Boy Meets Dog: A Word Game Adventure by…

Boy Meets Dog: A Word Game Adventure

by Valerie Wyatt

"Boy Meets Dog" is an excellent book to have fun with word work and word latters in the classroom. The illustrations are well done and make the book fun to share with a young audience. This book would be great as an interactive read aloud to get students thinking about what letter sounds are changing and what each word becomes as a letter is changed. ( )
  jgum | Jan 14, 2016 |
Fun with word ladders. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
A fun book of word play. The reader is able to explore how one word becomes another with the simple change of a letter. This adventure book takes spelling to whole new level as the main character a boy and his dog encounters various adventures based upon word play/

This is great book to share with students learning sight words and early vocabulary. The illustrations of this book allows the reader to observe how a word is changed and has a new meaning with one change of a letter. ( )
  mcnicol_08 | Apr 27, 2015 |
Boy meets Dog is a game waiting to happen --in the home of the classroom. Here's the premise: Changing one letter in a word turns one word into another word. (toy becomes boy). Okay, so that's simple. Once you've read a few pages: "A cat could become a dog.
cat
cot
cog
dog
And once listeners see the pattern, challenge them before reading the page who can make push become pull, a bus become car and so forth. I bet this will prove a lot harder than it seems when you're looking at the page, but I can see kids rising to the challenge. Make it competitive between table groups in a classroom or library and that ups the motivation of the challenge. So try it! ( )
  pataustin | Sep 7, 2014 |
I received this book for review purposes from Edelweiss. This in no way influenced my review.
I love the learning potential of this book! I love how the word game became a story. I would definitely recommend this for children! ( )
  blog_gal | Jul 26, 2014 |

Explores how language can change when one letter of a word is replaced with another, and a toy becomes a boy, a mouse becomes a moose, and light becomes night.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,423,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible