Ling & Ting Share a Birthday by Grace Lin

Ling & Ting Share a Birthday

by Grace Lin

Ling and Ting, the twin sisters who first appeared in Ling & Ting: Not Exactly the Same, return in this second collection of stories devoted to their adventures, this time experiencing the many joys of their shared birthday. Whether it be exchanging the shoes given to them as birthday presents, so that they each have one red and one green shoes, or splitting the cake made by Ling, when Ting's effort in that vein proves unsuccessful, these sisters share a close and loving bond, despite their small differences. In the end, both are glad to share a birthday with the other...

With its heartwarming tale of two siblings who share (almost) everything, and its charming stylized illustrations, Ling and Ting Share a Birthday is a worthy follow-up to the first volume about these two sisters. I got a chuckle out of the second story, in which Ling and Ting buy one another birthday gifts, each selecting something they themselves want, in the hopes that their twin will share it with them. The artwork, done in gouache on watercolor paper, and inspired by 1950s children's textbook illustrations, was colorful and appealing. Recommended to beginning readers looking for entertaining titles, as well as to any fans of these characters' first book. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jul 29, 2016 |
This book is great for one of the first chapter books that a child would read. The chapters are different parts of the story. Each chapter has its own theme. They book has them broken up into parts of a celebrating a birthday. For example,there was one about birthday shoes. The author is very descriptive about the characters and what they are doing in each chapter. The characters were very believable. They are a set of twins that go on different adventures. The illustrations really had the audience imagine that they were in the story with them. The book pushes the readers to think about their birthday. The author wants you to think back to when you were throwing a birthday party or attended one.
  estarr3 | Apr 4, 2016 |
Ting and Ling share a birthday because they are twins. Each has differences from (and similarities to) the other. Each buys one a birthday present and hopes the other will share it with her. They each bake a birthday cake, and one is ruined and the other turns out fine. A good book for twins and for early readers. ( )
  Librarian09 | Mar 21, 2016 |
As charming as the first book featuring these adorable twins. ( )
1 vote Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
This was an interesting story. It is a great story to use when discussing how to share and things that are the same. Ling and Ting share everything. The author uses the word share instead of have many instances in the story. For example, one of the girls says, “We will share the birthday shoes!” These girls take pride in sharing the same things and looking similar. They share something every page of the story from birthday cakes to birthday presents. I think that is an important message to share to the readers. It shows them that sharing is a natural thing and that these girls truly enjoy when both of them are happy and not just one of them. One device the author uses in this book is repetition. A common phrase that is repeated is, “They share the same…” This helps readers know what is coming next. After a few pages, the reader will understand what the author is saying and will know when they see those words strung together they know what to say. When I picked this story, I did not expect to be reading about sharing. I thought it would be a fun book about a birthday party. One thing I enjoyed about this book was that it was a beginning chapter book. It still had pictures and words, but it had 6 different stories, or chapters. I thought this would be fun for readers who want to move on to a chapter book, but are still not ready.
Although I thought this story was a little strange, I thought the main message of sharing was extremely important. I think that nowadays, the idea of sharing has been skewed and isn't as present as it should be. While I did not love this book as a reader, I think it would be good for some readers to read. ( )
  AnneJohnson | Mar 3, 2015 |

Ling & Ting are twins. They share a birthday. They bake cakes, and they make birthday wishes. They tell stories and wrap gifts. They also share a birthday secret!

Have fun with Ling and Ting! They stick together and look alike. But they are not exactly the same.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:27 -0400)

"Identical twins Ling and Ting celebrate their birthday by sharing gifts and making wishes"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,409,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible