Hell or High Water (Lost and Found, Inc.,…

Hell or High Water (Lost and Found, Inc., #1)

by Jerrie Alexander

Another captivating read from Ms Alexander.

From the opening scene of the heroine being held captive by sex traffickers you're taken on a roller coaster ride of suspense, two lovers reunited, and plenty of shocking discoveries.

As this is the first in the series a large cast of characters are introduced. Back in college 4 guys and 1 girl became friends and called themselves the Wolfe Pack. Kate and Nate Wolfe were an item the whole time through college and she thought they'd be together forever but Nate chose to be a Navy Seal and she hasnt seen him or forgiven him for leaving her ten years ago. Kate kept in touch with on of the pack, Tyrell Castillo, and he pulls in Nate, who's starting up his own business, to help protect Kate.

Kate is a investigator with the Dallas Child Protective Services. When she's assigned a 17 year old girls case who had been kidnapped and raped but managed to escape ciaos ensues. When the girl is killed in the hospital at the same time Kate was abducted she knows its all related and Tyrell knows her life is probably still in danger. Nate's first encounter with Kate after 10 years is saving her from being abducted again. Even though she's grateful she is at war with hating him and realizing her heart still belongs to him.

From here the investigation takes them all over the place trying to find out who traffickers. There's plenty of suspense and one big surprise to keep you on the edge of your seat. It was also fun to watch Nate and Kate try and avoiding giving in to there sexual pull and not succeeding - plenty of hot between the sheets for these two.

This was a great start to the series and the teaser chapter we got at the end of Tyrell's book looks to be just as exciting.
  CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |
Hooked from the beginning. Fast paced, full of twists and turns that kept me captivated, sexy alpha males doing the protector thing, a strong female character full of sass and bravado.
The plot was believable and well done as well as the writing and although I enjoyed the story about Kay and Nate, I was wondering what happens to Jake and Holly...because I will definitely read more from this author. ( )
  Lost_Lenore | May 28, 2014 |

Kay knew Nate, Tyrell, Marcus and Jake from University. They were a tight knit group, even when Kay and Nate started dating. But then he walked away and cut ties after joining the military. First she lost her twin brother Kevin in a car accident, her father turned his back on her, then Nate left. Since then she has kept her heart closed off. When Nate returns and becomes her bodyguard/protector from people determined to either kidnap or kill her, her life isn't the only thing at risk; her heart is too, and Nate is willing to do whatever it takes to make her his again.

Another exciting read from Jerrie Alexander. Like all her other romantic suspense novels, I enjoyed this book and read it in one sitting, however it wasn't my favorite. The plot was suspenseful, but nothing quite like her prior stories. Human trafficking and rape is never easy to read about, but the author handled it well without going into graphic detail.

There was a fair amount of action and crafty plot twists in this story which got the wheels in my head turning. I loved that the author kept me guessing and trying to put puzzle pieces together. The dynamic of "Wolfe's Pack" provided the humor but also the backbone of the story. They each had just enough face time that I came to care about them and long to read their stories. As for Nate, he was on the quiet side and absorbed the verbal snark that Kay threw his way. It was obvious that she hadn't quite forgiven or forgotten. The sexual tension between them was quite amusing. I think I breathed a sigh of relief along with them when they decided to put each other out of their misery.

At first, I rejoiced when Kay displayed tenacity, courage and she did a good job of taking care of herself in dangerous situations, especially in two particular scenes. However, my admiration began to wane little by little after her best friend, Holly, was kidnapped. For an ex cop she was kind of a basket case instead being able to remain calm under pressure. As for her conflicting emotions about Nate, she stayed mad at him for way too long. I have an aversion towards heroines who swear off men and relationships because their first and only love broke up with them. Nate wanted to serve his country and follow in the footsteps of his grandfather, and I thought her total lack of understanding was selfish on her part. And lastly, her lack of communication skills with Nate at the end dragged on a bit too long for my taste. Luckily a lot of the other characters made up for the slack, and her despicable villains always take things up a notch.

The story picked up steam again towards the end with some surprises and the heroine fighting for her life. The fellas definitely stole the show in this book, and I can't wait for the next book which I think will be Tyrell's story. A good start to a new series.

Rating 3.5 rounded up to 4

Disclaimer: I received a review copy from the author for the purpose of an honest review. ( )
  MsRomanticReads | Feb 27, 2014 |
4.5 stars

Hell or High Water is a great start to a romantic suspense series involving a close-knit college group called Wolfe’s Pack who reunite ten years later, when one of their beloved members, Kaycie (Kay) Tayor becomes the target of a human trafficking operation.

Alexander has established a solid framework for the series by starting out with plot that is well-written and creating dynamic characters that make you want to get to know them better. I like that the author gradually introduces you to the main characters who will play an integral role in the series without overwhelming you with too much information. She establishes the relationships among the characters, provides just enough exposition about their individual situations as a set up future storylines, and gives them enough personality for you to connect with and emotionally begin to invest in their well-being and futures.

The story launches right into the middle of a dramatic situation with Kay, an investigator for Dallas Child Protective Services, trying to escape her kidnappers. The lead-in creates interest and excitement; after all, it’s hard to put down a book when the character is in immediate danger! For me this first intense scene was over much faster than I expected, and it was a bit anticlimactic. However, Alexander more than makes up for any disappointment I may have had with this initial scene in the latter part of the book when she ratchets up the stakes heightening and prolonging the intense, suspenseful situations to the point I became edgy – as in biting my nails, holding my breath, wondering how much more I can take until the story’s resolution. And I loved every minute of the heart pounding action that takes place.

Kay is an amazingly strong heroine, and, even with her law enforcement training, I still admired how she kept herself together in the bleakest of situations. I can say the exact same thing for Kay’s best friend, Holly. Both of them are fighters, both emotionally and physically against those who mean them harm. Not only is Kay in physical danger, but her heart is as well when her former college love, Nate Wolfe, enters the picture determined to protect her no matter how much she protests.

Nate has recently returned to Dallas as a PI and is building a company specializing in providing security. He’s knows he broke Kay’s heart ten years ago, and he doesn’t have any intention of trying to reenter Kay’s life until their mutual friend, Tyrell, calls to warn him about Kay’s situation. Kay is very angry and bitter toward Nate, and I wanted to know exactly what happened that tore them apart because it becomes clear early on they had so much more than a casual fling. The details of their past are gradually revealed as they struggle with their unresolved feelings for one another. The chemistry, the sexual tension is definitely still between them. The major question is whether they can overcome the hurt from mistakes made long ago.

At first, I thought Kay was over-reacting once the reason for going their separate ways is revealed, but after I learned about about Kay’s personal family pain and suffering, I began to understand why thinks Nate betrayed her. She immediately lets Nate know how she feels when he surprises her at home: “Get over yourself.” Her tone matched the hate in her eyes. “You really think I care enough about you to shoot you?”

Fortunately, Nate refuses to let Kay’s behavior deter me, and he lets her know he won’t be cast aside so easily: “I want you. More than I want to breathe. Just know I won’t stop trying.”

He’s changed over the years, and he’s no longer afraid of love. I really appreciate Nate’s persistence and his willingness to take any opening Kay’s will provide:
“He leaned down and grazed her lips with his. It was brief and she didn’t kiss him back, but then she didn’t bite him. All in all, he figured that was a good sign.”

In so many books, the bad guys are exactly as they are meant to be portrayed. Bad. Guys. Yet, I was drawn to Johnny Darling, one of the central antagonists who’s part of the vile human trafficking operation that Kay stumbles upon. Johnny is not a nice man, and he can be counted upon to follow his boss’s orders without question. His loyalty to this man who took him off the streets and gave him a job outweighs any moral hang-ups he may have about performing his duties. Yet, Johnny’s POV reveals a complicated man with a conscience, who seems to believe that the young women he helps to kidnap are sold for purposes other than sex, at least that’s what he tells himself, anyway. I just find it hard to believe that someone with his intellect and who is closely involved in the operation can really be this naive. Let me just say there is much more to Johnny than you might expect, and he has the potential for redemption.

Overall, this is a great read from start to finish. The plot is engaging, the central characters are well-rounded, and the romance sizzles! If you enjoy romantic suspense, then I encourage you to check out this series. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed!

I received a copy of this book from the author for an honest review. ( )
  Sunmtn | Sep 24, 2013 |
This may be my favorite so far from this author. She writes great suspense stories and weaves in romance perfectly (the sex scene are hot!). The angst, fear, turmoil, lust, love, pain, anger...it's all here, rolled up into the pages of this book. There are times you want to crawl in and slap Leah and tell her to get her crap together, and that just means you're invested in the book. The next minute you want to be in her shoes and be laying beside Nate and having him protect you. What a ride. Can't wait for the next installment to release in this series to see who's story gets told next!

This is book one in a series about a couple of college buddies that all went separate ways into service for their country, but make their way back together to form a business named the Lost and Found, Inc. This is for Over 18+. ( )
  Jpress1206 | Jul 21, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,400,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible