#scandal by Sarah Ockler

#scandal

by Sarah Ockler

Insgesamt kann ich #Skandal nur durchschnittlich bewerten. Es hatte einige positive Punkte und Momente, wie einige Figuren, der Schreibstil und die verrückten, kleinen Details. Auch das Thema ist gut gewählt und brisant. Aber die Umsetzung konnte mich dann nicht ganz überzeugen. Es fehlte an Klarheit, Struktur und der Tiefe und dem Ernst, die das Thema Cybermobbing verdient hätte. ( )
  Lovelymixblog | Jan 14, 2017 |
I enjoyed #scandal. It definitely opens your eyes about the consequences of what you post to social media.

Lucy is just trying to do her friend a favor, and keep her feelings hidden. She wants to get prom over with, and go slay some zombies. I like the fact that Lucy is really laid back. She’s able to make fun of herself, and does it pretty frequently. She also has strong emotions. Even though she wants Cole, she tries to tamp those feelings down to make her BFF happy. Her friends Ellie and Griffin pretty much suck. I don’t care what happens when you need your friends they are supposed to be there. I liked Cole well enough, he wasn’t a favorite of mine. But I loved Franklin. He’s smart, witty, sweet, and a decent guy.

The pacing is pretty steady. There were a few parts that I was a little bored with, but overall I liked the storyline. There are soooo many people keeping secrets that it’s a wonder they haven’t been found out before. The only thing I didn’t care for was all the angst. There was a lot of it. I don’t think I was that bad as a teen. But I may have been. While trying to find out who posted the pictures to Facebook, Lucy sees what it means to have friends, and sometimes people aren’t what they may seem.

If you want a sort of “who dunnit” with interesting characters this is a good book for you. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
The main focus at first kind of seems like it’s about the romance between Lucy and her best friends boyfriend, Cole. After the initial “betrayal” it becomes primarily about the use of social media to cyber bully. Combined with regular bullying. It’s actually really scary to think about. As someone who was bullied as a kid without the wonderful world of the internet. I can’t even imagine what it’s like in todays world. The idea that someone can create a fan page dedicated to their dislike of you and have other people comment on it is crazy. It was also interesting to take a step back and see how the principal, the parents and other fellow students deal with the going ons.

Even though it becomes more of a background issue I really liked the situation that Lucy, Cole and Ellie have to deal with it. I mean this is something that not only teenagers deal with but also adults. What do you do when you think the person you belong with his with your best friend. I think it’s something that test your faith in love/destiny/fate and also friendship. I did wish there could have been a little more of the romance mixed in.

As Lucy begins to investigate who the really perp is in order to clear her name. She finds more than what she is looking for and by the end she realizes that it’s not really important how people see you in high school. It’s more about how you see yourself. Lucy goes from blaming everyone for what she considers a life ending scandal to realizing that she let facts she should be sharing and standing up for herself slip away.

I really like the dialogue in #Scandal because it often times made me laugh out loud. It’s just funny and witty. It really sets the scene for the high school vibe.

There are many characters that float through #Scandal, some we get to know better than others. Rather than Lucy and Cole being the leads, I felt like it was more of Lucy and her sister Jayla. They are really the two we get to know the most intimately. Ellie and Cole while there and we interact with them, I felt like we get to know them more through Lucy’s memories that involve them. Franklin and Griffin also play carry a little larger roles. I like that some of the side characters have their own issues that they need to deal with as well.

The pacing of the book is good. I never felt like things were moving too slowly or bored. I thought the different developments were interesting. Even though finding out who really uploaded the pictures was a big part of the intrigue I liked the other things going on as well.

I want to say #scandal is a fun read but the topic that it deals with really is not. With the funny dialogue it helps to lighten the mood and I liked how there were different underlying themes that Lucy deals with. I enjoyed it and it’s a good book for a summer reading list.
  JenWitch | Jun 30, 2014 |
#Scandal by Sarah Ockler tells the story of high school senior Lucy Vaccaro as she tries to survive her last few days of high school. Since freshman year, Lucy has been in love with her best friend's boyfriend. When she catches bird flu the day before prom, she asks Lucy to be his date. At the party, they get caught up in the spirit of prom and kiss. However, someone photographs the tender moment and posts it on her Facebook page, along with several other incriminating photos.

I had mixed feelings about this book, so I'm gonna list the pros and cons.
First of all, I was really happy with the overall message of the book. It addressed issues of feminism, covering topics on how misogyny is self-perpetuated by girls who bash and slut-shame each other. It talks about the poisonous atmosphere of social media and how anonymity empowers. Also, I liked the fact that Lucy's character compares her predicament to the zombie video game she constantly plays. I feel like this is a very realistic coping mechanism-type thing, and it added some humanity and authenticity to an otherwise dull character.

Now on to the cons! Although I agreed with the message the boom was trying to convey, I felt like the execution was quite forced. I feel like these subjects of the bashing should be underlying themes. This book would have been better as an allegory for feminism. Instead, the author writes her points into the dialogue. At one point, one of the characters directly talks about the patriarchy and overdrama, and I feel like that detracted from the theme. Also the plot seems forced. A pass code on Lucy's phone would have toppled the whole story. Just saying.... The perpetrator would not have been able to take pictures and upload them to the internet if the phone was password protected. I would have liked to see some extra detail that reenforced the story. I feel like the whole book hangs on a thread because of this.

Overall, this book was an amusing and quick read, although confusing at times. Lucy's character could be rather infuriating at times, but I feel like her story is relatable. I recommend this book only to people who don't have much on their TBR and are looking for a contemporary novel with some sort of underlying message.

My overall rating: B- ( )
  marielreads | Jun 20, 2014 |

When pictures of Lucy kissing her best friend's boyfriend emerge on the world of social media, she becomes a social pariah after the scandal rocks the school.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,145,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible