Rapture's Rain by Mr. Chris Pennington

Rapture's Rain

by Mr. Chris Pennington

adult (1) Christian (2) christian-fantasy (1) ebook (1) fantasy (1) FCM (1) fiction (1) Kindle (1) P (1) Rapture (1) suspense (1) to-read (5)

A nice blend of everyone-knows with nobody-knows, Chris Pennginton’s Rapture’s Rain follows the standard pre-millennial approach to the book of Revelation for just long enough to remind readers that interpretation doesn’t have to be fact.

The protagonist is introduced in a peaceful scene where readers learn his background much as they might in a chapter on real-life conversion. Accidental faith has become something more serious, but his wife’s beliefs are still deeper, and his trust might still be in human skills rather than divine. Still, there’s hope for him, until the Rapture sidetracks everything. And now, in a scene reminiscent of the TV series FlashForward, the world everyone wakes up to is subtly changed.

The science isn’t always convincing, with increasing polarities and over-simplified mathematics. And the American coincidence of letters in prophetic names invites questions of alphabets. But the story hangs together in its own way, with philosophical/Biblical discussion, high-tech security, and a classic lone-rider trek in search of human answers. A nice blend of failing civilization with hope and the power of love leads to a surprising conclusion. And nobody does know it all.

That said, I do wish “my entire life I’ve been an atheist. I’m a scientist,” didn’t seem to imply, whether deliberately or accidentally, that faith and science can’t peaceably coexist—they do for lots of us readers.

Disclosure: I was intrigued by this novel because of my faith-science background, and I was pleased to accept a free copy with a request for my honest review. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Feb 15, 2014 |
A marvelous book, at once comprehensive and highly readable, a fascinating analysis. Fast paced, intriguing, filled with love and drama. The story kept me reading from the very first page. The mélange of characters is exquisite--you want to dive into the book and give one of them a hug, or shake another in frustration. At moments I laughed out loud, or related to their pain.

The story is very fluid, making the reader turn the pages in anticipation. Chris Pennington is a skilled writer, and a wonderful storyteller who gives us characters with deep emotions. What more could you want from a good book?! The read was a pleasure, and I really didn't want it to end.

Chris Pennington is a writer at one with his characters and his landscape and his amazing talent as a story-weaver makes the reader grow to know and love both with equal passion. His writing is intelligent, humorous and skillful and his story flows so well that there is no place to say "well this is a good place to stop for today and pick it up again tomorrow" - you just have to continue reading. ( )
  MaryAnn12 | Sep 6, 2013 |
I absolutely loved the "Left Behind" series. This book ranks right up there with them. Although the difference is that all of the events are told in one book. Jason Stover is a non-Christian married to a wife, Kristina who is a Christian. They also have a daughter, Nikki, who like her mother is a Christian. Jason has just started going to a Bible study with his wife. He's made many friends there. He's working in his yard one minute and wakes up the next day to terrible news. His wife, daughter, most of the Bible study group, along with millions of others are gone.

Jason's best friend Mike and Jason's wife's best friend Erin meet up and come to the conclusion that God has come back for his people and they like many others have been left behind. As the world goes deeper into chaos, and is slowly dying their faith begins to get stronger. This author has created a fictional account that doesn't completely follow the Bible events. He has added his own twist on this subject. To me I believe this will make the book appeal to non-Christians just as much as it appeals to Christians.

As a Christian, believing that we are living in end times I found this book to come at the appropriate time. It is one I will recommend to my friends who are Christians and Non-Christians alike. I look forward to reading more from this author. ( )
  skstiles612 | Aug 24, 2013 |
What a great storyteller! Pennington has written a page-turner, and though the production is not the most professional, I guarantee the plot line will keep you engrossed.

In Pennington’s story, mass hunger follows an energy drop after about a third of the population simply disappears. Is it the rapture? Is an apocalypse on the horizon? Four friends gather for survival, and try to make sense of Scripture and science.

This is not another Left Behind lookalike. Pennington is not a Bible scholar, and if you’re hoping to learn about the end times, you’ll be disappointed. This is an unorthodox look at faith, at life’s simple purpose, and ultimately at good and evil. A little sappy, a little evangelical, but definitely recommended. ( )
  DubiousDisciple | Jul 24, 2013 |

In the aftermath of the world’s most catastrophic event, Jason Stover finds himself alone and on the verge of suicide. His family, along with millions of others, has suddenly vanished without a trace and the world as he knows it is starting to die. After a supernatural event, mysterious strangers begin to appear that may hold the key to his and the rest of mankind’s survival. The only question is will he be able to solve the mystery before time runs out. As the clock ticks down, he and his friends’ souls hang in the balance teetering between eternal damnation and ever lasting life. Rapture’s Rain is a provoking and unique journey that puts faith to the test in the ultimate battle between good and evil.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:07 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,990,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible