Shantytown by César Aira

Shantytown (2001)

by César Aira

Spanish (1)  English (1)  All (2)
Meh. That pretty much sums up all my thoughts on this book.

I read this for the Read Harder Challenge 2017, and it was definitely that...a challenge.

Maybe it's just because I read this slow-moving and ponderous novel after reading a LOT of YA and fantasy, which was fast-paced and easy to read, that I didn't like Shantytown. Somehow though, after reading it, I still have no idea what it was I just read. My brain did not latch on to this story or its characters at all.

Not going to recommend it. ( )
  Raeleigh | Feb 23, 2018 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0811219119, Paperback)

At last, a noir novel from the Argentine master of suspense and surprises

Maxi, a middle-class, directionless ox of a young man who helps the trash pickers of Buenos Aires’s shantytown, attracts the attention of a corrupt, trigger-happy policeman who will use anyone — including two innocent teenage girls — to break a drug ring that he believes is operating within the slum. A strange new drug, a brightly lit carousel of a slum, the kindness of strangers, gunplay... no matter how serious the subject matter, and despite Aira’s “fascination with urban violence and the sinister underside of Latin American politics” (The Millions), Shantytown, like all of Aira’s mesmerizing work, is filled with wonder and mad invention.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:02 -0400)

A middle-class, directionless ox of a young man who helps the trash pickers of Buenos Aires's shantytown attracts the attention of a corrupt policeman who would use anyone including innocent kids to break a drug ring he believes is operating in the slum.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,380,809 books! | Top bar: Always visible