Peril... When people in McCall start turning up dead, viciously ripped to shreds as if by a wild animal, Jacquelyn knows better. Furies are loose in Idaho and hell-bent on exacting revenge. But against whom? And for what purpose? Jacquelyn has until the full moon to stop the Furies' killing spree and save the people of McCall, figure out how to work with her ex - oh, and there's a handsome stranger in town who's in desperate need of some schooling...… (more)

Amanda Bonilla is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,992,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible