The Young Elites by Marie Lu

The Young Elites

by Marie Lu

Big thanks to goodreads and the publisher for a free copy of this book!

I hadn't read any of Marie Lu's books before. She's been on my to-read list forever (thank you We Need Diverse Books campaign!), and wow.

Wow. Am I ever glad I've finally read something by her, because the Young Elites is a phenomenal book. And that's saying something, because YA fantasy doesn't usually do much for me.

I loved the setting -- so lush, gorgeous, and ultimately real-feeling. I loved the characters, especially Adelina, who is awesome and kickass and sometimes really frustrating but always wonderfully complex. I love the dynamics between the characters, especially Adelina and Raffaele (I'm not big on romantic subplots, so the fact that there is also a platonic relationship that figures prominently in this book? That makes me so happy). And the book itself is well-written too -- vivid descriptions and amazing plot twists/OH NO moments.

Honestly, the only reasons this doesn't get five stars and my undying love are a) I'm stingy with stars on goodreads and b) I got hung up on the shifting hair colour aspects of the blood plague.

But really. This was amazing. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to haunt my local Indigo until the next book comes out. ( )
  bucketofrhymes | Dec 13, 2017 |
Marie Lu has a real talent for worldbuilding. She has indeed quickly become one of my favorite YA authors (I've been neglecting my reviews since starting to use the library to read from - but I will be catching up). I haven't yet started the second book in this series, as there was a waiting list I just got to the top of, but you can be sure I definitely added my name to the list immediately. The characters are compelling, the ending shocking, and the storyline deeply engaging. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Nov 14, 2017 |
*Copy From Blog Step Into A Book World*

“SOME HATE US, THINK US OUTLAWS TO HANG AT THE GALLOWS.
SOME FEAR US, THINK DEMONS TO BURN AT THE STAKE,
SOME WORSHIP US, THINK US CHILDREN OF THE GODS.
BUT ALL KNOW US”

-UNKNOWN SOURCE ON THE YOUNG ELITES

O.M.G this book was marvelous, twisted, dark, and a wonderful addition to all things Marie Lu. Adelina may have become one of my favorite characters. Marie Lu just keeps surprising me every time I pick up one of her books.

The story mostly follows Adelina Amouteru whom is 16 years old survivor of the fever that spread though her world killing half of the people. Strangely the only survivors of the fever were children but when they awoke from it they had usual side-effects. One child that woke up had golden hair that turn black, while another woke with scars running down his face without being touch. Adeline awoke from the fever to find that her hair not only turn silver but that she had lost an eye. These children were called marked also known as Malfettos.

The most interesting side-effect was that some of these rare children got powers not of this world such as, the ability to conjure fire, call on the wind, disappear, and kill in a blink of an eye. These were the Malfettos that the people fear and are called the Young Elites. The most famous Elites are The Reaper, Magino, Windwalker, and the Alchemist. The Inquisition Axis which is basically the police want them all dead and will do everything to rid the world of what they call abominations.

“How many times have you been called an abomination?” he whispers. “A monster? Worthless?”
Too many times.”

Adelina a very complex character who I admit did freak me out a little in the beginning I think it was the darkness that surrounded her and the dark thoughts. Once it started to explain where the darkness, hate, and distrust of people around her came from I began to understand why Adelina is the way she is. This is when I started to fall in love with Adelina character and root as battled with the decent side of herself and the side that would burn the whole world down just to watch the people scream.

Reason one for that darkness is her douche father whom believes she is a an abomination, ruining their family’s good name and standing in the way of their fortune. He is broke and no one wants to deal trade with him because they consider him bad luck because he has a daughter who is marked, so he takes it out on Adelina telling her no one will ever love her because she is a Malfetto.

Through a series of events I can’t tell you about because well spoilers Adelina meets Enzo Valenciano who is a member of the Dagger Society which is this group of special young elites who have extremely unusual powers and are a total secret to everyone. Enzo looks for other like him and save them from being killed by the Inquisition Axis. Enzo is one of few people who understands what Adelina is going through and want to help her fight for the freedom of all those who have wrong her.

“So. Tell me little wolf. Do you want to punish those who have wronged you?”

Enzo was my favorite character off the bat. He was a total bad-ass who had a cocky attitude when in the face of danger. He’s a skilled fighter and he knows it. He also has a secret that he carries around that will impact the whole story.

“Embellish your flaws” He says softly. “They will turn into your assets. And you will become one of us, I will teach you to wield them like and assassin wields a knife.””

Now on to Teren was an interesting character who is the head Inquisition Axis in charge of killing all of the Elites. He actually believes he is saving the Malfetto’s soul when he kills them. Believes that they will be forgiven and saved. It was one of the situation where I was conflicted on whether to hate him or feel sorry for him. I keep imagining him look at them as he killed them saying Sorry, Not Sorry.

“I will find you all. I will use everything in my power to save your souls. I was born to destroy you.” -Tern

Wrap-Up

All in all I loved the darkness of this story and the characters. I want to know more about this world and the Young Elites I have yet to meet. The couple different POV’s in this story was interesting. I am glad that they are tied in nicely to the story to where it didn’t get confusing and the characters didn’t overshadow each other. I can’t wait to start Rose Society.

Also: I am I only one who wanting Enzo and Raffaele to be lovers?! I cried when Enzo die and threw my poor Kindle. ( )
  stepintoabookworld | Nov 7, 2017 |
3.5 stars ( )
  christiestar | Oct 23, 2017 |
once again, Marie Lu has hit it on the head with her world spinning. i just loved every second of this book, of being sucked into the world of Kenettra and the malfettos, the Young Elites and the Inqusition. i loved Adelina and Enzo, loved the story of the girl wrestling with the darkness inside her and how to tame it. LOVE LOVE LOVE.
  ohkamikaze | Sep 21, 2017 |

"Adelina Amouteru survived the blood fever, a deadly illness that killed many, but left others with strange markings and supernatural powers. Cast out by her family, Adelina joins the secret society of the Young Elites and discovers her own dangerous abilities"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,584,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible