Viper (Sons of Sangue, #1) by Patricia A.…

Viper (Sons of Sangue, #1)

by Patricia A. Rasey

The Sons of Sangue have to walk a line between three worlds. They are vampires who come from the bloodline of one of the originals, Vlad III. They abide by rules of not taking blood from just anyone, only from donor’s that have agreed to provide their blood. Then there are the rules of the Motorcycle Club that they must live by. Kane is the president of the MC but often more than not he is breaking his own rules. Along with being vampires and part of a MC they must also coexists with humans without their secrets being revealed.

This story combines all three worlds in an intricate weave. The small town they live in has had three unexplained murders of young blond women. All of whom blood has been completely drained. Where the Son’s are tied in is they are all women who either Kane has been with or are his preferred type. The lead detective and her partner are sure the Sons either have knowledge of what is going on or are responsible. But things aren’t that simple. Ten years ago Cara Brahnam witnessed Kane in the throes of both feeding and having sex. The sex part didn’t bother her but she through she was crazy on the drinking blood part and left town for 10 years. Now she is back as a detective in the small town and is having to face both Kane and vampirism again. What she doesn’t realize is Kane has been just as fascinated with her as she was him.

There are plenty of side plots going on throughout from who is really killing the women and why, to the deals the MC makes with other clubs and Cara having to face facts that she is next on the killer’s list and having to depend on the one thing she has avoided for 10 years to protect her, Kane.

Even though there is some closure at the end of this book there are many threads still left open that ensure many more books to come. ( )
  CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |
I liked Cara as a heroine. Even as a detective with a tough exterior and feisty personality, she also displayed a believable vulnerability that made her seem more real. She had the respect and friendship of her work colleagues, and she was dedicated to her job. Her character could have easily tipped into the simpering, whiny female given her depressing childhood and the event that sent her fleeing town, leaving everyone and everything behind ten years ago. Another thing I liked about her was that she wasn’t afraid of communicating. In once scene, she didn’t beat around the bush when Kane asked about her ex boyfriend. I think it’s safe to say that with Cara, what you see is what you get, and I liked that straight shooter attitude.

Kane was definitely all alpha male. He kept his men in line, he usually had the last word, he was cocky as hell and dangerously sexy. He too was a man of many layers. The death of someone close to him made him lose his belief in love, and he vowed never to fall in love with a woman ever again. Once he gets entangled with Cara, all of his carefully crafted rules and vows begin to crumble one by one. Kane was another character who wasn’t afraid to speak what he was thinking. He was surprisingly forthcoming about his obsession/infatuation with Cara. As the tenuous relationship continued, he began toeing the line even more between his desire for her and his commitment to his kind.

I loved their chemistry. I did feel it, and moreover, I loved their witty and cheeky banter. They enjoyed riling one another up which led me to believe that if they ever shut up long enough to kiss, it would be exquisitely hot. I wasn’t wrong. Their first hook up was fast and furious, and wickedly sexy. It was just the sort of thing I expected of a bad boy vamp/human coupling. But every other time was dousemewithwaternow hot. The suspense portion of the story was actually decent. A lovely game of cat and mouse. Too bad I guessed the mastermind behind the plot and the reason for it 18% into the story. If anything, it served to push Cara and Kane together for the sake of her safety.

What didn’t work: 1) I couldn’t help but make connections to another vampire book: Kane referred to Cara as “Mia Bella”, there was a bitchy vampire named Rosalee, vampirism versus humanity, and the oldest and most powerful vampires resided in Italy. 2) The villain’s POV. I think the story would have survived without it. I ended up flipping past those closer towards the end. 3) Repetition. I didn’t feel it was necessary to reiterate certain points over and over throughout the story. For example: Cara replaying the scene when she first saw Kane all those years ago. Kane reminding himself why he never wiped her memory in the past, and lastly, Cara telling herself she was certifiably insane. The story also needed some editing to help with punctuation, missing words and incorrect tenses.

Overall I really enjoyed this story. I liked the pacing of it and felt that the characters had enough time to discover the essence of one another, even if a lot of it happened under stressful circumstances. The story was engaging enough to keep me interested and engaged the whole time. With better editing, this would have been a 4 or 4.5. But as it stands, I definitely think it’s worth looking into. I certainly want to continue the journey with the Sons of Sangue and can’t wait for book two.

Disclaimer: I received an ARC from the publisher for the purpose of an honest review. ( )
  MsRomanticReads | Jan 22, 2016 |
Viper

The Characters

Kane 'Viper' Tepes
Cara Brahnam

The Story

A second DNF for 2015 :-(

I only got 5% in (which I’m realizing now is only 15 pages) and I’m so bored. With my TBR pile resembling more of a mountain than a pile I’m just not interested in forcing myself to finish things that are not keeping my attention.

In what I did read I picked up on major antagonism between the hero and his twin and barely got to see the heroine at all. I don’t know what can be made of that. Oh well, I am sad it didn’t work out.

The Random Thoughts

*DNF so no rating
  bookjunkie57 | Jan 23, 2015 |
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Viper is a July 2013 release, written by Patricia Rasey and published by eXcessia. I received a DRC of this book by the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. As a teenager, Cara and her good friend Suzi, are out clubbing. When Cara steps into the ladies room, she is shocked to find a couple having sex. This may have been nothing more than a really embarrassing situation, except when the man turned to look at Cara, he had blood dripping from fangs! Cara fled Pleasant and never told a soul what she had witnessed that night. Now ten years later, Cara is back in Pleasant working as a detective. Her latest case involves the death of several women, all of which had the blood drained from their bodies. Who do you think is Cara's number one suspect? Right, you guessed it- Kane Tepes. Yes, the same Tepes from Vlad the Impaler, also known as Dracula. It seems Kane and his twin brother, Kaleb are direct descendants. Kane is the president and Kaleb the vice president of a motorcycle club, The Sons of Sangue. They are all too aware of the killings in their town and are also out to put a stop to it. When Cara and Kane come face to face again after ten years, it's intense. Kane should have erased her memory ten years ago, but for some reason he didn't, thus breaking the rule of the club. But, he is certain Cara won't tell anyone. He is also certain that Cara could be the next victim. When he insist on being Cara's bodyguard, the tension between them boils over- literally. HOT! However, Kane's brother and the other club members are not too happy about it. Not only that, but it appears an old enemy may be out for revenge against Kane, opening up deep, painful wounds for Kane. It's been a long time since a new vampire type paranormal romance has grabbed my attention. This one was a real treat. Hot alpha males in a motorcycle club, a serial killer, steamy sex, and romance with heart and emotion. I must also say, this seems sort of like an ode to the FX show "Sons of Anarchy". I LOVE that show! The author did a great job of pacing the story that kept you engaged from start to finish. The end was suspenseful and tense, but of course you know we must have out HEA. But, watch out Kaleb- your day is coming. Hopefully, in the next book of the series. This one gets a good solid A. ( )
  gpangel | Aug 21, 2013 |
Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's Pack Alpha - Michelle L. Olson

In my honest opinion, one of the better finds in reads I've encountered in awhile. Amazing characters, a great story, solidly built world and more. And seriously... What PNR reader wouldn't want a club of bad boy biker vampires, several with tragic pasts, rules that were made to be broken, taboo relationships that are all the more sexy for their forbidden nature, danger, intrigue, and more?

In Viper, we have a Vampire Motorcycle Club (the Sons of Sangue) under intense scrutiny in their small town territory after a series of murders where the victims were drained of blood. The thing is... nobody actually knows that the Sons are Vampires.

On the other side of the equation we have strong, confident and sexy Detective Cara Brahnam returning to her hometown after running far and fast when she was a teenager. After her return, she puts everything she has into catching this psycho and finds herself smack dab where she left all those years ago - face to face with the sexy (and yeah, a little scary) Kane Tepes.

The dynamic of this book was stellar - Vampire MC vs the Law, and when those bad boys mix with those feisty law enforcement females you KNOW sparks are gonna fly.

I highly recommend this book and I am super excited for the sequel to learn more about the next Son. :) ( )
  LITERALADDICTION | Aug 16, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,372,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible