Promise of Shadows by Justina Ireland

Promise of Shadows

by Justina Ireland

A fantasy YA novel about a young creature that goes on a journey of self-discovery and an epic battle climax. I had fun with this mix of Greek Mythology and magic and grrrl adventure. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
Awesome

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Promise of Shadows was a very unique read. It was slow in the beginning. The world and mythology was a lot to take in at first, and keeping everything straight was a little overwhelming. But the main character, Zephyr, was an awesome one. She's a very determined, powerful girl but aware of her own flaws. It's also great to have two hot guys but no love triangle. Super refreshing.

I don't have too much else to say about this mythology-inclined book. If you, like me, are a fellow lover of mythology - you'll love this book. It's filled with bad gods, harpies, and darkness. ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
Do you love moody boys and Greek Mythology? Then Promise of Shadows may be just the young adult book for you. Personally, I could do without moody boys, I'm moody enough on my own as it is. As for Greek Mythology, I admit I know nothing of it other than what I learned watching the TV shows Xena and Hercules in my younger years. Yeah, that's right I watched them, what of it!? But I always get a kick out of reading books that might possibly make me feel 'clued in.'

I do think if I would have been more familiar with Greek Mythology I might have enjoyed it more. For some reason I felt as if some of the novelty of the book was lost on me. It was still enjoyable but at points I found myself wishing that all the names of the characters referencing Greek mythology could have been scrapped and different names used instead. That way I wouldn't have felt the desire to go look up the basics of each new greek figure that came into play.

So hence I say, if you're a Greek mythology lover this might be a perfect fit. But then how do I really know because I couldn't tell you if any of the references are accurate - but I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt. *smile* I really dug Tartarus, give me more time in Hell anytime I say...but then I like creepy things.

The characters were good but I never felt overly attached to them. I liked the opening chapters with Zephyr and Cass. And the pompous attitude of the gods was spot on. However, there were times I felt like either the characters or descriptions were contrary to what I'd been led to believe, as well as some descriptors were overly used.

One point in particular that didn't tickle my fancy was the use of the "moody boy" trope. This is just a personal preference as I've never been fond of scenarios with the moody or bad boy who still ends up with the girl falling for him. Does it happen in real life!? Yes! So it works, it just doesn't strike a sweet spot for me.

Promise of Shadows if broken into thirds slows down considerably the entire center portion. It was by no means empty of content, there was definite character building, connecting, things being revealed etc. I just felt like I was wanting during that portion, as if I was slogging through towards the end which picked things up a bunch and ended on a good note. If the premise intrigues you give it a shot, it was definitely an ok read. ( )
  Pabkins | May 2, 2014 |
Ms. Ireland takes the traditional Greek myths and shakes them up ever so slightly to create a story that is different and exciting. All of the key components remain – the mythical beasts, the gods and goddesses, the lesser gods, the monsters. It is their relationships to one another that are so interesting and unique. Their source of power is also quite fascinating in the fact that she ties into the perpetual fight between darkness and light. This world of half-gods and Exalted is unfamiliar enough to require some adjustment time, but any discomfort about the foreign elements fades quickly as readers become vested in Zephyr’s fate.

Zephyr’s voice is refreshingly honest. She speaks with enough slang to fit her age without going overboard and seeming like a foreign language. More important, her cadence is perfect; her exclamations and pauses are very realistic. Her inner and external dialogue is like listening to one’s own teenage daughter. She earns a reader’s sympathy without making one cringe with too much angst-ridden whining. The limited amount of teen-speak makes Promise of Shadows a perfect candidate for cross- over into the adult realm.

Another delightful twist is how matter-of-fact all of the characters are. It rains excrement in Tartarus, and no one bats an eye. Later, one character turns into a full-fledged dragon like it’s no big deal. The discussions, taken out of context, are laughable, but Ms. Ireland makes it all just the way things are in Zephyr’s life. Everything is so plausible and perfectly normal. Yet, there is the slightest hint of snark throughout the story specifically because all of the magical beings and mythical power struggles treated as ordinary. The very lack of reaction by the characters is a nod to the absurdity of it all, which adds another bit of humor to the entire fare.

With Promise of Shadows, Ms. Ireland plays with Greek mythology to create something other than a battle against Zeus and the other gods of Olympus. The darkness of the Underworld takes on a different hue as a very sympathetic Zephyr grows into her powers. The attraction between Tallon and Zephyr is adorable albeit predictable. Overall, it is a very satisfying story that hints at more to come. Given how cute Zephyr is in her awkwardness and how enjoyable the entire story is, one can only hope that is not the last we will see of Zephyr. ( )
  jmchshannon | Mar 6, 2014 |

As a human/god offspring, Zephyr Mourning is destined for a life of servitude but when she uses a forbidden dark power to kill the minor god who murdered her sister she is sent to Tartarus, where she discovers that she may be the Nyx, a dark goddess prophesied to change the balance of power.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,966,157 books! | Top bar: Always visible