East of West, Volume 1: The Promise by…

East of West, Volume 1: The Promise

by Jonathan Hickman

I was more interested in the (unrelated)backstory of the world then in the story they were telling. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
"You come face to face with love, and before the sun sets, you've become someone you didn't used to be."

If you like some violence and epic world building with your graphic novels, this is a must read.

Yeah, I'm hooked. Loved the world building! Apocalypse cometh and the turning of the tide arrives with the Four Housemen. The story begins with the rebirth of Conquest, Famine, and War... But Death is nowhere to be found. While they were being reborn, he stayed alive for his own purposes. Now, both groups are making moves in a game that will either avert the coming End Times, or hasten them.

There were a few places I might have liked a bit more explanation (about the different nations for example) but on the whole, I ate East of West like it was candy. There is just something about a good prophecy that draws me in every time. And the artwork was lovely. I say that even about the death and gore parts. Good art is good art, and this art came with a crack-tastic story.

Seriously, I got shivers when reading the splash page that read "She lasted longer than you will."

I want to read the next one NOW, damnit. I believe that the story has come out in single form, but I'm going to wait for Vol 2. Or try to, at least. Yeah, we'll see how long that lasts.

ARC courtesy of Diamond Book Distributors, via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
This is very, very, very cool. I want more immediately! ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about East of West. At the beginning I almost stopped, and halfway through, although it did suck me in, I was still as confused as ever. There are a few story lines going on, and it may just be my novice status as a graphic novel reader, but I found them hard to follow at times. With that being said, the story does hold your interest and I think the drawings definitely capture the tone and mood of the plot perfectly. ( )
  Kristymk18 | May 24, 2016 |
Disturbing and 100% original. ( )
  LJMax | Aug 21, 2015 |

This is the world. It is not the one we wanted, but it is the one we deserved. The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse roam the Earth, signaling the End Times for humanity, and our best hope for life lies in DEATH.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,021,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible