The Velvet Dowager

The Velvet Dowager

621,268,033 (3.75)None

This is a fantasy story about a girl who travels to another world to stop dying. Emma is lonely, but finally gets friends when Kasey and Buck move in next door. The three have great times, but Emma finds out her friends are sad and sometimes lonely because their mother keeps getting sick, dying and then returning to the family. Emma goes on an adventure to find out why this is happening, ending up at the Velvet Dowager’s estate/kingdom. This story was very strange to me. Yet, it was also fascinating. After reading it, I decided the author must have a great, vivid imagination to write this book. It is a YA fantasy, but nevertheless shows some definite creativity and writing skill. I found the descriptions, though largely beyond belief, quite detailed and interesting. I do agree with one reviewer that the story ends a bit abruptly, but that really does not detract from the book all that much. After reading this book, however, I am unsure whether I will read any others by the author, as this sort of fantasy does not really appeal to me. I do, however, think there are many for whom this book would be a real delight. One thing I did like was the unconventional way the author deals with death, which, itself can be helpful for any reader who is grappling with this issue. I received this from Library Thing to read and review. ( )
  KMT01 | Aug 25, 2013 |
A young adult, science fiction novel where young Emma's new neighbors have a unique issue- their mom keeps dying and then coming back to life, almost as if nothing has happened.
Emma takes it upon herself and transports herself to the land of the Velvet Dowager in order to save her friends mom.
A very unique story line as well as some great conversation about death from a young person's point of view kept this story interesting for me. The end wrapped up a little to nice and neat for me and felt a little rushed. ( )
  Mishker | Jul 30, 2013 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

's book The Velvet Dowager was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,984,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible