The Brotherhood Conspiracy: A Novel by Terry…

The Brotherhood Conspiracy: A Novel

by Terry Brennan

The Brotherhood Conspiracy is the continuation of the international suspense/intrigue that Terry Brennan began in his first novel, The Sacred Cipher. Following his adventure in Jerusalem to uncover the Third Temple, Tom Bohannon is back in New York trying to get his life back to normal. But threats from enemies old and new and the machinations of world governments and terrorist groups pull Tom and his band of colleagues back into the middle of a search that could bring the world even closer to an end.

The Brotherhood Conspiracy brings back characters from the first novel and adds a lot more — characters that include terrorists, world leaders, intelligence agents and academics — all with conflicting motives and plans. The first half of the book spends a lot of time introducing these characters, and I have to say I had trouble keeping up with who was who. And all the characters have an agenda. This complexity was a bit of a problem for me, causing me to not fully engage with the story. All of the groups involved are on a race to find Israel’s Tent of Meeting. The last half of the book is much more fast-paced. The mixing of historical events with the fictional account gives this novel a real life feel — chilling in light of the fanaticism and calculation exhibited by the characters. And there is obviously a third book coming up, because there are a lot of loose ends and unanswered questions left hanging.

While I think that the overwhelming amount of plot lines is a negative, the spiritual journey the main characters are on is a big positive. We see Tom, whose faith sustained the group in the first book, suffering a crisis of faith. And we have others turn from skeptics to seekers — mostly because of the faith Tom exhibited in book 1. And Proverbs 19:21 was definitely a verse that kept coming to mind –There are many plans in a person’s mind, but it is the counsel of the Lord which will stand.

So, I guess I have some mixed feelings about The Brotherhood Conspiracy. But I will definitely keep book #3 on my wishlist. I just have to know how all this will end!

(Thanks to Kregel for a copy of this book. The opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Aug 1, 2013 |
An ancient Coptic monastery, a hidden desert hideout, the Oval office, and Jerusalem’s Temple mount — these are a few of the stops in Terry Brennan’s latest whirlwind novel. From Lebanon to Ireland, New York to the Suez, The Brotherhood Conspiracy weaves an intricate web of secrecy, espionage and discovery.

The sequel to Brennan’s earlier debut novel The Sacred Cipher, this book continues the adventures of Tom Bohannon and his motley crew of archaeological detectives. Having already discovered a hidden Jewish temple built on the Temple mount but below the Dome of the Rock, an even more outlandish prize lures the frazzled team back to the dangerous quest of discovery.

Once again the author pursues a relentless pace using a staccato rhythm, moving the story one bite-size portion to the next. That approach may be wearisome to some readers, and is frustrating in the earlier portion of the book for those readers who didn’t just put down his earlier book before beginning its sequel. The plot keeps one guessing as the potential of an end-times return of Christ cannot be dismissed, even as the role of a **spoiler alert** newly rediscovered Tabernacle **end spoiler**, doesn’t seem to fit any popular end-times Christian fancies.

Brennan appeals to the amateur archaeologist with his mention of cartouches (Egyptian hieroglyphic ovals), discussions of Demotic and Coptic languages, and his historical treatment of the Crusaders and Jewish history. Occasionally, I found some errors in his historical facts which stood out glaringly against the overall historical emphasis in the tale. 1 Maccabees is mentioned as a book that the Council of Trent removed from the Bible (in fact it was the Protestants who removed it and Trent affirmed its canonicity), and the prophet Jonah is mentioned as having preached 40 years (instead of days) to Nineveh. The story itself stretches credulity, but the first book’s miraculous find of a centuries-old Jewish temple sets the stage for anything being possible. Brennan’s masterful character development and ability to draw out a wide range of emotions from virtually all of his characters keeps the story tethered enough to reality, that the reader goes along with the incredible — and happily at that. One other quibble with the book is its lack of illustrations or maps. At several points in the tale, a visual depiction of what the author labored to describe would have helped immensely.

Fans of archaeological fiction, in the vein of Paul Maier (A Skeleton in God’s Closet) and Don Hoesel (Elisha’s Bones), will enjoy this latest offering from Terry Brennan. Those looking for a fast-paced read with characters striving to follow God’s leading in their lives even as they battle against Islamic assasins and try to evade Israeli intelligence — on a mission for the President of the United States, no less — will also enjoy this intriguing work. I recommend the book and look forward to the third (and final?) book in this series.

Disclaimer: This book was provided by Kregel Publications. I was under no obligation to offer a favorable review. ( )
  bobhayton | Jul 31, 2013 |
Do you like action-packed suspense stories about end times? Do political thrillers that involve ancient artifacts and the fulfillment of biblical prophecy excite you? If so, hang on to your hats - Terry Brennan has just released The Brotherhood Conspiracy and you are in for one wild ride!

The Brotherhood Conspiracy is a complex story told from many viewpoints - but the central character in the story is Tom Bohannon, the Executive Director of the Bowery Mission in New York City. In his previous book - The Sacred Cipher - Tom finds an ancient scroll that turns his life upside down and results in him and his team travelling around the world on a deadly mission filled with international intrigue. Now, Tom is home, happy to be alive, and hoping his life will soon return to normal. That dream, however, is short-lived when he turns on his television and sees the Temple Mount in Jerusalem collapse before his very eyes. Shortly thereafter, he receives a call from the President of the United States, requesting his assistance on yet another dangerous mission...

What ensues is another end-time adventure of epic proportions as Tom and his archaeological team find themselves once again swept up in global affairs that reach beyond human understanding. As they race against the clock to find and decode clues from new artifacts, they must dodge vengeful religious fanatics, assassins with ancient roots, and international conspirators who want to kill them and trigger the annihilation of the Middle East.

To help you keep up with the fast-moving plot, Terry introduces a cast of 26 prominent characters at the beginning of the book - and provides notes regarding a few key historical facts at the end of the book. Reading these first will aid in your overall enjoyment and understanding of his work.

You don't have to read The Sacred Cipher to enjoy this book - but if you're able to, I recommend that you get them both and read them in order, because getting a taste of Terry's writing is only going to whet your appetite!

If you are looking for a well-researched, well-written novel that masterfully weaves elements of history, current events, and biblical prophecy together in a manner that will keep you mesmerized until the last page, The Brotherhood Conspiracy is for you!

This review was written by and originally published at Create With Joy.

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher for review purposes. I was not compensated or required to write a positive review. The opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own. ( )
  CreateWithJoy | Jul 26, 2013 |
Title: The Brotherhood Conspiracy
Author: Terry Brennan
Pages: 360
Year: 2013
Publisher: Kregel Publications
The Brotherhood Conspiracy is the follow-up novel to The Sacred Cipher. It could be read as a standalone novel, but readers would gain greater enrichment and enjoyment if they read The Sacred Cipher first. This first novel lays the groundwork for character relationships and the story in the second novel picks up after the events picks up where the first one left off.
Tom Bohannon is home in the United States after barely surviving the adventure of a lifetime and making a discovery that changed the face of the Middle East…for a month. He has seen the Temple Mount collapse via television and begins to wonder why God would call him on such a mission as it appears to have a seeming waste of time with loss of life. Tom just wants to get back to a normal life, but then he receives a call from the President of the United States. The President wants him to find another ancient Jewish treasure to help preserve Jerusalem. Can Tom and his colleagues ignore a “request” from the President of the United States? Are they really ready for another dangerous mission so soon after the other has just ended in which they survived by the skin of their teeth?
While Tom and his friends deal with this issue in the USA, other forces in the Middle East are at work to prevent a restoration of Jerusalem. Instead of rebuilding, the Brotherhood calls for jihad. The imam in control wants revenge for what he views as Israel’s destruction of the Dome of the Rock and the Muslim temple that were on the Temple Mount. He sends men after these Americans to kill them for their interference. Israel’s leader also has his agenda he is pursuing. Who will accomplish their mission first? There is much political maneuvering and deception involved. Who can be trusted?
It was great to reconnect with these familiar characters in another adventure with dangerous consequences to the characters, their families and their countries. I liked how the author placed a subtitle heading when he changed locations; it really helped keep all the characters and the geography straight. I enjoyed the historical information presented and learned some new things. Just as in the first novel, the action, mystery and suspense kept me turning pages quickly to find out what would happen next. The story was captivating and entertaining and thoroughly enjoyable.
My rating is 5 stars.
Note: I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book. The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ . Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Jul 25, 2013 |

Tom Bohannon's discovery of an ancient scroll led him on an international adventure and through mysteries of faith and politics, ending in a place not even he could imagine: the Third Temple of God hidden under Temple Mount in Jerusalem. Wondering how to recover from such a momentous find, Tom's adventures are not over. The final days are upon them, yet no one knows how much time is left—a year? A hundred years? A thousand?

The same fast-paced, page-turning prose that readers loved in The Sacred Cipher is back in Terry Brennan's eagerly awaited sequel, The Brotherhood Conspiracy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:53 -0400)

When Tom Bohannon discovers a Third Temple of God hidden under the Temple Mount in Jerusalem, he finds himself caught between faith and politics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,460,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible