Nomad by J. L. Bryan

Nomad

by J. L. Bryan

205515,329 (4.33)2

Nomad is as a time travel story with a kick-ass, thinks on her feet protagonist following the theme of going back in history to remove the key individual who made it all go wrong. This is dream fulfilment really. If you said to a friend “What would you do if you could travel back in time”, the usual answers would be about lottery numbers or stopping Hitler. However, the things that don’t seem threatening to us now, like the insidious Pringles Corporation, might grow into mind-death behemoth sicko megalomaniac control-o-freak-o-monsters a decade or two from now (you heard it here first) and only people from the future would know it was going to happen (and me). They even admit it in their tag line: “When you pop, you can’t stop.” See? Why can’t either of us stop? Where’s it all leading? Am I the only one who’s even a little bit concerned at the suggestion there are other things you can use the tube for? I don’t think Haribo are totally trustworthy either because gelatine comes from boiling bones and where do they get that many bones? Well? I’m waiting for an answer to my NUMEROUS letters. Anyway…

…and I’m back in the room. Okay, if anyone’s still reading this (I’ve been awake for over 30 hours, by the way. You can probably tell from the sound of my eye-lids dipping against the keys), I don’t think I’ve mentioned yet that this is a really thumpingly exciting book and you should read it – an action flick blast of entertainment from beginning to end which I’m happy to recommend. I noted consistently readable writing, a strong plot, flowing momentum and it has some useful concept solving behind it (like how the Universe copes with a time travel paradox). Although it starts with guns as the solution, the heroine soon realises that option won’t work (she’s in a repetition loop) and tries to solve it in a more considered, feminine way, stalking a guy on a college campus. It’s interesting to see a soldier figure try to influence an outcome by talking to people and using charm instead of reaching for the usual blast grenade (I have a small, hard and knobbly, probably also clothy and tasteless pineapple in my room at the moment, which could be the most offensive piece of fruit in Hampshire today and it made me think of that).

I’m still thinking. Why are several people only giving this three stars when it’s a great example of its kind? Hint: It might be the suggestive cover.

I normally review the story, not the cover art, but I mean, did the publisher really ask someone to dress up like that? Where did they find her? The platform shoes look dangerously unstable, especially if she’s going to spend a lot of time in that position, and she also looks so lithe and thin, which is amazing really when you think of all the calories in cum. Seriously though, there’s a saying that you shouldn’t pass opinions until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes. If I tried to walk a mile in her shoes, I’d fall on my bum quite smartly. She’s described in the book as being covered in scars and bruises (it’s the shoes, I’m telling you. Really, the whole thing could be avoided). Enough then, sarcastic honour has been satisfied.

Laying aside my odd mood today, it’s only fair to say that I didn’t just like the book, I really enjoyed it. The chase scenes, cool technology, funny friendships, rock climbing, anti-social social cliques, dictatorial stuff, hiding in cupboards, cutting lasers, exploding cupboards, evil uncles, super-heated hydrogen pellets and all the rest really punched the adrenal gland and got my attention. If I’d written this I’d be proud of myself for a month. Usually I don’t review books billed as YA because they’re too simplistic but I think this has been mistakenly described as YA because it entertains beyond that limited age range; higher as well I mean, not younger. If you are a prude who has somehow purchased this without seeing the cover, it does have a few sexy moments described within but the author knows when to stop. As do I. ( )
  HavingFaith | Jun 1, 2017 |

Review Originally posted at: http://lbrychic.blogspot.com

Raven is a likable character. In fact, the author made you care for all the characters. As I was nearing the end of the story, I realized that it made me think of Doctor Who. How he travels back and forth through time to change things. This is the first book I've read by JL Bryan but I don't believe it will be the last.
I'd seen this book promoted on several facebook pages and thought it looked interesting. I held off on purchasing it at first just because I'd recently purchased several others. I jumped at the chance to win it when I saw LK Rigel's status. I started reading it immediately after I had completed the book I was on. Little did I realize how much I would LOVE this book in that I would stay up until 5 am reading the book. I reluctantly put it down with about 50 pages to go because I did have to work the next afternoon.
  eswaim | Feb 17, 2014 |
Sometimes I read books that are soo good, that I wonder why didn’t I pick up the book sooner? Why??? Now, when it comes to reading time travel, I’m very picky with it. Mainly because if the plot does not flow right, the plot can become confusing with a bunch of details with the story going absolutely no where. In Nomad, that is not the case. This story carries the plot right, and time travel is of essence.

Plot: Time Travel. Who does not like time travel? I adore this plot. Moving fast and intriguing, Nomad is freaking awesome. The gist of the plot is this: there is a girl sent back in time to kill a horrible dictator that will take over the world and all of humanity. Of course with author JL Bryan, you know that this plot is much more complicated that that. Believe me when I say, that you will fall for it.

Love: This love is so unexpected and completely took me over. Seriously, best plot twist ever!!! Just sayin’.

Ending: I have to admit that this ending is pretty amazing. JL Bryan fits all the pieces nicely into a ending that is complete and explained. If anything, I enjoyed the book so much, I wanted more. It completely blew me away. Pure genius.

If you can’t tell, I’m in love with this story. It’s fast and fierce, blowing everything you knew about time travel away. Nomad races across the pages, coming to life right before the reader eyes. Harmonizing a fantastic plot and explosive characters, Nomad is stupendous. ( )
  Bookswithbite | Dec 23, 2013 |
Just WOW! I have read almost all of Jeff Bryan's books and this one just really, really rocked! It's New Adult and if you're like me I haven't found much in that category that didn't seem to have sex as it's main story line. Not so with NOMAD. NOMAD has a plot that will have you on the edge of your seat, biting your fingernails. Here's why:

Raven is from the future that is torn apart by an evil dictator, Logan Carraway and his security force. Her mission is to kill him before he ever has a chance to become the evil dictator. But Raven has amnesia and is growing a conscience as she begins to remember. Used to kill or be killed on a daily basis, life in 2013 is full of plenty of food and shelter and even a sort of peace. Even if she has to look over her shoulder for security forces from her time. We get to see Raven's life through flashbacks, memories of life with her parents and what Logan Carraway's dictatorship did to the U.S., to her life. We understand her mission, but we have doubts as well when she begins to question whether assassination will be enough to bring about the change needed to protect the world from destruction. When Raven finds herself doing the opposite of what her mission is, she questions everything she knows about her world and the Logan Carraway of her time.

This is an action packed time traveling adventure. There is never a dull moment whether Raven is running from the security people in her time that have traveled back to kill her or she's trying to lure Logan in who is a thrill junkie, by rock climbing or doing something equally dangerous, the story is very fast. J.L. Bryan is not a writer that is given to overly descriptive passages or telling instead of showing. I felt like I was in the story, thinking like Raven (who goes by several names) always planning ahead or running from someone. The conclusion was satisfying and as it should be with all loose ends tied up.

I asked about sequels, but J.L. Bryan says none are planned at this time. I think we should all write emails and demand for more!! (Just a suggestion :) This is definitely my favorite of J.L. Bryan's novels so far, but then I think that every time. This is in the New Adult genre. The characters are in college. There are some sex scenes (tastefully done and not that many) and some violence. More violence than anything else.
A mature YA reader could handle this one easily. This is the first New Adult novel I have reviewed on my blog. NOMAD has a story to it, it's about the story and sex is safely on the side, a part of the story not the story. THAT'S how I like my New Adult!

Author Contacts
Twitter/ Blog/ Facebook/ Goodreads/

Again, I received a copy of this novel from the author for review. This in no way influenced me. The opinions expressed are my own. Thank you Jeff Bryan!! ( )
  hrose2931 | Aug 6, 2013 |
In J.L. Bryan’s version of the future, the United States is ruled by a dictatorship, the cities are war zones with armed forces battling rebels. This is the life Raven knows, trained since she was a child to fight. It is from this future that Raven travels back in time to change history.

The book starts with Raven appearing along a highway in 2013, she is disoriented and suffering from loss of memory, but she knows she doesn’t belong here because everything seems ‘wrong’. Almost immediately agents from her own time show up to try to kill her. As she regains her memories and uses information she has from the future, she realizes she is in this time period to change the future.

While there is plenty of action in the beginning of the book, it evens out. We follow Raven as she marvels at how different this world is from hers and realizes exactly what has to happen to bring about the desired changes. There are no big plot twists here but a solid plot line that heats up when necessary.

The action was easy to follow and there were no WTF? or huh? moments. What happens to Raven when she changes history is dealt with in a way that actually kind of made sense. As much as science fiction and fantasy can make sense. I would recommend this book. It is different from Jenny Pox, as much as two people are different but the same solid story telling is here as was in Jenny Pox. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Jul 25, 2013 |

J. L. Bryan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,418,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible