Mine to Tarnish by Janeal Falor
202515,329 (3.25)None

NOTE: I received the eARC from the author in exchange for my honest review.

I was intrigued and captivated by Falor's world in You Are Mine, the first book of the Mine series. Everything was new, original and incredibly well written, that I just had to have my hands on Mine to Tarnish as well.

Mine to Tarnish tells the story of Katherine, the fake-tarnished seamstress we met first in You Are Mine. Like every girl in the world of Chardonia, Katherine is worth little more than the magic in her blood. The more magic she has, the more her father could sell her for.

Again the theme of female slavery, obedience and dependance is the main one here. A female is never worth much in and of herself. She has no freedom of choice, of voice, to laugh, to think, to even see the world outside of her house. Gosh, can you really imagine what that's like? I sure can't, nor do I want to. Our society is used to free, independent women doing whatever they could possibly want. But the women in Chardonia have no such luck.

I believe Falor is a great writer in the making. She has talent and a new, fresh vision that could surely benefit us all. ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
Although short MINE TO TARNISH had not problem pulling me in and making me feel invested in the characters. The whole world that Janeal introduces us to interested me. The people, the setting, the story of what the woman go through and what some are willing to do to escape their situations. I cant wait to read more.

* This book was provided free of charge from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Dec 13, 2013 |

Katherine’s place is the same as any woman’s—on the shelf next to the dresses and bolts of cloth. When she’s sold to a warlock, life grows even bleaker. Her new owner is as old and rancid as he is cruel, driving her to do the unthinkable: run.

Nothing prepared her for being on her own. And she’s definitely unprepared for the warlocks hunting her down. But she must stay one step ahead because if caught, the best she can hope for is death.

[retrieved 12/9/2014 from Amazon.com]

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,747,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible