Agnes by Jaime Maddox

Agnes

by Jaime Maddox

101880,191 (5)None

This was a book about secrets, a book about a whole lot of secrets.

It's Sandy Parker's journey, both in the present and in the past. It starts in the present with the death of her grandmother Nellie. Then we go back into the past and see how another death, that of her best friend and lover Jeannie made her who she is too. That's also when the Hurricane Agnes comes into play, hitting the river that they both lived on and making it flood more than it ever had before, and changing everyones lives forever.

At the beginning we get little snippets of all the secrets and hints of who or what they apply to or concern, but, they're just hints. Then, throughout the novel more and more hints are given until everything is revealed about each of the secrets.

Sandy also managed to get enmeshed in the mysteries of all the secrets, even though for the most part she doesn't even know that the secrets exist, or that people are keeping things from her.

I was happily surprised by how many things the novel was. It was a bit of a mystery, a little bit more of a romance, and there was a little bit of a thriller in there too. A nice combination of some of my favorite genres.

I will say that unfortunately, I did guess what one of the biggest secrets was going to be about halfway through the book.

Still, it was a really enjoyable novel with greatly written characters. Some which I wanted to throttle because the author got their despicable-ness so spot and , and others which were so fun to read about like Angie, Sandy's daughter or Danny a relative of Sandy's.

I have to say that I also really liked the little things that were put in like the Annie Oakley poster (I'm a sucker for any book that mentions Annie Oakley), and although I'd never heard of Hurricane Agnes before this book, now I'm definitely more interested in it.

I got this advanced galley through Netgalley on behalf of Bold Strokes Books. ( )
  DanieXJ | Dec 12, 2013 |

Sandy Parker left and never looked back after Hurricane Agnes washed her childhood home into the Susquehanna River. Her lover, Jeannie Bennett, died in the flood, and although Sandy went on to live an extraordinary life, she regrets that she never really said good-bye. Now, Sandy returns to bury her grandmother and finally find closure with Jeannie. Instead, she uncovers secrets long buried in the debris of the flood, secrets that at least one person is willing to kill to protect. Will Sandy discover the truth that will change her life forever, or will a murderer put another Parker in the grave?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,242,716 books! | Top bar: Always visible