War Master's Gate by Adrian Tchaikovsky

War Master's Gate

by Adrian Tchaikovsky

563210,933 (4)2

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.com by express permission of this reviewer   Synopsis Empress Seda and Cheerwell Maker, sisters and enemies in magic, both are trying to gain a magical prize from the Bad Old Days of the inapt. At the same time Collegium is once again threatened by the Wasp Empire, as is the last remaining Ant City of Sarn. And through, under, around and over it all is a vague menace from the Past, waiting to burst through to light of day and rule the world yet again.   My Thoughts Where the previous book, The Air War, was primarily about armies and tech, this book returned to the magical roots of the series Seda is consolidating her power, Cheerwell is still trying to figure out what her newfound powers mean and the battles for the Wasp Empire's supremacy go on.   At over 700 pages [that does include an appendix of names and a short story that fills in a specific part of the story but isn't necessary for it], I never felt like this book dragged.   There was a good balance of magic, tech fighting, politicing both internal and external. It also seemed that Tchaikovsky did a much better job in this book of keeping the scope of his story a little more focused on characters we already knew about. While we are introduced to new characters, they are mainly supporting characters to the main cast.   And you know what? Collegium finally gets conquered. Maybe that will knock some of the arrogance out of the residents, unless it kills them of course.   And the Worm. A "new to us" kinden that was so bad that thousands of years ago the whole Inapt world united to defeat this fearsome foe. And they weren't truly defeated, simply locked away. So guess what happens here? Seda, in her arrogance, accidentally unlocks them. Oh boy, that can't be good! The book ends with the disappearances of whole villages, all the people simply vanished.   In the notes, Tchaikovsky does note that the series is wrapping up. I'm glad to be honest. I want some resolution. Even if he continues the story in another series, I need an end to this. I am guessing/hoping 3 more books? We'll see.   Rating: 4 of 5 Stars Author: Adrian Tchaikovsky " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Unputdownable! I've long been a fan of the Shadows of the Apt series, and War Master's Gate, the ninth book in this amazing series, only makes me like it even more. The plot, the writing, the twists and turns, the characters - everything is spellbinding. On one hand, the war for the lowlands, with Collegium, Sarn and all the rest coming together to fight the wasp armies, is glorious in all its gory glory. And on the other hand, the struggle of Cheerwell and Empress Seda to control an ancient power in the Mantis forest of Nethyon. Both amazingly well written, and kudos to Adrian Tchaikovsky for the way the series is shaping up. The cliffhanger ending is really good too, though I hated the cliffhanger part of it. Nevertheless, the book totally deserved its five star rating. A must read. Can't wait for the next and final installment of the series. ( )
  hoodakaushal | Jun 25, 2014 |
Book 9 out of 10 for Shadows of the Apt. What started out as a bit of a corny premises ( insect people! ) has really grown into a gripping series. One of the best fantasy war series I have read. Really impressive how the author manages to keep all the story threads straight and gets you to care for his entire collection of characters ( )
  bishopza | Feb 7, 2014 |

Relentlessly advancing towards Collegium, the Empire is again seeking to break down its walls. The mighty imperial armies have learnt from their failures, and Empress Seda will brook no weakness in her soldiers. However, Stenwold Maker has earned his title, and the War Master has strategies to save his city. His aviators rule the skies -- but the Wasp Kinden Empire has developed a terrifying new aerial weapon. Yet the campaign may be decided far from marching armies and the noise of battle. In an ancient forest, where Mantis clans pursue their own civil war, the Empress Seda is seeking lost magic. Some dangerous shadow of old night is locked up among these trees and she is wants its power. Cheerwell Maker must stop her, at any cost, but will their rivalry awaken something far deadlier? Something that could make even their clash of nations pale into insignificance ...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,588,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible