Slow Cooker Revolution Volume 2 by Editors…

Slow Cooker Revolution Volume 2

by Editors at America's Test Kitchen

A second volume of recipes for the slow-cooker, this collection focusing on easy/short prep times (max of 15 minutes) to get all ingredients into the cooker.

The color photography is terrific, the ingredient lists and instructions are clear. I marked a couple dozen recipes to try this summer when I want to avoid the hot oven. And what I always like best about America’s Test Kitchen books are the technique tips, the product comparisons/recommendations and the science-y deconstructions of the recipes. ( )
  DetailMuse | Jun 28, 2016 |
WAY better than volume 1!! ( )
  SaraMSLIS | Jan 30, 2016 |
Another great cookbook from America's Test Kitchen. They had great recipes in their first volume of slow cooker recipes, but those recipes didn't seem to save me time very often. In this book the recipes really are super easy--just dump the ingredients in the crock pot and a few hours later you have a fabulous meal. I cook out of this book at least once a week and it hasn't let me down yet. ( )
  nicole_a_davis | Mar 4, 2014 |
Those who cook would surely agree that cooking is both an art and a science. "The Slow Cooker Revolution" is cooking as a science. America's Test Kitchen approaches food preparation with methodical, scientific method that pleases many readers - and palates. Their recipes and kitchen tips are, overall, both dependable and interesting.

However, the world of slow cooker books is fraught with pitfalls. Many busy cooks would like to toss a few ingredients into a slow cooker, leave the house, and return later to a nutritious and tasty entree. But it's not that easy. Ingredients are often precooked to get help them meld in the pot; others must be sliced or diced or placed on the bottom layer or the top; some are often added later. And cooking times sometimes vary when foods cook faster or slower than expected.

So most slow cooker cookbooks are a compromise between method and result. Lynn Alley has written what is in my opinion one of the best slow cooker books available - The Gourmet Slow Cooker, volumes 1 and 2. Her recipes often require prep work - browning, sauteing, dicing - but the end result is usually delicious. But Ms Alley's book is a disappointment for those looking to toss and go.

"The Slow Cooker Revolution: Volume 2: The Easy Prep Edition" is of course aimed at these busy cooks. And it generally achieves its aim. Rather than sauteing, cooks can microwave. Flavor boosters added at the end of cooking can save a bland recipe (see the Farmhouse Chicken Casserole to see how Boursin can save the day). Timing can vary depending on the setting.

Unfortunately, while dinner will be done in six to eight hours, my family at least wasn't impressed with the taste. Our chili with its microwaved onions had only half-cooked onions and over-cooked ground beef.

Further, timing is an issue. Most recipes cook in six to eight hours and many slow cookers will hold them on 'warm' after the allotted time. I can work within these parameters on the days I'm home enough in the day and plan to return before my warmed slow cooker meal has the 'been on the buffet table too long' taste, but many busy cooks can't. So that limits the usefulness to weekends and half days.

This may well be the best slow cooker book out there for cooks too busy for prep, but it's not one for those seeking a gourmet taste.

Perhaps what the world really needs is a better slow cooker (along with World Peace and a 20 calorie candy bar).

[A free advance review copy of this book was provided by the publisher.] ( )
  dianaleez | Nov 7, 2013 |

Presents a collection of recipes prepared in a slow cooker, including appetizers, soups, stews, chicken dishes, steaks, roasts, pasta and pasta sauces, vegetarian dishes, side dishes, and desserts.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,982,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible