Steel Lily by Megan Curd

I absolutely loved this book! I've added it to our school library and every student who has tried it-flew through it! I haven't gotten the chance to read the rest of the series but am dying to. The characters and story line were so original and once again-a gorgeous clean story! Major props to this author. I'm short on time or I would go on and on about this. Please trust me and read this book ASAP! ( )
  taradurham | Jan 8, 2016 |
I started reading STEEL LILY, mainly because I got an ARC for IRON PENDULUM. The blurb seemed interesting so I thought, why not give it a shot? Big mistake. I wasted my Saturday afternoon reading this book. I didn’t enjoy it at all. The beginning was okay and the ending was…interesting. I didn’t like anything else. I got bored of the characters–not one was interesting, they were dull. Also, it felt like Hunger Games and Divergent combined.

Why The Hunger Games? The Domes in STEEL LILY = Districts
Why Divergent? The Resistance/Alliance in STEEL LILY = Insurgents

It’s not that I don’t like Divergent or The Hunger Games because I love them. The thing is that the story reminded me of these series a lot and didn’t have anything of it’s own, aside from controlling steam.

I grew tired of the story. I forced myself to finish the book since I need to make a review for IRON PENDULUM for a blog tour.

I didn’t like this. Plain and simple. We’ll see if IRON PENDULUM is better. ( )
  GenGenBookBlog | Sep 5, 2014 |
NOTE: I received the eARC from the author.

Fan of dystopia I am not. Mostly because of the depression and hopelessness that follows everyone everywhere. Sure, I know that everyone gets saved in the end, because you know, there has to be something positive in all the devastation, but still... I usually steer clear of that lot.

But I just had to make an exception for author Megan Curd. I'd heard good things about her books, so I thought I'd give her a chance. To tell you the truth, I'm not sorry at all. It was a fluent read, well balanced in pacing, plot and character development. The story wasn't completely unique, but then there's yet for me to stumble upon a truly unique distopian novel. After all, they do talk about a destroyed world, where a tiny number of survivors are trying to hang on to dear life.

Yet, there was originality that I really came to like. Since the world as we know it ended in a nuclear war, there was radiation everywhere. This radiation is the reason why some people have developed certain abilities - mostly they have to do with controlling the elements. The more powerful the elementalist, the more sought after. In the beginning, right after the war, seven domes were erected to save the population of the U.S. Of all seven, only one remains, or so everyone's been told. Why? Well, that's the million dollar question, isn't it? And I'm not telling. If you're curious, you better go read the book for yourself.

Let's move on to the characters.

Avery is the POV of this story. She's the strongest elementalist in Dome 4(I hope I'm not wrong), who could create the life sustaining steam which everything in the dome operates on. Think electricity, food production, clean water supplies, uncontaminated air, protection from the outside world... you name it, it runs on steam. And there's only three people supplying steam, one of whom is Avery. Despite the value of her ability though, there are only a couple of people who actually care about her - her best friend Alice, and a boy everyone calls Legs. Avery is supposed to be protected by the Dome's government, but all she gets is blackmail, ridicule, hatred and the like. Which is why she's so eager to escape the place, hoping there's salvation somewhere outside.

I don't exactly know how it happens that the villain always knows when the protagonist is at his/her weakest and attacks, but that's how it happens here as well. Except, the villain here isn't acting like one and we, along with the protagonist are led to believe the villain is actually the savior. I'm not really surprised, since that's how it is in real life too.

The other lead character was Jaxon. Son of the heartless villain, who is a sweetheart behind the wall of sarcasm. I can't say I liked Jaxon right away. I'm not into the cocky bad boy type, so that's no surprise. When his armor or rudeness and sarcasm started slipping away though... I couldn't not like him. He had a bleeding heart that wouldn't really take on mending. His wounds go way down and I can't even begin to tell you how sad and sick it made me to read about the things done to him. That he's still standing firm and fighting is a miracle of its own.

Alice was the cheerful friend, the ever optimist, the person who never saw the gray and black. I thought she was a bit foolish to see only pink in a destroyed world. But then again, I believe in a group of people there must be one to keep the spirits up at all times.

Xander was difficult to decipher. He was suspicious in a very subtle way, but still kept me guessing his intentions until the very end.

In conclusion, I'd like to say that Steel Lily is a quick read with an interesting plot. If you're into dystopian novels, you'd probably like it. ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
Steel Lily is FANTASTIC!!!! It's definitely one of my top 3 YA reads of the year! It's a unique mix of steampunk and dystopian and totally captivating! It's one of those books you wish you could unread, just so you can reread it for the first time again! The writing, plot, romance, characters.. everything really was perfect. There isn't one thing I would change about this book!

So, I am totally in LOVE with Jaxon. He is your atypical yet swoonworthy boy. He has dreadlocks and is overly full of himself. Here's one of my favorite scenes from him:

Are you finished checking me out? If you're not, that's okay; I allow every new woman I meet a free five-minute gawking period. After that, it'll cost you."

Blood rushed to my face. I tore my eyes from his magnetic gaze and watched as he pulled back his dredlocks, deep brown streaked with blonde, into a strap. His devilish grin pulled his eyes tight at the corners. He was trouble incarnate.

Trouble that I may very well want to get into, given the right circumstances.

"You're at five minutes and thirty seconds now," he said in a purr as he moved toward me. He leaned in, and I felt his breath against my cheek. My heart raced. "I'm going to start taking payment, and I choose how that payment is issued."

Megan Curd is a fabulous writer, I was awed at the ease in which she introduces us to her dystopian world. The element of steampunk and the fantasy of the elemental powers was intriguing. She's witty and can write a darn good steamy kiss. This book.. mark my word.. will be popular. There's no way it couldn't be, it's wonderful. After reading Steel Lily I know I will read anything and everything Megan Curd!

Summary
I totally don't want to give too much away about the plot because I want you to be surprised. So here's the essentials..

Since her parents disappearance, Avery has been used to provide fuel for the Dome she's been living in. That is, until a mysterious person offers her answers to the questions she's had since they left. Avery and her Alice are pondering his invitation for answers, when danger comes knocking on their door. They are saved by the very handsome and cocky Jaxon, the son of the mysterious man. They are swept away to safety, but safety may just be an illusion. Lies, deceit, and love.. Avery finds that not all answers are worth learning. ( )
  asgwilli | Dec 2, 2013 |
Originally Posted at: RJ DOES BOOKS!

STEEL LILY was a fascinating novel. As someone who has had very little exposure to "Steam Punk" before, but have had a fair share of dystopian in past few years, I can say that it was an intriguing take on an already familiar premise. At times it merged a bit of The Hunger Games-esque factioned off world with a character who possessed an elemental gift, who is far surpassed others of her kind, and is seeking a way out. An alternative life, if you will. Now again, there are other books with similar elements however Steel Lily still manages to hold its own weight.

One of the greatest things about this well rounded and noticeably well thought-out novel is the character development. Each character such as Jaxon and Avery, or Avery's friend Alice and more had their own unique identities that didn't seem to get muddled as I've seen in a few books lately. Often times character development is ignored or not really focused on which leads to flat characters, but Megan Curd has managed to avoid this by creating distinguishable and likeable characters.

I do wish that there was a bit more "tension" between Avery and Jaxon only because I eat that stuff up with a side of ranch! (I love it!) And there were a few parts that may have taken a while to develop or seemed to brisk through, however this is entirely understandable as this is the first novel in the series and such is to be expected when setting up the world/history.

Steel Lily has humor, action and romance all wrapped up in an alluring, yet dangerous world. Definitely worth a read!

** I would like to thank MEGAN CURD for providing me with a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  RJGonzales | Nov 10, 2013 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,063,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible