Mentats of Dune by Brian Herbert

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.tumblr.com by express permission of this reviewer. Title: Mentats of Dune Series: Dune Author: Kevin Anderson & Brian Herbert Rating: 2 of 5 Stars Genre: SFF Pages: 448 Synopsis: A direct sequel to Sisterhood of Dune. The Mentats are truly coming into their own while placed between the battles of the Anti-Technologist Jihadis and Venport and his newly birthed Spacing Guild. At the same time Vorian Atreides is whining and whinging his way across the universe trying to make up with his several generations removed family. And the despicable Harkonnens set in motion the feud that will consume both families. And lots of other bits and bobs. My Thoughts: This book got the "trash" tag. Not because the grammar or writing was crap, but because Anderson and Herbert are so small minded that they can't write anything in the Dune Universe without ruining it with their banality. I've read all the sequels/prequels and forgiven this Duo quite a bit, but this was just crap. Many, many instances of something about to happen, chapter ends, then the aftermath 2-3 chapters later, while the actual event isn't written about. It was a deliberate choice, but it was a poor choice and made them look like the posers they are. I am a big Frank Herbert Dune fan. Which is why I judge these more harshly than if they were just some random SFF books. These are money makers and it shows. And as I've said before, these 2 authors don't even make one half of the writer that Frank Herbert was. Not recommended. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I enjoy the story line, but the frequent repetition of background facts and principles really wear on me after a while. ( )
  Vinculus | Jul 20, 2016 |
This was much better than "Sisterhood of Dune," but it is difficult to relate to so many hard-headed, extremist, one-dimensional characters who largely act irrationally all the time. ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
As readable as previous Herbert/Anderson conglomerations, this entry once again makes me wonder how many tales this duo can wring from papa's glorious Duniverse. While there are many diehards who continually pick up each new story and rip it to shreds, I really enjoy each new book. I found the descriptions of the trials that the Sisterhood and the Mentats (led by Mother Raquella and Gilbertus Albans, respectively) endured and had to overcome just to survive very enjoyable. How Directeur Venport had to fight the anti-technology zealot Torondo, and ultimately the Emperor himself, just to preserve his spice-gathering operations on Arrakis made for great story telling. My only criticism is the role of Vor Atriedes, who, while he had a tie in with the evil Sister Valya Harkkonen, was somewhat underused and underdeveloped within the context of this particular story. I can only assume here that the authors are relying on previous material to flesh out Atriedes here, a la Robert Jordan. ( )
  utbw42 | Apr 16, 2014 |

Brian Herbertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kevin J. Andersonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jan, whose beauty and intelligence continue to dazzle me.
My life began when I met you.

-------------BRIAN HERBERT
For Rebecca, who continues to explore exotic and exciting new places and
ideas with me, and there are still countless new universes to imagine.

------------------KEVIN J. ANDERSON

The Mentats led by Gilbertus Albans, the Navigators created by Josef Venport, and the Sisterhood rebuilt by Mother Superior Raquella all strive to improve the human race, but each group knows that as Butlerian fanaticism grows stronger, the battle will be to choose the path of humanity's future -- whether to embrace civilization, or to plunge into an endless dark age.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,121,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible