You Make Me Smile by Layn Marlow

You Make Me Smile

by Layn Marlow

Overall, I liked this story. I think my favorite part was the illustrations. I'm a visual learner, so I become absorbed into picture books by the illustrations. The illustrations in this story look like they are made from a combination of paint and colored pencil, which look really nice together. The illustrations also do a great job of helping tell the story, so I could definitely see myself using this as a writing activity of having my students write their own story based off the illustration I show them as a form of prediction. I also liked the story because I thought the message was cute. The story centered around building a snowman and how that's a special thing that only happens in the winter, so the overall message was that special things are always worth the wait. It's a nice way to teach students about patience and get them thinking of special things that only happen a few times a year. I would recommend this book for students in pre-k through first grade because it is definitely a very quick and easy book to read. There are only a few words on each page, which makes it very easy to comprehend. ( )
  kbork1 | Feb 28, 2015 |

Today has something special in store—the first snow! The day begins with gray skies and a chill in the air, but soon soft blankets of white cover everything in sight. Hooray! With a warm hat and scarf, it's time to get out of the house and into the bright, white world.

Soft illustrations follow a rosy-cheeked girl through the steps of building a charming snowman. His radish-red nose, shiny black eyes, and perfect smile will warm the hearts of readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:01 -0400)

A little girl rushes out into the first snow of the year, filled with wonder, and builds a friend.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,760,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible